Author Topic: clam fold over's and some miss. ?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline cmspence

• Team IceShanty Regular
clam fold over's and some miss. ?
« on: Dec 15, 2007, 11:46 AM »
hello all
first off i want to say that im new to the forum i live in michigan about 1/4 mile from lake erie in the monroe area.i been ice fishing for about 6 yrs i still consider my self a rookie.

most of my ice fishing buds moved up north so ill be fishing 80 percent of the time by my self so isold my clam 5600 today for 200.oo was just to heavy for me to tow by hand so i been looking around on this site and i went to cabelas to check out some shantys i came up with

1-i want a fold down type
2-i want a 2 man
3-something lite that i can pull by me self
4-dependable something i dont have to worry about wind

i like the clam guide alot and a was reading some info from this site saying it was the way to go but i noitced that the weight of the guide was 6 pounds more then the clam 5600 -to the people that have the guide does it feel like 76 lbs (i think that was the weight) or does it pull easy? would you say it pulled  50 percent better then the 5600 -give me some input on the guide the good and the bad

(i been still working on the search feature of this site sorry if this ? already been posted -thanks for your time and i hope i see some of you on the ice this year

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: clam fold over's and some miss. ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:03 PM »
I dont have a problem towing my guide around at all, and I load it up with all my gear, vex, aquavu and Jiffy gas auger..it travels much smoother then the cabin style for sure.

Offline cmspence

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2007, 08:10 PM »
thanks for the info helps alot

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:35 AM »
what you might consider is since you fish alone and have to set it up......you might build a sled that is raised up a bit (to reduce drag on the snow) and set the shanty on it. Its usually not the weight that kills you, its the drag or friction.  I have seen a sled that used cross country ski's, I say 1 man tow what i would say to be 200 lbs of equipment thru 4 inches of snow with 1 hand. Yet my shany weighs 82 lbs empty, and I can barely drag it thru 4" snow with 2 hands. Its all about the sled.

Offline cmspence

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:11 AM »
i agree with you about the sled i e-mailed clam to get some info and to see if i could mount the x-sled to the guide,but it wont work.

i herd that x sled works pretty well has a high angle up front.

they told me also it would be a good idea to install those skid bars on the bottom but i herd it makes the sled very hard to pull with those on.

i love the clam shantys,but seems like they could come out with a better pulling sled i would spend the extra money if they came out with a replaceable upgrade.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.