The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: New Ice Combo  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Pike-Icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Ice Combo
« on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Hey guys!

It's been a while since I've been on here and I'm glad to be back!  I already got out twice this year on about 5" of ice. 

I'm looking to get a new ice combo in the $15-$30 range.  Any recommendations on a cheaper but quality combo to get?  I would like it to be a more all around rod so Light or Medium is necessary.

Thank you for any information.
Pikeonator23 on myfishfinder.com

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New Ice Combo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:57 AM »
I haven't noticed much difference between brands in that price range. I would find a rod that I like and plan to upgrade with an inline reel later.

Offline Pike-Icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:29 AM »
I haven't noticed much difference between brands in that price range. I would find a rod that I like and plan to upgrade with an inline reel later.
Thanks for the reply!  I'm looking at the Ugly Stick GX2 right now.  I'm confused about what power to get.  I will be fishing for mainly perch, bass, and pickerel.  Would Light be okay there?  I use jigging Raps a lot, will light work with a 1/8oz jigging rap?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2018, 12:10 PM »
I tend to use my medium ugly stick more often than not, but I use rattle spoons most of the time. With a 1/8oz, the medium should do you well.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:37 PM »
If you want to make a good jig stick get some used aluminum ARROWS and fit a couple of blocks on a long arrow shaft a ft apart and drill cross holes in the blocks the noc I use for tips for line . the forward cross arrow stick I cut a ft. long the rear cross arrow I cut 6" long.  and wind line from cross stick to cross stick makes it east to measure depth. this is a nice sensitive  feeling jig.  Easy to stand in snow and when you get a hit the aluminum arrow dragging across ice is noisy.The hand grip end I wrap a few layers of water proof tape which makes a warmer handle .

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Pike Icer  I have a nice South Bend 27 in. Mr. Big Fish ice rod I'll give you if you would pay the shipping it's a nice rod I would say Medium light

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:18 PM »
If you’re in our area, stop by. We have probably 50 or more jig poles, every size and $$ range.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Pike Icer  I have a nice South Bend 27 in. Mr. Big Fish ice rod I'll give you if you would pay the shipping it's a nice rod I would say Medium light

That is an awesome gesture!

Offline Pike-Icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:11 PM »
That would be amazing!  Thank you so much! :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.