Author Topic: This is why we check first  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
This is why we check first
« on: Dec 15, 2018, 05:35 PM »

I know you can’t fish on pleasant lake but just a reminder that just because one pond is good doesn’t mean they all are! Be safe!
Wait there's ice????

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: This is why we check first
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2018, 06:51 PM »

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:04 PM »
They pulled a guy out of Flints Pond in Hollis today.  Fishing alone about 400’ off shore
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:15 PM »
YIKES... Too early to go alone.... Really should never go alone.... I do all the time tho hahaha B CAREFUL YALL

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:16 PM »
A group of skaters came over to us this morning. .I said to wane"2 bucks says they ask how thick the ice is"..he was too smart to give me 2 bucks...of coarse first word out of their moith " how muck ice"..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:19 PM »
A group of skaters came over to us this morning. .I said to wane"2 bucks says they ask how thick the ice is"..he was too smart to give me 2 bucks...of coarse first word out of their moith " how muck ice"..

Happens all the time.   I had a guy come across a pond at me last year, riding a bike with fat tires.  Asked me how thick the ice was....I said “you rode all the way across to ask me that ?”   Gave him a look and walked away
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Sure does..I've had people DRIVE  out to me to ask...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline IcemanEsq

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Sure does..I've had people DRIVE  out to me to ask...

Yup.  Guy pulled up in a half ton on Turtle Pond a few years back and asked the same question.  So I calmly told him 5" and watched his face turn white.  Of course, there was 16".
Spell check -- give it a try.

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09:38 PM »
That's Frikn Hilarious!!!! U had to do it👍

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2018, 11:23 AM »
I saw a guy walk out with a child in his arms to ask a couple of guys. When he left I asked if they knew him, and they said no.

So, you're trusting some strangers with your kid's life?????
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2018, 12:01 PM »
I was on 14" and walked over to a permie with a suburban sitting next to it. I opened the door and talked to the guys inside. They were on 6". A few minutes later a suburban went by towing a good sized wheelhouse at about 25 mph. I retreated to my 14 inches and stayed there.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Saw a bunch of people think nothing of walking out on the ice this weekend where we were fishing. A few people with their young kids. It's unreal that they think it's safe just because they see people fishing.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:23 AM »
Saw a bunch of people think nothing of walking out on the ice this weekend where we were fishing. A few people with their young kids. It's unreal that they think it's safe just because they see people fishing.

I now carry a throw rope on early and late Ice so I do not have to get too close when they fall through.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Had a couple people walk up to me Saturday morning, I popped holes all the way to my spot... Started over 10" near shore and down to 5" where I stopped and I know the pond really well... They parked opposite side of where I parked and just walked right out, over a flow, over deep water, for at least a 1000 feet before getting to me to ask how thick... No spud in hand, auger still stowed.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2018, 09:11 AM »
same thing here.. I was up by suisvaille off of smith point... middle of the channel with current and some clown drives up with his buddy in their f250 .. rolls down the window and says "how much ice" (there was about 18") ... I just shook my head and said... ' oh, a good 4 or 5" easy" ... his buddy in the passenger seat freaks out.. jumps out of the truck and starts running to the shore yell "I told you so!" ...  I mean.. what an idiot. Seen it all too many times ( they were both @#$@# faced of course so that adds to the smart decision I'm sure)

Offline happyfish14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2018, 03:15 PM »
Hilarious....

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:57 AM »
You have to admit, that after seeing people out on the ice they decided that it must be safe....even without knowing which direction the other people came from.

Every year you will hear stories of people falling thru because they don't know enough to check before they proceed, or they don't know what they SHOULD know about venturing out on the ice.

Sure, we've all made some "questionable" decisions in our past, but we learned to think before heading out.

Still, these type of stories will always happen, and we will always have the chance to gut-check some thoughtless boobs.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.