The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Newbie question:Ice safety  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Boarnold

• IceShanty Rookie
Newbie question:Ice safety
« on: Mar 13, 2019, 11:42 AM »
I'm wondering how much nice weather it takes to make ice unsafe. I was hoping to get onto Alford Lake this Sunday.

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Newbie question:Ice safety
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2019, 11:54 AM »
Honestly, at this point it would take A LOT! The past 3 times I've been out (over probably a 3 or 4 week period) almost every time I've had at least 20" of ice, maybe more. I don't think you'll have any problems for a bit. If you're ever concerned later in the year make sure you bring your chisel and check but I can't imagine even a week with 40-50 degree weather would wreck the 20+" of ice almost everywhere has.

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2019, 12:08 PM »
Later in the year you want to stay away from areas where there us current, and rocky points/shorelines. Where I normally fish there is at least 30 inches of ice all over the lake, but a buddy of mine drilled a couple holes Sunday right close to shore in the rocks and found a couple places with only a foot or less ice.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2019, 12:26 PM »
The problem isn't always the ice thickness but how much slush there will be. If you don't mind trecking through slush it should be safe for awhile.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2019, 01:31 PM »
The ice will hold amazingly well as long as the snow pack on top remains.  Once the snow melts away ice conditions will change rapidly due to temps and sun angle.  Like Silversides said, rocky points and current areas deserve your attention.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2019, 03:21 PM »
Ice melts from underneath ,all the time with moving current ,spring holes brooks streams .Look at maps close and notice where tributaries run in  Narrows will sometimes freeze when lakes are high but when they are low they open up fast. when fishing a body of water for the first time the best thing you can do is find someone that is local that has been around the body of water for a long time!!!!!!! and fish with them.  Good luck

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2019, 03:33 PM »
When snow melts water levels rise. That makes the edges go first. Usually if you can easily get on the ice the main body of the lake will be safe. Current, springs and rocks wil be the first places to melt.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2019, 04:23 PM »
Check the ice as you go, get a spud.
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2019, 04:32 PM »

Shrinkage is wise!!

Follow his advise and you'll never have to say
"I was in the pool"
 ;D

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:24 PM »
I'm with Snitch on that. Honeycombed ice is bad news
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:01 AM »
I was in Maine 2 weeks ago and NH last week, each had 18-26 inches of hard ice, you'll be fine if that lake has no springs and the slush isn't too bad.

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:01 PM »
A lot of good feedback here.  I suspect you'd be fine but always good to err on the side of caution, particularly with warmer temperatures and rain.   If you don't know this body of water well, including currents, shallows, springs then do some research.  Drill test holes as you go out - this will give you an idea of the depth and composition of the ice.

I like to say ice fishing is a great sport that I enjoy but not one I'd be inclined to die for.   Be safe and have fun. 

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:07 PM »

Get some picks too in case you do go in. I always have mine on in any kind of questionable ice conditions.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:26 PM »
Do you guys spud when there is a foot of snow and slush on the lake?

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:43 PM »
The auger was down to the motor before breaking through on Great pond last weekend.  Shorelines will start being iffy and any areas with moving water will go fast.  Number one item is to check regularly if you're not familiar.  I've been out in March before where at the end of the day you can dig your heel through 4 inches of honeycomb ice that was solid in the morning.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2019, 02:33 PM »
I have never gone on the ice without my spud.  Even when I've driven my truck out on 3.5 foot of ice, my spud was with me.  It "never" hurts to check the ice periodically while going out to check and see what your on.  I can tell with one whack of my spud what the ice is like.  I usually hit the ice just about every step, while walking out.  I have been walking along on a good three of four inches and hit the spud the next step and it disappears.   NOT a good feeling!  It sure makes you put on the brakes and throw it in reverse quick.

I do the same thing on early or glare ice, but feel like it is less reliable when I can't hear or see the hit because there is a bunch of snow and slush.  If I'm fishing a place I have been to recently and there was 1-2ft of good ice the spud is staying in the truck usually. Do you keep the door of your truck open and spud from the seat?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2019, 02:43 PM »
I have seen ice a foot thick that a 80lb kid couldn't walk on.  Ice thickness doesn't have a dam to do with how safe it is.  What matters is the kind of ice your standing on.  If the ice is dark and solid your in good shape.  Or even white on top and dark underneath it.  As long as you are on some good dark ice.  Even if its only three inches it will hold most people.  However, when it starts to warm up the ice has a tendency to get honeycombed.  When that happens you can take your spud and hit the ice and it will go all the way through a foot of ice.  The ice will actually look like long ice crystals.  I wouldn't trust any honeycombed ice, not even if it was two foot thick!

This is honeycombed ice !!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2019, 03:33 PM »
I fish most every day and have noticed its a lot easier to drill a hole now. Ice this time of year gets soft quick.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:38 PM »
I fish most every day and have noticed its a lot easier to drill a hole now. Ice this time of year gets soft quick.

Rub it in!
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.