New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Burbot help  (Read 971 times)

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Burbot help
« on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:18 PM »
Looking to Target Burbot this year. Never caught one so any tips would be appreciated. I hear they are in Champlain and Oneida. Anywhere else?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Burbot help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:49 PM »
yes they are in other places as well

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:53 PM »

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2018, 06:56 AM »
im not sure if you can target burbot because i think the population is pretty small in new york. I usually catch one or two every winter when im fishing for walleye and perch.

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2018, 10:11 AM »
I usually catch a few most days on Oneida in January/February. Best on gravel bars (where they spawn) at dawn and dusk. They pretty much hit the same lures I am using for Perch; spoons and jigs tipped with emerald shiners. Nice fight and good eating. I also pick up more than a few that other fisherman have thrown away on the ice. It seems a lot of NY fisherman do not appreciate the "slimers"

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2018, 10:48 AM »
I usually catch a few most days on Oneida in January/February. Best on gravel bars (where they spawn) at dawn and dusk. They pretty much hit the same lures I am using for Perch; spoons and jigs tipped with emerald shiners. Nice fight and good eating. I also pick up more than a few that other fisherman have thrown away on the ice. It seems a lot of NY fisherman do not appreciate the "slimers"

Your right I pick more than a few off the ice as well because they are good eating!! I wish people would throw them back if they don't like cleaning them!! What a waste of a good tasting, hard fighting fish!!!! Some people think that they are invasive and they are not.... as far as finding them, any body of water attached to Lake Ontario will have them.
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Anyone ever hear of them being caught out if the Erie canal?

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2018, 03:25 PM »
kinda interested myself,anyone target these freshwater lobsters and have any advice besides Oneida and Lake Ontario?I live off lake Erie in Dunkirk so any advice in that area would be appreciated.

FN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.