The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Maine Ice Fishers Spot Big Cat Biologists Say Could Be A Mountain Lion  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Full Article Here:  https://www.mainepublic.org/post/maine-ice-fishers-spot-big-cat-biologists-say-could-be-mountain-lion?fbclid=IwAR0VYSoLYlfUI2lA8IgCck30blTk2UPdATSYxcxek9tAxSjY-H1mem2GZfo

“Yule Hanson, who grew up and owns a camp there, says the big cat popped out of the woods and sauntered across a pond, about 300 yards away. He and another member of the party managed to take short — although grainy — videos of the animal.

"Oh yeah it's a mountain lion," says one member of the party.

"Look at that tail," says another.

The long tail mentioned in the video is important, because that would distinguish the animal from a lynx or bobcat, which have short tails.

State and federal scientists are reviewing the videos, as well as still pictures of what appear to be the animal's tracks.

"This situation is very much on our radar," says Scott McLellan, a biologist with Maine's Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Service. ...... “
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My buddy been seeing a lion and some wolves in limerick area for the past few years, but they don’t take his reports seriously. That’s one of the reasons I have a sidearm whenever I’m out in the woods. Even when I go squirrel or rabbit hunting with him, I’ll use a shotgun instead of a rimfire. Although he’s heard rumors that someone “took care” of them in the last year or so.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hopefully it doesn’t wind up like the one down in CT from a few years ago. Although I bet there are not as many highways up there.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
My buddy been seeing a lion and some wolves in limerick area for the past few years, but they don’t take his reports seriously. That’s one of the reasons I have a sidearm whenever I’m out in the woods. Even when I go squirrel or rabbit hunting with him, I’ll use a shotgun instead of a rimfire. Although he’s heard rumors that someone “took care” of them in the last year or so.
I'm guessing by TOOK CARE OF THEM means killed them. Kinda screwed up since they are protected animals.
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline marquette

• IceShanty Rookie
Mountain lions don’t play well with humans , pets and livestock.  There is a reason there was a bounty on them in the past.  I live in Minnesota and when they started moving in here a few years ago the DNR denied or discredited every report.  Now that they have admitted they are here they are protected unless they are attacking a person,pet or livestock.  Lots of argument if they are the reason for the decline in the deer and moose population in northern Minnesota.  If you think you need to carry a pistol while hunting (while also carrying a shotgun) imagine how a cross country skier or hiker will feel.  By the way I also own a cabin in Colorado at 9000 ft where mountain lions are sighted.  Colorado where if you saw on the news the hiker was attacked on a park trail just this past fall.  Mountain lions frequently are seen I western Denver suburbs.  They just killed a pride because the weren’t showing any fear of humans. Ask the parents of the Idaho springs high school student killed while jogging to school their opinion of mountain lions. So for the people that think it would be cool to have mountain lions back in Maine be aware of what you are wishing for.   

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You would think with 15 minutes of watching it they would have zoomed in🙄
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
I love this. Everyone's answer..... Just kill it. Invasive species.... Kill it......mountain lions.... Kill em......wolves.... Kill em lol wow

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
So great they actually got a video, even though should have zoomed in like mentioned haha.    I say that because I do not really believe anybody's sightings in the NE because everybody has an uncle or buddy who has seen 5 of em.  Without DNA, it cannot be confirmed.  Hoping to read a follow up article in the future

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So great they actually got a video, even though should have zoomed in like mentioned haha.    I say that because I do not really believe anybody's sightings in the NE because everybody has an uncle or buddy who has seen 5 of em.  Without DNA, it cannot be confirmed.  Hoping to read a follow up article in the future

I agree 100%.  It would have been really simple to get a better picture of the animal itself and the prints. It did mention some “questions”
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
I love this. Everyone's answer..... Just kill it. Invasive species.... Kill it......mountain lions.... Kill em......wolves.... Kill em lol wow
what's your answer?

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!

Education goes a long way.  Lets kill all the sharks cause they could hurt me.  Let's kill all the wolves cause they eat my sheep.  Lets kill all snakes cause some might be poisonous.  Come on man.   ::)

I keep trying to stay out of these kind of discussions but open your minds people!  There is a lot to learn in this world.  It's not 1932!

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
You can have all the wolves snakes and sharks you want just keep them in Connecticut

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
I'm with you Linedogg and PikeKing23.  To say I get way back up in the hills would be an understatement.  Never had a bad encounter with wildlife. Now, with people back at the trailhead parking lot and on the road home, that's a horse of a different color.  That's where the danger lies and I need to be on the alert to take care of it ;D

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Let me try to be a little more reasonable and provide another point of view.  Humans may be the top of the food chain but that does not mean that all other life is beneath us.  Every day you open your door, you take the risk of injury.  You are more likely to be struck by lightning then killed by a wild animal in this country.  It is more dangerous to walk down an average street than it is to walk through average woods. 

So how do we survive every day in this world with all the dangers that are present?  Education, planning ahead, being proactive, and mitigating risk.  We do not get rid of cars because they kill people because we NEED them.  We place VALUE on them.  So we live with the risk and try our best to avoid dangerous situations.  It cannot always be done, but  it is the chance we have decided to take.

I just wish everybody would put that same kind of mindset towards wildlife.  It is not YOUR planet.  This planet belongs to ALL life and you are not any more important or entitled that the next life form.  BTW I am not a tree hugger or bunny kisser even though this post may sound like it.  I have no problem bringing home a pile of fish and eating them.  I just don't agree with wasting life.

In my opinion, we would be lucky to have mountain lion and wolves back in this part of the country.  Don't we have a deer overpopulation?  Hmmmm.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
Like I said if they would stay in Connecticut that would be fine ! Jackman Maine is a whole different world ! The deer population has crashed there . Just another example of people spouting off that are not educated on the subject

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
Like I said if they would stay in Connecticut that would be fine ! Jackman Maine is a whole different world ! The deer population has crashed there . Just another example of people spouting off that are not educated on the subject

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Same world buddy.  Ha, ha.  ;D

I'm curious what Maine Biologists would say should be done?

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
Never been there I take it  ::)

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
what's your answer?
My answer isn't kill everything because it may be dangerous. People kill people all the time. Because they are afraid of them or don't like them.They go to jail for it.
 What is different about wildlife? Wildlife was here before humans.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Same world buddy.  Ha, ha.  ;D

I'm curious what Maine Biologists would say should be done?

Read the article. Bios have removed the distinction between  eastern cougar and other cougars so they are not considered spectate species. There’s a reason for that.

Also this cat is probably just another “wanderer”. One a few years back was cited in Northern VT, then southern NH, then MA, and finally CT were it was run over. Genetic analysis proved it came from SD. Their range is unbelievably huge. There are sightings from time to time back east, but every bio I have talked to about them says until they can prove their are not just passing through, there’s not much they can do.

Also 99% if the sightings reported are just misidentification.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!

Never been there I take it  ::)

Funny how you get personal towards me and comment on one small portion of my post.  You don't have any idea where I have been.  Why don't you comment on the rest of the post?  About the value of life and the importance people place on it based on their own self perspective?  How about the fact that our forefathers had the same attitude until they realized that conservation was necessary to maintain the balance of our natural world.  You know....the natural balance that is required to keep our world alive?  The world we need to live?

But you are probably worried only about Jackman, Maine.  Or maybe just your street?  Or your yard?  That type of short sightedness is what led to the philosophy of conservation, in the first place.  As a species, we learned from our mistakes.  I guess some individuals still have not. :(

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
I never cease to be amazed, as how an informative post, can become a bitter debate and narrative slashing!

Probably why my responses are limited.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.