The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: O/T Senate Shellfish Bill: MDI/Acadia  (Read 848 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
O/T Senate Shellfish Bill: MDI/Acadia
« on: Jan 14, 2019, 08:28 AM »
The issue of harvesting worms, clams and seaweed from the shoreline surrounding the park came to a head in 2016 as Acadia rangers increased their scrutiny of such activities and, at times, have told harvesters they have to leave. The bill, if approved, would allow clammers, worm diggers and other marine harvesters to continue to ply their trades by traditional means in the intertidal zone along the park’s shore.

“For generations, Maine harvesters and wormers have provided for their families on the flats of Acadia’s intertidal zones,” Sens. King and Susan Collins, and U.S. Reps Jared Golden and Chellie Pingree said Friday in a joint statement. “These companion bills build on feedback from the local community to find a solution that protects local people and longstanding local rights and ensures the National Park Service remains a good neighbor to its surrounding communities.”

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/01/13/news/hancock/maine-delegation-reintroduces-bill-to-allow-clam-worm-digging-in-acadia/?mc_cid=9491fe1e50&mc_eid=bc90de343f

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: O/T Senate Shellfish Bill: MDI/Acadia
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:15 AM »
These Bills are just working our state and country closer to another civil war. We just keep electing the wrong people..

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2019, 10:38 AM »
These Bills are just working our state and country closer to another civil war. We just keep electing the wrong people..

Actually, This shellfish bill is really good news. I and many around here have harvested the flats adjacent the park forever. Hopefully this will keep it that way. Good bipartisan effort!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:12 PM »
I know it’s silly and I know the park is what brings all the tourism and keeps the island beautiful by not selling all the land to rich people. Otherwise this island would be covered in mansions even more than it already is. BUT when they try to take away fishing rights and try to control every aspect of island life while in return giving nothing back ( no free park pass, no local perks of any sort) it really gets me. The island existed long before the park and there was a group of islanders who fought the park at the beginning. I was born and raised here and love the park but I think they are being too controlling, have too many police (park rangers who wish they were police and act like giant a holes almost exclusively) and don’t give anything back to the local people except a headache and never ending line of crappy, clueless and idiotic people driving through our towns. The fact that they tried to shut down clamming and worming  in 16 just strengthens my arguement. I am happy to hear this bill is backed and will hopefully allow the continued traditional use of island resources.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:17 PM »
It's amazing how certain governmental entities can find ways to make it tough for the hard working folks.

As for the park RANGERS, there are some good ones but there is always the 'wanabe". After 35 years in law enforcement I can attest to that.

The issue at hand here is the question; What harm are they doing to the ecological system? Answer; Nothing!

I'm a recreational gatherer of "hen clams", love the exercise, enjoy eating them. But, after digging soft shell clams, I will
NEVER complain about their price when I buy them, which now is whenever I want some!

I can't think of another way to make a buck, that's harder work.

I hope you shell fishermen & women get your areas cleared.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2019, 05:44 PM »
I get the stuff about leaving areas pristine or bringing places back to that. BUT shellfish and sea worm harvesting  are not detrimental to the overall flora and fauna of a place. The people that harvest these areas are no different the the original inhabitants before Europeans got here. It’s a way of life. The harvesters are among some of the freest people in the Country. We live with and from what the clean and protected environment offers. We have to work the tide, yet we control our time and lives ourselves. Thankfully, there are some that realize the value of the resources and those that work and live there!
It's amazing how certain governmental entities can find ways to make it tough for the hard working folks.

As for the park RANGERS, there are some good ones but there is always the 'wanabe". After 35 years in law enforcement I can attest to that.

The issue at hand here is the question; What harm are they doing to the ecological system? Answer; Nothing!

I'm a recreational gatherer of "hen clams", love the exercise, enjoy eating them. But, after digging soft shell clams, I will
NEVER complain about their price when I buy them, which now is whenever I want some!

I can't think of another way to make a buck, that's harder work.

I hope you shell fishermen & women get your areas cleared.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Good news. It passed.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.