Author Topic: Bait Up Minnow Jar  (Read 2791 times)

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bait Up Minnow Jar
« on: Mar 18, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Just heard about these. Anybody used them for ice fishing?

They look like something that would work really well for my set up provided it doesn't freeze on the way to my spot.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bait Up Minnow Jar
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2019, 03:46 PM »
Look like an awesome product.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2019, 12:04 AM »
It wasn't the same brand, but a buddy of mine brought something similar on a recent trip. We usually bring too many minnows to store them all in a container like that, but it was awesome to take a dozen or so minnows. He would take a half dozen or so from the main bucket and take them with him as he hopped from hole to hole so he didn't have to walk back to the sleds to re-bait. It was a neat little jar and I've been looking to get something similar.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:55 AM »
That's what I'm hoping to use it for. Either that or leaving the bucket at home when I'm hitting a lake for an hour or two after work.

Did he have to keep it in his jacket or anything to keep it from being a minnow popsicle?

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2019, 07:16 AM »
old 2 quart insulated water jugs work great too, pick them up at summer garage sales...what I use to run my bait to tip ups, just take it out empty and fill it up after you get out there keeps it from freezing up, and cheap :-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2019, 11:14 AM »
Depends on the weather. We had a few mild days where he didn't need to, and on the colder days he wasn't outside his hut more than 1/2 hour at a time so it wasn't the best test. I would think it would start to freeze up on a real cold day since it's not insulated.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2019, 08:58 AM »
I used a similar one (Genie Jar) all winter.  Worked great.  Saves weight and space in the sled.  Easy to change the water out too.  No problem with freezing since I usually kept inside the shelter with me.  On warmer days, obviously, it's a non-issue.  I'll be taking it trout fishing with me in three weeks for our trout opener too.  Highly recommend.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:49 PM »
Just heard about these. Anybody used them for ice fishing?

They look like something that would work really well for my set up provided it doesn't freeze on the way to my spot.

Someone didn't tell them water freezes below 32˚F. If you leave it on the ice and it's below freezing the top freezes to the body.
Bang it on the ice and your good to go. If you're driving by Westfield MA I'll part with 1 each of both sizes for $8 total for both.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:01 PM »
I used a similar one (Genie Jar) all winter.  Worked great.  Saves weight and space in the sled.  Easy to change the water out too.  No problem with freezing since I usually kept inside the shelter with me.  On warmer days, obviously, it's a non-issue.  I'll be taking it trout fishing with me in three weeks for our trout opener too.  Highly recommend.

DN

I think they're the same. I heard the company recently changed the name from something like that. Glad to know it workes out.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2019, 08:19 AM »
It wasn't the same brand, but a buddy of mine brought something similar on a recent trip. We usually bring too many minnows to store them all in a container like that, but it was awesome to take a dozen or so minnows. He would take a half dozen or so from the main bucket and take them with him as he hopped from hole to hole so he didn't have to walk back to the sleds to re-bait. It was a neat little jar and I've been looking to get something similar.

I have used mine in a similar fashion. Mine, likewise, is a different brand. I also intend to use mine in my canoe and prob for river fishing for rainbows.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Someone didn't tell them water freezes below 32˚F. If you leave it on the ice and it's below freezing the top freezes to the body.
Bang it on the ice and your good to go. If you're driving by Westfield MA I'll part with 1 each of both sizes for $8 total for both.

Wonder if you could slip one of those 1 lb propane cylinder koozies on it to help with freeze up. I always carry a small soft-sided cooler with me for my auger battery that would fit the bait too so I wasn't too worried about it as long as it wasn't prone to leaking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.