The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: O/T - Post Content and Differing Opinions  (Read 5627 times)

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
O/T - Post Content and Differing Opinions
« on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:26 PM »
Well, I may be opening a can of worms but I felt compelled to post after seeing two threads locked recently.  Both of these, particularly one, started out innocently enough. 

It is no surprise that different people will share different opinion on matters.  In the past, I've enjoyed these constructive dialogues, usually in person though occasionally online, as they've allowed me to think further about the way I feel about matters.  It seems it is becoming more common to see these discussions shift from the subject matter to engaging others on a personal level.  Perhaps it's that electronic form of communication can remove the human element, the stresses of modern life, or who knows what drives it.   

Anyhow, ever since fishing the Mousam derby years ago beside a friendly gentleman who asked if I was a member of this site (I wasn't at the time), I've enjoyed these boards though I may not post to "addict" level.  There's a sense of camaraderie and I enjoy seeing the vets help those who may just be starting out and lending a hand in that regard when I can.  I generally come here with limited time to relax and banter about Maine outdoors when I may not have time to be out enjoying it personally.   

Seems there are just some darn good people out there who share a common passion for ice fishing.  Hopefully we can manage to keep a good community of positive exchanges and sharing experiences.   My apologies for the longer read or if this was taken as a rant, just some thoughts I had today.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: O/T - Post Content and Differing Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Well said.  its certainly frustrating when folks have to point out typos or a missed word here or there (even though they can get the gist of what someone is saying) Unfortunately we have turned into a keyboard warrior society.  Most folks wouldn't dare say in person what they say on here (even if they say they would) hahaha.  We are all going to have a difference of opinions and just because we do doesn't mean one is right or one is wrong.  Its just personal choice.  However I believe we do all share something in common which is enjoying the outdoors.  The rest of the world crazy enough and a mess as it is, it doesn't need to carry over to this site when we do have so much in common.  Tight Lines

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:46 PM »
X2 Hue. Its too bad we didnt have an option to turn off comments on your own post. Farmer's post was  technically OT but the headline did say "Ice Fishers",  which makes it relevant here (and funny). Not sure if the journalist was trying to be PC - Ice Fisherpeople? Maybe they coined a new phrase? Either way, we knew where that thread was going...The other locked down post you mentioned really speaks to what CTF said. One of the few members that regurlarly posts fish, and great video...and obviously values the resource, gets blown up by one of the most rehashed debates on here. Might as well talk about how flat the earth is.
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Reading both of those Threads it is easy to see the Common Denominators........

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2019, 02:46 PM »
I don't understand why the threads get locked up.  Can the mods not delete specific posts they deem are too personal? I was part of one of them, and may have fueled it a bit, but I was just sharing my opinion in a non personal manner and felt like the discussion that ensued was more interesting than "nice fish" or "cool video". People need to learn to debate without name calling and other childish crap.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2019, 02:53 PM »
Just found the other one that got locked and can't believe it got locked, are we that sensitive?

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2019, 02:58 PM »
I don't understand why the threads get locked up.  Can the mods not delete specific posts they deem are too personal? I was part of one of them, and may have fueled it a bit, but I was just sharing my opinion in a non personal manner and felt like the discussion that ensued was more interesting than "nice fish" or "cool video". People need to learn to debate without name calling and other childish crap.

The horse is dead Nate, blue in the face, talking to a brick wall. I don't fish for Pike but once a year; it was a nice fish and a cool video but move on. Post some fish bub!

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2019, 03:21 PM »
I agree. I've asked about ice reports before and got alot of kick back like " go check your self." And alot of stuff like that. Why be on this page if your doing that stuff.

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2019, 03:52 PM »
I agree. I've asked about ice reports before and got alot of kick back like " go check your self." And alot of stuff like that. Why be on this page if your doing that stuff.

I hear you.  I fully understand and respect some people don't want to name bodies of waters for fear of crowding.  If one doesn't wish to give out info, it's easy to just not respond. 

I just recall a post someone in my area who didn't fish much was looking for a place to take his child.  I sent him a PM with a place that isn't much of a secret and subsequently received a nice message back about the great time he and his kid had.  For me, that was almost as good as a day out on the ice myself.   I also understand others may feel differently about that approach.

I think most are coming for a place of good intentions; just a bit surprising at two which required intervention in a short time.

Anyhow, good luck to all in their late season pursuits - won't be long before the open water season is upon us.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:07 PM »
The horse is dead Nate, blue in the face, talking to a brick wall. I don't fish for Pike but once a year; it was a nice fish and a cool video but move on. Post some fish bub!

So because some don’t want to read or talk about it the threads should be locked? Again I think everyone is being quite sensitive

I suck at fishing this year but here’s some

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:37 PM »
So because some don’t want to read or talk about it the threads should be locked? Again I think everyone is being quite sensitive

I suck at fishing this year but here’s some

If you fish, you dont suck at fishing Nate. Awesome pics man. Thats what its all about.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:41 PM »
It's not so much that people are sensitive. It's more because people are just arguing their opinion back and forth. I was a big part of both those locked discussions.and I will continue to have and argue my opinion. Don't much care about sensitivity or the shanty police. Freedom of speech isn't really a freedom if your censored.But I also like to give and get advice and have good conversation. :tipup:
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:24 PM »
Gary, what do you mean the world is flat??? 
Anyways, just because someone has the "right" to say something doesn't always mean it is correct to say, especially if it insulting to anyone else or intended to be insulting to a specific person.  Personal axes should be honed through PM's, .....imho
We are all on here for the same reason, we love ice fishing. And I am pretty sure no one likes getting slammed whenever they make a post of a "tank scrubber" brook trout they caught or asking a simple question. Congratulate the guy/gal, maybe that's the only chance they have to fish, unlike many on here that can invest much more time on the ice where many of us, myself included, wish we could be.
If you can't make a simple reply to the answer, leave the sarcasm in your house.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:20 PM »
 I find that the more people that post on this site the more we are able to understand how they look at different acts of fishing. The people that have positive  out looks are definitely good fishermen that eat their catch. ( smart food)  As I get older I feel more about sharing secret  hot spots . Remembering a tournament  down East on Round pond I drove many hours with my two boys to fish among many fishermen we all were with in a few feet of each other , and older people were using gear that had not been used for years ,old stick traps everywhere   , The 10,000 dollar trout were not caught .if they where still alive ,with all the Pickerel, bass and perch,   If all the bass and pickerel  caught had been cleaned the winning trout would probably have been found . We all need to share and fish along side of one another.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2019, 08:29 AM »
If you fish, you dont suck at fishing Nate. Awesome pics man. Thats what its all about.

I've definitely got the freezer filled pretty good but my big pike and bass missions didn't really pan out, but still has been an awesome year I love Maine more and more every time I go back.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2019, 08:54 AM »
It's not so much that people are sensitive. It's more because people are just arguing their opinion back and forth. I was a big part of both those locked discussions.and I will continue to have and argue my opinion. Don't much care about sensitivity or the shanty police. Freedom of speech isn't really a freedom if your censored.But I also like to give and get advice and have good conversation. :tipup:

I don't think we are sensitive, but the mods are being a bit sensitive I think, both those threads could still be discussed if they just deleted a few posts instead of locking the whole thing. I do understand that is probably annoying though, whos got time to watch a thread all day looking for bad posts.

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2019, 02:24 PM »
Are I a firsherpeople? Actually my real question is did either side feel sorry for the bait????
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2019, 02:44 PM »
I think you just need to start a thread like this and have at it . Those other locked threads we're post of fishing trips shared and drift away from the original post . I haven't seen a post started as debate  get locked . Just other post that turn into debates.

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2019, 03:36 PM »
It is unfortunate since we all enjoy the hardwater in one form or another.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Just found the other one that got locked and can't believe it got locked, are we that sensitive?

When you joined this forum you agreed to their terms of service. This a MODERATED forum and your 1st amendment does not apply. Ask me how I know.... ;D
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:16 PM »
And if I had the Ban Hammer you would be history.... @)
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:42 PM »
When people have different opinions there begins the animosity. So no opinions should be posted because it will cause arguments. So let's just have fun and share fishing stories. And don't dare give an opinion because it may make people disagree and get banned lol tight lines!  :tipup: Fish while you still can. Open water is coming soon

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:22 PM »
The "bickering" on here in 2019 isn't even a blip on the radar compared to the mid/late 2000's!  Even through all that , the group was much tighter back then, group outings like the Moosehead one was pretty much an every weekend occurence.   A ton of really good guys and fishermen have long since left I.S.  It is what it is, no biggey.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #23 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:36 PM »
The "bickering" on here in 2019 isn't even a blip on the radar compared to the mid/late 2000's!  Even through all that , the group was much tighter back then, group outings like the Moosehead one was pretty much an every weekend occurence.   A ton of really good guys and fishermen have long since left I.S.  It is what it is, no biggey.
X2

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:44 PM »
Hey what's a bunch of bickering and arguing amongst friends. I'll fish with any of the guys I've bickered with. Don't mean my opinion will change  ;D

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:45 PM »
i concur! ;)

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:52 AM »
Times will change, faces will change, fishing will change, along with Gamefisher, no biggie.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #27 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:17 AM »
I mean if you want to release pike back into Maine waters .👮😜

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #28 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:24 AM »
Is there any truth to the Sebago 2020 rumors.   Catch and kill all lake trout . Unlimited size and bag limits . With trash cans for unwanted fish and the boat launch ???

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Is there any truth to the Sebago 2020 rumors.   Catch and kill all lake trout . Unlimited size and bag limits . With trash cans for unwanted fish and the boat launch ???

Heard same thing. @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.