Author Topic: Strikemaster 40v or ion x ? Confused??  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Strikemaster 40v or ion x ? Confused??
« on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:14 AM »
I have a jiffy model 30 in the shop for 2 weeks now. Im going ice crazy! I'm working 19 days straight, and now we have some safe ice in ne pa. Im thinking of buying a electric auger. Dont want to spend $500 now but I want to go out fishing. Which auger is better strikemaster 40v or ion x or the ion g1?  Both have 5 amp battery, they charge in 2 hours? Im looking at the 8 inch. I like to hole hop sometimes drilling 50 to 60 holes. Thanks ???

Offline huntinfool18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Strikemaster 40v or ion x ? Confused??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2021, 05:35 AM »
I picked up a strikemaster 40v a few weeks ago. It replaced a Eskimo m43 gas auger. The strikemaster is a million times better then my gas one. It cuts twice as fast. It’s quite. It’s lighter. No gas fumes. I can’t speak for the ion but I can say I will never own a gas auger again. Mine has a 10” bit. I cut probably 45 holes in 10” of ice the other day and it only used 1 bar on the battery. I would think an 8” would have quite a bit better battery life.  If you do get the strikemaster you won’t be disappointed, might even take a look at the strikemaster 24v. It a bit cheaper then the 40v but might not meet the battery life requirements. I think they say 50 holes through 16” of ice on a single charge with the 8” bit

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2021, 05:45 AM »
Blades ...StrikeMaster  Lazer/curved blades  unit..they dont like dirty ice with composite flighting .. IONs has Mora/shaver blades ..better in dirty ice has with some skill set can be hand sharpened . The G2 has composite flighting the ION X has steel flighting . G2 is faster then the X . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2021, 07:40 AM »
Thank u

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2021, 10:20 AM »
Lazer blades, in my mind, are still shavers as opposed to chippers (think K-Drill, some versions of gas powered Strikemasters and Jiffys). Just a little different design, curved vs flat as noted. Not really sure why they might not do as well in dirty ice as Moras. Moras ARE easier to touch up at home though vs lazer blades.

Both styles of blades ARE sensitive to being damaged easily, again, as opposed to chipper style blades. If you've ever used a Mora hand drill you should know. First drill I ever owned was a Mora and my first blades barely lasted two weeks. I learned not to use it as a walking stick  ::), leaning post or to bang, ding or bump the blades in anyway. Then I could get 3 - 5 years before I needed to sharpen them.

I believe the Strikemaster will have a centering point which helps keep the blades off the ice until you actually start to cut. Can't speak to the ION.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2021, 11:49 AM »
Yep, the Lazer powered blades are almost identical to the Lazer hand auger blades, just with a few small serrations in them to make bigger chips. I actually have a set on my hand auger because of an order mixup last year. They work just fine. They turn a wee bit harder than the hand blades, but not enough to be a real noticable difference on my 7".

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2021, 01:02 PM »
I have the SM 40V and I love it. depending on ice thickness, 50 or 60 holes shouldn't be a problem at all with one battery.

That said, I  used my buddys ion and i didn't like how low to the ice it was, not sure of that has been changed with the newer models

But for hole hopping and ice under 12 inches, I use an 8" lite flite and a Milwaukee which is IMO is the best option for weight and mobility, costs would be nearly the same as the 40V but you also get one hell of a drill to use at home going with the lite flite route
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2021, 03:22 PM »
Thank you

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2021, 03:35 AM »
I have the Ion X with the 10” bit. My buddy has the 10” SM 40V. The SM is a better faster auger by far. Both are good augers but if I was buying again it would be the SM.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2021, 04:31 AM »
Thanks

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2021, 07:13 AM »
This is my third season with ion 8". I wanted a strike master but the ion was the only thing available when I was in the market (got the last one at an end of season sale). I don't regret it.

I haven't noticed any issues with the blades. I have a 7" mora I use occasionally and the blades on the ion last way longer than my mora blades.

I haven't used the strike master but I suspect you can't go wrong either way.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.