New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: feedback on a step that goes into receiver to transport passenger (4 wheeler)  (Read 785 times)

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
I had a thought, rather than having my buddy sit behind me he can stand behind the machine. I bought a receiver for the 4 wheeler. I then bought a step receiver/hitch. then I put a regular hitch in the step receiver so I can hook my two man/tow bar up to that. Now my buddy can get on and off easy and stand while holding on my rear rack when i'm driving. I'm sure its not legal but he will wear a helmet. If anyone has opinions or any kind of feedback, I would like to hear it.

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sounds like a good idea. I would figure if you are driving safe and he has a helmet on you might not get bothered. Probably not legal but i have seen people riding in sleds behind atvs with helmets on and no on said anything. They were using a tow bar. Guess it could depend on which ECO you come across. Way to think out of the box.

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snow makes steel slippery under rubber soles really quick. One minor bump that you don't even notice on your machine bounces your buddies foot free, he takes a tumble and possibly bust his face up on your rack before being run over by your sled. Sounds a little pessimistic I'll admit, but that's all I see in that situation.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Possibly could make your front end very light and hard to steer

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
Two years ago in NY a guy in a group near me got cited for driving an ATV with someone sitting on the front rack while they were checking traps. The guy sitting on the rack was also not wearing a helmet which is why, I think, the EP stopped them in the first place. But the driver, who was wearing a helmet, was also cited for illegally carrying a passenger.  From the regulations:

YOU MAY NEVER OPERATE AN ATV:
- Other than while seated on the permanent, regular seat.
- With a passenger, unless the ATV is designed to carry a passenger.

I think what you're talking about would be both pretty dangerous and totally illegal. He's also going to get absolutely douched if there's any water or slush on the ice. Riding in a sled behind it is fine as long as it has a rigid tow bar.

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
I’ve been using this for a couple years now. Never had a problem, I rarely go over 15mph and everyone wears helmets. The seats removable so I trailer the atv on the trailer and keep the seat in the truck.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The law enforcement can be tricky with Atv’s and sleds. Some days they let stuff slide, others they don’t. If your set up looks safe and your being responsible they normally won’t bother you. If it looks sketchy your giving them a good reason to stop you. I’ve seen dec hang out to give a guy a ticket for an expired registration

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I had a thought, rather than having my buddy sit behind me he can stand behind the machine. I bought a receiver for the 4 wheeler. I then bought a step receiver/hitch. then I put a regular hitch in the step receiver so I can hook my two man/tow bar up to that. Now my buddy can get on and off easy and stand while holding on my rear rack when i'm driving. I'm sure its not legal but he will wear a helmet. If anyone has opinions or any kind of feedback, I would like to hear it.

Not a good idea. If law enforcement see you doing this, you will get a ticket. A one seat / person vehicle is for one person only. Check with ENCON or your local police department. I have several friends in law enforcement. They told me this. You might technically get away with it if it is a two seater. Just trying to help...

Offline pikenforcer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • To fish or not to fish, that is the question!
No offense. Horrible idea. Very unsafe and most likely will end up in a ticket issued if law enforcement sees that since they write people for not having a two up seat on an atv. I just see bad things happening with that. Now TJM has the right idea....

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
I appreciate the feedback, seems like the consensus is unsafe. When I was a kid a had a Honda 3 wheeler and built a sled for the back that I hauled friend with. I guess I have never had great ideas but damn I always have fun. Have a great season fellow ice fishers.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Alternative: why not put a standoff on the receiver to accommodate a regular seat? Just thinking out loud...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.