Author Topic: Oldest Tip Ups in your Arsenal  (Read 11193 times)

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Oldest Tip Ups in your Arsenal
« on: Dec 25, 2018, 07:46 AM »
What's the oldest TIP UP you have in your ice fishing arsenal?

I have some old wood Tip Ups from the 60's.. Still functional & serviceable & that I still use... that's nearly 60 years old!

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Oldest Tip Ups in your Arsenal
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2018, 07:24 PM »
  Beaver dams. Little over 40 years old. Still going and smooth turning.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Most of mine are polars less than 5 years old, however I bought a couple original polars from a flea market for $2.50 each, man those things are SWEET! I dont know how old they are but they look old, you can tell its the old style heavy-duty plastic and not the new crap.

I also grabbed a couple old wooden tipups from someone on the pay it forward thread for a buddy of mine, we still set them up when he brings them and they work just fine. They are antiques.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:37 PM »
I still have and use tip ups that are older than me , I'm 53.
I have about 50 vintage traps , some hand made.  I'm liking the fact that most are simple and dependable .
Just did an experiment on 5 that I haven't used in about 30 years. Soaked them in leftover peanut oil then letting them sit by woodstove to dry.
Could be good,  could be bad. We'll see.
My goal is to pass gear down through generations as it was built to last

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2018, 08:07 PM »
I have some tipups from back when I was in high school - 49 years ago along with a spoon hand auger

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2018, 09:33 AM »
I have two Beaver Dams that must be 40+ years old.

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2018, 09:50 AM »
37 year old Beaver Dams. Work like the 1st day I purchased them and I never did re-lubed them either.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2018, 02:38 PM »
I have some old Beaverdam's I still use along with some "Never-Fail" jacktrap style that I believe are from the 1950's-60's era.  Also use a few wooden "Mr. Tip-Up" windlass style, but those are relatively new.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2018, 04:36 PM »
Most of my Beaver Dams are in the 15+/- year old range, but I do have one of the old green boards, I have no idea how old that one is, anyone know when the original green board Beaver Dams were made?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2018, 05:59 PM »
I have 6 Beaver dams. 2 are from the late 60's, 4 are from the mid 70's.

WS

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2018, 06:40 PM »
Im also running a few beaver dam tipups from the 60s.

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2019, 02:01 PM »
I have some heritage lakers that were my fathers that have to be 30 years old.

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2019, 03:20 PM »

Got four of these few years back. Not sure how old they are.

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2019, 03:38 PM »
My Dad’s and uncle’s and the ones that we’re bought for me when JC Penny had a sporting goods department at the Viewmont Mall in Dickson City, PA. I’d say around 1977. Look like they are 40 up tip ups and came painted black. Plan on using them again this year.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:09 AM »
I have two beaver dam tip ups i bought 37 years ago for $13.89 each. They work as well today as they did new. Have never re-lubed them. I did buy some old ones several years back that needed re-lubing. They spin very well now.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:05 PM »
I collect and use all Fishcrafters.  Probably 50+ years old.  Bought some Jacktraps a few years back and returned them, have a bunch of Heritage Lakers, never use them.  Just something about the old  Fishcrafters that I love.

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:10 AM »
Beaver Dams, I have had for around 40 years but they were used when I got them.  Re-Lubed once and run perfect.
Shane

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:43 AM »
I bought 3 Polars in '81. I think they were $5 a pop, Beaver Dams were like $15. Still got 'em. The oldest are some my Dad had when he was a kid in the late '30s - into the 40s. No name, simple cross arm sticks with an underwater spool. Probably not this year but next I wanna spool at least a couple up and use 'em at least once. Also have three original Worth magnetic popups I got from a guy last year just for curiosities sake.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:26 AM »
I have five of these. They are the first tip-ups I ever own, bought them some 42 years ago. On the reel it says, Riverside MFG. Co.  Worchester, Mass. I decided to look it up. Found them being sold online as "vintage", just about anything else I have hung on to...

I still use them in ever once in a blue moon just to reminisce a little.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2020, 12:47 AM »
I have a set that my grandpa used as a kid and were hand made by my great grandpa. My grandpa was born in 1922 so they are from the 1930’s.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2020, 04:10 AM »

I have a set like yours Bart I packed away,  haven’t used them in decades

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2020, 07:17 AM »
I have wooden ones my dad bought me when I was about 8 years old and I'm 50 now. Still work great. Never had the need to buy new ones.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2020, 07:44 AM »
I have 50 year old fish crafters with running flags still being used, also have hi flags from the seventies they are my favorites, and I have heritage Lakers that I seldom use.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Like Iceman and Thor94, Fishcrafters are my choice.  They were all my dad and I used when we ice fished together back in the mid-60's and early 70's.   He used them long before I started fishing with him, so I would say they were first used in the early 50's.  Wonderfully simple, effective, and of the highest quality.  In addition to my dad's, over the years, I have collected about 30 of them.  Fishcrafters was headquartered in Worcester, Massachusetts.  I have tried but can't find any historical information about them on the internet.  I will keep using them and will probably start giving some to my nephews and other younger relatives who have children of their own and want to start ice fishing.   Hope they enjoy them as much as I have.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:52 PM »
I have five of these. They are the first tip-ups I ever own, bought them some 42 years ago. On the reel it says, Riverside MFG. Co.  Worchester, Mass. I decided to look it up. Found them being sold online as "vintage", just about anything else I have hung on to...

I still use them in ever once in a blue moon just to reminisce a little.
(Image removed from quote.)

Sure its not Worcester? lol many people pronounce it Worchester but its more like Wusster.

Anyway I've got some from an old timer who was a woodshop teacher in ME.  His students made them so I'd guess they are at least 30 years old but just have an old fashioned look to them.
westernmas on the finder

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:07 PM »
Sure its not Worcester? lol many people pronounce it Worchester but its more like Wusster.

Anyway I've got some from an old timer who was a woodshop teacher in ME.  His students made them so I'd guess they are at least 30 years old but just have an old fashioned look to them.

It is Worcester, It is stamped right on the reels. My brain must liked it better with an "h" in it?  I'm worse with speech, mispronounce things all the time.  ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:13 PM »
I have two sets plus of tipups since I never get rid of anything that might be useful.  The oldest are 3 small non descript wooden ones bought in the very early 70's.  Mostly I use Heritage Lakers from the 80's and 90's but I keep the old ones just in case.  They are an extremely handy size for back packing and still work.

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2020, 06:57 PM »
I have a 37 year old HT Polar that was my first tip up I ever owned. I still use it too! Started getting a little “sticky” so I packed new blue lube in the spindle/shaft and it spins like new.  :tipup:
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2020, 09:48 AM »
You guys all rookies. I have tip ups my dad used when he was young so they are at least 90 years old.
I still use them. They are made with umbrella ribs and lead counter weights.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:32 AM »
I have a few natural Heritage Lakers that are about 20 years old now. My uncle gave them to my brother and I one of the first times we ever fished. He just passed away on Wednesday from COVID so they're definitely more special this season.
Marking anything?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.