The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 2018 - 2019 end of the (game fish) season... Panfish game on!  (Read 1301 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Braved the cold (again) and wind today to close out the 2018 - 2019 WI season. Not below zero but never got out of single digits with a good stiff breeze all day. On the ice @ 6:00 and flew the Shanty Militia colors on Fox Lake:

Worked way too hard for small perch and a coupla gills, had a 28ish pike mid-morning and suffered the Dead Sea till 4:55. In 20 minutes two of us had 5 flags, missed three that were taking line (1 for me and Kyle missed 2), Kyle had one wire leader torn off a locked up spool while he was tending one of the other flags and I finally landed a nice fat 31". Not a monster like the New York boys put up today (congrats to them!) but a decent fish for around these parts (if I could only feed 'em trout n whitefish  ;)2). Gotta get up to Sturgeon Bay for those 40+ pigs but that's a hike for me. One day...

Note the IS headgear under the hood  ;D

Still a few open season spots for some eaters down here I'll be working but I'm waiting for some warm weather (for a change).

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: 2018 - 2019 end of the season...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:02 AM »
END??? Noooooo, we got a ways to go yet with pannies. Don't quit. With the way this winter has gone, we might ice fish the walleye opener again!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 2018 - 2019 end of the season...
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:19 PM »
The end?? I just got on my first "late season" crappie bite this weekend. Fast, furious and giants. Should keep getting better from here on out! I will bet that ice goes quick once it starts warming up with all the snow. Shore lines will get eaten up pretty quick.
Da Pack!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: 2018 - 2019 end of the (game fish) season... Panfish game on!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2019, 02:26 PM »
OK guys, of course you're correct. Since my usual focus is with other species and never having a mentor for jigging skills it was unintentionally overlooked. I've got a pile of good (to great) tools and always had an intention to broaden my horizons so this is as good an opportunity as any. It'll be challenging. Though I'm not completely stupid I'm not necessarily skilled either.

Got a sleeper local lake with some surprising perch that never gets pressure for that. My St. Germain buddy has been trying to get me onto the tip-down bite too so I'm not without opportunity. Just gotta navigate the learning curve.

Toward your comments, I've modified the topic title, fair enough?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2019, 02:43 PM »
Or, go fish the Mississippi and never stop chasing toothy fish. My advice going forward would be to fish 2 tipups and 1 panfish rod. But you do what's best for you.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2019, 03:24 PM »
I want to head down to Venice, LA and Redfish. I know nothing about either LA or Redfish

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:57 PM »
All those options... I'm always up for an adventure but I'm an old guy and need to make the most of my time. If someone wants to show me around the Mississippi a bit or even school me on proper pannie locations and techniques I'd be forever indebted. Building even a reasonable learning curve just takes more time than I've got left. When I think of how good I am at what I do best and then consider the time I've spent getting there, well...

I could do some salt too 52. Louisiana, eat, drink, fish...  ;D Tarpon, just wow. Of course 'cudas and sharks draw me but that's almost a given. Redfish, bonefish, north for halibut, billfish, my Okie uncle wants me to come down to Texoma for stripers (I know, not salt). OK, I confess, anything that swims is fun for me. Spring carp with my son when he was 5, or cats and bullheads or it really doesn't matter all that much. As long as there's water, hard or soft and fish I'm in.

Never was much of a fish snob but LMB still stink and trout are overrated.  ::) ;)2 Not tryin' to start a war, just me.

There's even a slough just down the road a coupla miles that is open year round and draws some pike from time to time. Not a big spot so you can do some serious damage when it's on. Still, pannies are clearly the way to quality fishing time and good eats. Got an open seat? I can travel and been known for providing good food, drink and cigars if you're so inclined.

As late season approaches, let's all be careful even though ice here (in the north at least) looks to be extremely persistent.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2019, 06:38 PM »
As late season approaches, let's all be careful even though ice here (in the north at least) looks to be extremely persistent.

You're going to be ice fishing for the gamefish opener up there! I think you need to get your new sonar setup squared away for late season panfish!  :) ;)

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2019, 07:26 PM »
esox, is that maple point in the background on your first pic and devils island in the background on the second pic? 

I don't fish fox a ton, but I'm only 20 minutes from it.  Late season crappie bite is coming soon (I think), ready to have some fun with the tip downs. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.