Author Topic: Electronics  (Read 2219 times)

Offline ijustwannafish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Electronics
« on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:03 AM »
I'm not sure what I wanna buy. Either a camera or a flasher. I do alot of perch fishing and sometimes fish deeper for trout.im just not sure what will suit me better.any help?

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Electronics
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:36 AM »
A flasher is definitely what you want. Cameras are great, but the risk of losing a fish on my cable isn't worth it to me.

You could get something like the Garmin Striker 4, which has flasher capabilities, traditional sonar, GPS mapping and still be under $200.

I use a Vexilar FL8SE, which is simply just a flasher, and I wouldn't ever fish without it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:38 AM »
deeper the water the less light for the lens to see. sonar doesn't use light. i have both and rarely does the camera come out.

perch are bottom hugers so you'll want a sonar with good target separation. you'll want a narrow beam also for deeper water at least.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:54 AM »
Another vote for a fish finder over a camera. I hardly use my camera. I have a fish finder that I use 99.9% of the time. It has a built in flasher if you like that option too. You can find fish much faster with fish finder. And cover more water (hole hopping and in the water column itself).

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:34 AM »
deeper the water the less light for the lens to see. sonar doesn't use light. i have both and rarely does the camera come out.

perch are bottom hugers so you'll want a sonar with good target separation. you'll want a narrow beam also for deeper water at least.

This.

A flasher isn’t dependent upon water conditions and visibility. You can use it any color water. A camera needs ideal conditions to perform at its best. A camera is a great way to physically see what’s in the water and that doesn’t always mean fish (bottom composition, structure, weedlines, etc.). That’s why I want a camera. To better learn the physical structure of the lakes I fish so next time I do fish, I have a better idea of what’s going on under the ice in the first place.

Both are great tools but I agree with the others that a flasher would be much more beneficial to you at this point in time over a camera. And for the price (assuming a budget unit) you can get a better quality flasher than you can a camera.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:01 PM »
A flasher is definitely what you want. Cameras are great, but the risk of losing a fish on my cable isn't worth it to me.

You could get something like the Garmin Striker 4, which has flasher capabilities, traditional sonar, GPS mapping and still be under $200.

I use a Vexilar FL8SE, which is simply just a flasher, and I wouldn't ever fish without it.
..no electronics work when the fish are tight lipped...  ;D..nice meeting you the other day..

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:30 PM »
I'll chime in from Montana. Flasher all the way. Cameras are fun, but as a few other have said, I'd leave home without my camera, I would return home to grab my vexilar if I happened to leave without it. FL8 is a great entry level flasher. I have a fl22HD which unless you find it used somewhere, you can't purchase any longer, but I outfish my buddy who fishes without as a general rule 3 or 4 to one. Helps so much when the jumbo perch are just mouthing the bait. Feel tension on the line, see the red line on the flasher and set the hook.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:37 PM »
I've gotten all the way to the lake and went back home to get mine before..cameras only good for finding structure.i love my Garmin striker 4..167 free shipping no tax...northern Marine that's the package case battery unit transducer.and u don't need the ice ducer works perfectly fine without spending the extra 100

Offline ijustwannafish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Thanx guys I wanna spend around  300 bucks if I can

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07:53 AM »
..no electronics work when the fish are tight lipped...  ;D..nice meeting you the other day..

Hahaha ain't that the truth!!!

It was great meeting you, too! See you out there this weekend?

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:14 AM »
For under $300 the Humminbird ice-35 has dual beam 9 and 19 degree which is a nice feature for weeds and zoom which are nice features. Also has a nice big display I don’t know how it does over 40’ deep as I don’t really fish deeper than that. Although for under $200 the Garmin Stryker would be hard to beat also. I find if you have used boat graphs for a while the graph style fish finders are an easier transition. Whatever you get it will greatly improve your catch rate

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:06 PM »
Hahaha ain't that the truth!!!

It was great meeting you, too! See you out there this weekend?
....I'll be out before the sun is up gotta get that crappie bite don't need any electronics for them out there

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2019, 02:28 AM »
Thanx guys I wanna spend around  300 bucks if I can

For about $250 you can get a refurbished FL-8 Genz pack from Vexilar. Comes with 2yr. warranty on unit and 1yr. on battery. Great little unit and bulletproof. Been using it for over 20yrs.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:44 AM »
Buy a vexilar glow ring when you purchase your unit as well. You won't regret that either. LOL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:39 AM »
I have add this to several posts that suggests refurbished or reconditioned equipment. Many times the unit was purchased the buyer opens the box and then changes there mind. Sends it back, never having used it. To resell it it has to sold as reconditioned. Plus as was mentioned you still get the warranty! Have purchased several reconditioned items never had an issue with any of them.
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.