Author Topic: Southern NH Ice...  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
Southern NH Ice...
« on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:51 AM »
Planning a visit to the great state of NH this upcoming weekend.  Don't want to travel any farther than I have to...(increased fishing time).  How far South is everybody fishing?? Any input would be Helpful.

Thanks.
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Southern NH Ice...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:58 AM »
I went to my bros in mass drove down to all through southern nh, not looking good its like a different world, I wouldn't dare going anywhere south of concord just my opinion, really dramatic difference, I wasn't fishing but was looking at all the ice melt, crazy 
Salmonemia

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2019, 01:32 PM »
Thanks for the heads up...Fished Lake Blaisdell near Sunapee early season...Did pretty well.
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Still decent ice in southern NH, you just have to find it, and be smart about it.
I was on 14" Sunday, and that was below the Rte 4 line.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline PortaJohnBobHouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2019, 03:10 PM »
I was on 20” in Washington NH

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2019, 03:33 PM »
not sure how much ice but there were several people out in manchester and auburn saturday and sunday
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:00 PM »
there's plenty of ice in So. NH (~12").....but there's a few things to watch for.....
1) access - depending on which side the access is on, the ice is starting to pull away or get soft.  generally, north/east weaken first.
2) even if it's thick....some ice is getting soft/punky
3) pressure cracks opening up
4) ice on points - especially rocky points is getting soft
5) rivers/streams/bubblers - any moving water, etc
6) some smalller ponds are starting to soften up faster than bigger ones

i saw plenty of ppl out in Manchester.  i drove a little further NW this w/e & found 20+" of ice & nobody fishing.

i think if you're smart about it, you'll be fine.  when in doubt, just keep driving north until you find good quality ice.  :D

i remember being out years ago and the ice was 2' thick but very soft....i was pushing my auger thru the ice more than cutting....and ice was making a noise like soda bubbles.  decided to bail early and glad i did.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Pretty ugly by the end of the day on Saturday ..I’m heading north
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:51 PM »
Man in today and it wasn’t pretty ..he got out but his story he told on YouTube didn’t sound good..he’s a lucky fella
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline articcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Jibbs

I couldn,t find on YouTube.

Guy from NH?

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2019, 04:20 AM »

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2019, 09:43 AM »
I don’t wish going through the ice on anyone and glad no one was hurt or worse.
As for the kid and his video, it was minutes of my life I’ll never get back.
Not a fan of these GoPro blowhards that feel the need to document their lives on video...the epitome of the “me generation” that I have no use for.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2019, 09:53 AM »
I didnt find the utube video but here is the story https://www.wmur.com/article/man-taken-to-hospital-after-falling-though-ice-in-hollis/25593200

i think that's a different story & different pond?

Somewhere in Nashua??  Didn't watch the full video to find out.
&t=1187s

So maybe 2 ponds in the same general area....can't believe they had their truck out there.  The shallow ponds are softening up fast.  Maybe better to head north for better ice or head south for open water.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2019, 10:49 AM »
That’s funny, the rescuer is my friends brother in law... glad everyone was safe.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2019, 04:00 PM »
Man in today and it wasn’t pretty ..he got out but his story he told on YouTube didn’t sound good..he’s a lucky fella

Where about?

I know that the big lake(s) get at least one person that tries to defy nature and ride their sleds where they shouldn't, and sometimes pay dearly for it.
Then there are the people that think that short cuts and quick routes are better than the safer "long way" around on the ice.
(Like the lady a few years back that dunked her BF's new truck near Suissvale boat ramp)

Stay safe and you'll never be the one that people worry about, but rather the one they can count on!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Where about?

I believe the video is from Round Pd in Nashua NH.  Normally wouldn't spot burn, but posting b/c it's apparently not safe.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2019, 08:37 AM »
I don’t wish going through the ice on anyone and glad no one was hurt or worse.
As for the kid and his video, it was minutes of my life I’ll never get back.
Not a fan of these GoPro blowhards that feel the need to document their lives on video...the epitome of the “me generation” that I have no use for.
I pretty much agree with Mow.
I think the Reader's Digest version would have been sufficient.
"In a semi smart way", thinking this kid gives himself a little too much credit? Probably a symptom of the "me generation"?
This kid didn't follow so many basic rules of ice fishing!

BTW, I'm curious how many people take a shower before ice fishing? If so, why?

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2019, 08:51 AM »
"In a semi smart way", thinking this kid gives himself a little too much credit? Probably a symptom of the "me generation"?

Needs to look good for the camera....

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2019, 08:52 AM »

must be like deer hunting keep you scent down so you can sneak up on the fish!!  lol ;D
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2019, 09:29 AM »

I do so the guys I fish with will invite me back.  :thumbsup:

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2019, 09:58 AM »

i do for two reasons...helps me wake up and reduces the chance of having to do a courtesy wipe when I get on the ice..true facts

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2019, 10:10 AM »

CD another reason. When I have a heart attack I will be semi-clean when they cart me off to the emergency room.  ;D

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2019, 10:34 AM »
i do for two reasons...helps me wake up and reduces the chance of having to do a courtesy wipe when I get on the ice..true facts

LMAO...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2019, 11:31 AM »
I got tired of listening to this.

Glad the guy is alright. Glad he's a bit ice smarter now as well.

This is the reason you use a chisel (instead of a heavy auger) or a foot stomp to check the ice, Be proactive = use a chisel. Reactive is your ice picks to get your ass out, which I don't believe they had with them.

Plus always go back to the direction you came from.

A lot of lessons learned from these guys and again, glad he is alright and a bit ice smarter.

Thanks for sharing, maybe others will learn from their mistakes.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2019, 12:36 PM »
I got tired of listening to this.

Glad the guy is alright. Glad he's a bit ice smarter now as well.

This is the reason you use a chisel (instead of a heavy auger) or a foot stomp to check the ice, Be proactive = use a chisel. Reactive is your ice picks to get your ass out, which I don't believe they had with them.

Plus always go back to the direction you came from.

A lot of lessons learned from these guys and again, glad he is alright and a bit ice smarter.

Thanks for sharing, maybe others will learn from their mistakes.
Lots of good comments here, including Jiggin's on both counts. I was definitely thinking about picks. wondered how many slams it would take in punky ice? I suppose he was desperate enough to find the hard bottom eventually. I always wear them, particularly on first and last ice. I will say this, long before I spent mucho $$ on camera equipment, I'd buy a float suit. Cheap insurance! He alluded to them, but neglected to mention them.
This kid reminds me of people who buy a bunny for their kid at Easter. By fall, they figure they got all the knowledge necessary to write a "How to raise Rabbits" book!
I see it all the time.
Re: showers and scent, if you smell worse than the fish you're handling, I guess a shower is due?  ;)
CD another reason. When I have a heart attack I will be semi-clean when they cart me off to the emergency room.
Denny, take it from a semi professional, when you have a heart attack, you get expedited first class service. You get to look back and smirk at all the people bleeding profusely in the waiting room. If you smell really bad, you just get to go upstairs to your new room a little quicker.  ;D

Offline chasingflags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2019, 01:21 PM »
I believe the video is from Round Pd in Nashua NH.  Normally wouldn't spot burn, but posting b/c it's apparently not safe.

You would be correct.  I drive by it every day on my way to work.  Its one of the last to freeze over and first to open up every year.  As of this morning the pond is actually half open water. 
gbp on myfishfinder

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.