Author Topic: Guy went under in West Lafayette  (Read 2527 times)

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Guy went under in West Lafayette
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:52 PM »
that's a shame. hope for a miracle. 

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Every year, people go in on early ice. Come on no fish is worth your life.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:11 PM »
Dammit!  >:(
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Sorry to hear that happened.  Sad the guy that got out didn't have a cell phone in a plastic bag to keep it dry to use.  Precious time wasted in trying to get to a phone.  Hope all works out ok for the other guy.  Two have drowned trying to get their dogs off the ice.  Dogs always survive the owner don't.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:33 PM »
He has died.  :(

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:01 PM »
Very sad to hear, sympathies to all his family and friends.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:14 PM »
sad for sure let's all try to be extra safe it's still early in the season RIP condolences to his family and friends

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:40 PM »
So sad 😢 thoughts and prayers to family, friends and first responders.
Please everyone don’t take chances with your lives. Think of those you leave behind.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2018, 05:04 PM »
Damn. Been too many reports already this season
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Sincere condolences and prayers for the family, and prayers for a safe rest of the season.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2018, 04:53 AM »
unfortunate for sure. thoughts to the family

ROPE people! 

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2018, 07:54 AM »
Thoughts and prayers to friends and family ! Just gotta remember just because it's cold don't mean the ice is safe

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:01 AM »
Condolences to family and friends sad to hear. Please everyone be safe.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Very sad indeed.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:59 AM »
On top of that is makes it bad for the rest of us as certain bodies of water may become off limits as in private and semi-private bodies of water due to liability issues. I see on the Massachusetts board people are getting called off of ice by the cops on even safe ice.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:57 AM »
To be honest , taxid I think there should be a minimum thickness one is legally aloud to enter on to the ice . Not only is someone putting there life at rush going on 2 inches of ice. But the first responders life at risk trying to save someone when they go in the drink . This also tells young ones who see guys out that it is safe everywhere and can venture out .... Just sad all together !

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2018, 02:07 PM »
To be honest , taxid I think there should be a minimum thickness one is legally aloud to enter on to the ice . Not only is someone putting there life at rush going on 2 inches of ice. But the first responders life at risk trying to save someone when they go in the drink . This also tells young ones who see guys out that it is safe everywhere and can venture out .... Just sad all together !

You may have a point... 
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:15 PM »
On top of that is makes it bad for the rest of us as certain bodies of water may become off limits as in private and semi-private bodies of water due to liability issues. I see on the Massachusetts board people are getting called off of ice by the cops on even safe ice.

2 private waters I used to fish have been shut off to ice fishing because of this.

and no we don't need the LEOs telling people if they can ice fish or not!!!!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:13 PM »

First responders are trained to save people that go in.  They show up with all the proper equipment  to get someone out and keep themselves from making the situation worse.  I can't recall ever hearing of a first responder losing their life during an ice rescue.  In fact, you don't hear of ice fishermen losing their lives when they have proper safety equipment with them.  It is not a coincidence that these tragedies usually happen to those ill prepared for the worst.   If you can't afford the safety equipment needed to greatly reduce the chance of first falling in, and second saving yourself or others, then you have no business on 2" or 12".  No ice is 100% safe.  If you treat it that way you can enjoy the sport with confidence.   Take the ice for granted and it can kill you. 

We don't need the DNR or more government involvement in our lives.  We need less.  Prepare, and use caution and you should never fall in.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:01 PM »
Well said wax!

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Wax worm couldn't be more dead on. This could have been a way different outcome with even just a rope or life vests.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:58 PM »
Last I new being cautious and prepared didn't change the ice being 3 inches in one spot and a half inch in another . Have the right gear doesn't garantee you will survive a fall threw . Hell how do we know all these  tragedies that have happen , these guys were not set up with (full saftey gear ) ? And anyone who goes out in 30 degree water to save someone risks there lives ! so mean since a fireman is completely set up in gear . Is in no harm at all to enter a burning house ?? I don't think so . Every first responder is trained to do so and stay as safe as possible but there is not garantee they will be safe ! And during this training they are alsonhopung they never have to use there skills !

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09:02 AM »
[quoteLast I new being cautious and prepared didn't change the ice being 3 inches in one spot and a half inch in another .[/quote]   
 That's what a spud bar is for.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Every first responder is trained to do so and stay as safe as possible but there is not garantee they will be safe ! And during this training they are alsonhopung they never have to use there skills !

Have you ever witnessed a rescue by trained first responders or witnessed them training?  They have wet suits designed for cold water, ropes, floatation devices, plenty of help, and supervision from those on shore to make sure they are safe.  The first responders I know are not fearful of cold water rescue, but they hope they don't have to do it because it usually involves retreiving a corpse.

Have the right gear doesn't garantee you will survive a fall threw . Hell how do we know all these  tragedies that have happen , these guys were not set up with (full saftey gear ) ?

Nope...there are no guarantees, but you can put the odds greatly in your favor by taking all the proper precautions and safety gear.  Looking at the pics of the ice where they went in the water, use of a spud bar would have/should have told them long before they went in they should have turned around.  The report said the guy that passed was under water for 10 minutes.  He would not have been under water at all with a float suit or properly worn life jacket.   In the water is bad enough, under water you have virtually no chance.  Cell phone in water proof case would have saved time from having to find a house to call 911.  A tragedy for sure, but these guys were not properly prepared for ice fishing, yet alone pushing the limits of first ice.

so mean since a fireman is completely set up in gear . Is in no harm at all to enter a burning house ?? I don't think so .

Not comparable.  A burning house has way more uncontrollable dangers than a cold water rescue.  A burning house has smoke, fire, toxic fumes, potential for floor, wall and/or roof collapse, electrical shock, possible gas leaks or explosion that can kill you.  An ice rescue has cold water than can kill you.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2018, 08:21 PM »
Well I guess I give up you just hot all the answers don't ya

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2018, 08:43 PM »
No one has “all the answers!” There are so many variables with ANY rescue, unless you are actually there and a part of the first responder team or teams, all you can do is arm-chair quarterback a situation, and try to find some way to justify the outcome. Yes, safety gear might have saved a life, then again who knows for certain? The bottom line is a fellow angler lost his life in an unfortunate accident. Shouldn’t we just leave it at that?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2018, 11:00 PM »
No one has “all the answers!” There are so many variables with ANY rescue, unless you are actually there and a part of the first responder team or teams, all you can do is arm-chair quarterback a situation, and try to find some way to justify the outcome. Yes, safety gear might have saved a life, then again who knows for certain? The bottom line is a fellow angler lost his life in an unfortunate accident. Shouldn’t we just leave it at that?

It is tragic no doubt.  That doesn't mean people can't learn from it and yes no one knows for certain if the safety gear would have saved a life here.  However, you can't deny being prepared and having the right gear greatly increases your chances of getting out the cold water which is what kills you.  This is and was a preventable 'accident' and this crap happens to often to just ignore.  There are new people to this sport every year that don't realize or acknowledge the sport is very dangerous if you don't take all the necessary precautions to keep you or others safe. Something like this tragedy may grab their attention and allow them to learn from it.  If one person reads this and learns from it, it is worth discussing, as it may save a life.

I know many guys that push the limits on early or late ice just like these two guys did.  Only difference is the guys I know that push it are always prepared for the worst and have all the safety gear to greatly increase their odds should something happen.  They know they were pushing it and they also have gone in (sometimes multiple times), but they got out easily each time with little more than wet clothes.  No one hears about these cases of falling in, only the ones that don't end well. 

Increase your ability to help yourself dramatically by always:
1. having ice picks around your neck to use to grip the ice and pull yourself out.  They cost less than a 12 pack or 2 packs of cigs.
2. having 100 ft of rope in your sled or bucket with a breaking strength high enough to pull 2 humans weight
3. having a cell phone in water proof case, fully charged
4. wearing a life jacket or floating suit (bibs and coat).  Keeping your head above the water on the initial plunge into water can greatly reduce your chances of inadvertently inhaling water into your lungs from the intial cold water shock.
5  having a throwable floatation device of some sort.
6. Letting someone know where you are going and an estimate of when you plan on returning
7. Getting a spud bar, learn how to use it to test the ice thickness AND quality by both feel and sound and use it EVERYTIME you go!!!!  Just because others are out, doesn't mean it is safe where you are walking or going.  On the ice you are always one step away from going in.
8. having a full change of warm dry clothes in the truck or car.
9. Putting car/truck keys in a zippered pocked or somewhere they will not end up on the bottom of the lake if you fall thru.

Do these 9 things every time you go ice fising and you put the odds in your favor for coming home safe even if you do fall in.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2018, 11:34 PM »
wax,
All good points, and all discussed and cussed many times on this site. My point was instead of reminding us of what we should do, or have done, the focus should have been on the unfortunate accident. While I commend you on wanting to help people stay safe on the ice, I wish you had started a different post, instead of using this one to take away from the focus of an untimely loss. MYO

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.