Author Topic: How often do you change your line?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
How often do you change your line?
« on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:24 AM »
Every year?  Does mono or floro break down or deteriorate? In other words, is there a shelf life for mono or floro line?
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How often do you change your line?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2007, 02:07 PM »
I always change my leaders and mono on my jig poles every year.  However, I will change a leader on the ice if I get into a good fish who takes me around the hole a few times.  No need risking a break off if a bigger fish hits next time.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2007, 02:23 PM »
usually once a year.

I test them out in the summer for panfish so that lets me know what condition the line is in
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2007, 03:25 PM »
How do I know when I purchase new line that it hasnt been "sittiing on the shelf" for a year or more.  How can I get assurance that I'm purchasing "fresh-line" and not line that was manufactured a year or so ago?
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2007, 03:27 PM »
In the summer I change line alot when I am fishing rocks and reefs. For winter I change it once a year unless there is something I dont like, if it seems to be breaking alot or etc. Certain mono and fluro will actually get sunburnt also...You can see this by looking at it and if it seems to have white brittle looking spots in it then it may need to be changed...I check this more in the summer when I leave rods in my boat.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2007, 03:31 PM »
I try and buy my line at stores that I know have alot of people buying products...ie, gander, cabelas, bass pro. These places have alot of turnover and they usually always have fresh line...Most baitstores in heavily fished areas will also usually have high turnover of line....Wal-Mart and other large stores not known for their fishing gear dont usually sell alot of line either...They may have line that will sit on the shelves for quite a bit of time. Also be sure when you are putting the line on that it is going on straight and not coiling....When you start respooling just stop for a second and if it is coiling flip the spool over..If it is coiling when you do this too tryin throwing it in a tub or in the water (summer) and the spool should untwist as you spool it on.

Robin

Offline icecav

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2007, 03:04 PM »
I change every year, but like some of the guys said if you get a big one that takes you aroundthe hole a few times I would change the line. When I change my line I take a small gatorade bottle with a small bolt in the cap and put it on my cordless drill. This is very fast, and when the bottle is full you can recycle the line. If you have any doubts about your line, just run your fingernail across the line to feel any knicks or abraisions. If so cut or change the line.
gone-fishing-IWL6

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.