Author Topic: Grizzly 450 VS Kodiak 450  (Read 7999 times)

Offline NHProFF

• IceShanty Rookie
Grizzly 450 VS Kodiak 450
« on: Feb 23, 2008, 06:46 PM »
Nevermind... Sorry for the bad post. :embarassed:

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
Re: Grizzly 450 VS Kodiak 450
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2008, 05:57 AM »
 not a bad post! i have an old honda and have always kept an eye on new models, i've read up on both machines, and if i hit mega bucks i'd go with the Grizzly, all the features of it's big brother without the pricetag.  plenty of power on both machines but, the griz edges it out by abit.

Offline NHProFF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2008, 05:21 PM »
I had originally asked what the difference was. After a little more research I realized that when the Kodiak was still being manufactured, the Grizzly was only available in 600cc and up. Yamaha apparently decided to manufacture the Grizzly in a 450cc model starting in 2007 and stopped making the Kodiak (since they were one in the same at that point).

On another note, I was looking at purchasing the Grizzly 450 model because I assumed there would be a significant weight difference over the 660 and 700 models. After more research, I realized that there was no significant weight difference (7 lbs between the 450 and 700). I may have a difficult time deciding whether or not it is worth the extra $1200+/- for the bigger engine, with everything else being pretty much equal.

Offline Grizzly Rider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:39 AM »
I purchased a 2007 Yamaha 450 Grizzly a few months ago.  Its a camo model and had it decked out with a 3000 lb superwinch and a 60 inch Cycle Country blade.  I live in the country and we have been swamped with snow this year, almost 100 inchs so far this year.  My driveway is 150 yards long and I plow it with the Griz.  Not one single problem, more than enough power and I have snow piles over 5 foot tall along my driveway.............. ......

I used to plow my driveway with a Ford 8N tractor but since I got the quad I don't for one second regret selling the tractor and getting the quad.............and the past two weekends we ice fished a 8 mile long lake.   Purchased a Cabelas drop basket rack for the back that holds 3 buckets.  Tow my jet sled behind that holds my auger, heater, propane cylinders and all kinds of other junk along with the Shappel strapped down on top................mus t have traveled over 5 miles on the lake with the quad and preformed flawlessly.

As far as the 450 vs 600+ machines I can't imagine why anyone would want to spend the extra money for wasted horsepower..........if I can't do it with the 450 then it can't be done.................. ..

I have always been a Yamaha fan and the 450 Grizz. is just the catz nutz.........
Ride a grizzly or walk......

Offline NHProFF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2008, 01:12 PM »
I agree with you Grizzly, I cant see spending the extra 1200+/- for horsepower I wont really use. Plus the 450 is a little smaller and has a better turning radius which I am sure will come in handy when navigating through the woods (off trail) in and out of my hunting locations. Thanks for you feed back. I will definitely go with a 450. Now just need the $$.

I too am a Yamaha fan, not really sure why, but I have always been a fan of the Kodiak and Grizzly. They just look cool as hell.

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2008, 02:30 PM »
im looking at the grizzlys as well my only concern is towing my bass boat to the ramp and getting it out of the water its not a big boat 16 foot cajun but the ramp is at the end of my street and there is no place to turn around with a full size dodge so thats the only reson im looking at 700

Offline Bullseye6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2008, 05:39 PM »
I own a 2003 Kodiak 450 and couldn't be happier with its power and performance.  Very reliable, no mechanical issues from the day I got it.  Yamaha makes a good product, you wont be sorry with your purchase.

Offline pickeral boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2008, 05:43 PM »
My 01 is still in good shape and runs good. Check out the Polaris atp 500. Those are real nice machines too.

Offline NHProFF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2008, 05:53 PM »
I'm definitely thinking of buying a used one. Can't see buying new.

im looking at the grizzlys as well my only concern is towing my bass boat to the ramp and getting it out of the water its not a big boat 16 foot cajun but the ramp is at the end of my street and there is no place to turn around with a full size dodge so thats the only reson im looking at 700

From what I can see, there is only a 110lb difference in towing capacity between the 450 (1,102lbs) and 700 (1,212lbs). Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like enough of a difference in the two rigs to warrent spending the extra $$$.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:10 PM »
I guess the only reason I could think of to spend money for more horsepower would be that I didn't have low range on my quad.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.