Author Topic: Chisel/Spud Bar  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chisel/Spud Bar
« on: Dec 11, 2018, 02:44 PM »
I am looking into getting a chisel. From what I found so far, a lot of times a chisel and spud bar are used synonymously. However, the main difference between the two is a spud bar is typically a rounded pointed end and a chisel is shaped like a wood chisel (thinner, flat, and gets wider at the bottom). Being that I will likely use it not only to check ice but also cut holes, I am curious as to all the different types I have seen. There is the standard looking ones, totally flat with a sharpened edge. Then there are all of these offset, tapered, sawtooth, or whatever else types with different ridges and inclines and funky teeth. I intend to just get the standard chisel head, but figured I would do some research first and get input from the trusted IS community before making a purchase.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions, personal experience, or input on the different types of chisel heads? What one to buy for checking ice as well as cutting holes?
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chisel/Spud Bar
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2018, 02:46 PM »
Get a step chisle

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Get a step chisle

What is a step chisel? Why do you recommend it over others?
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline jlbrownie_1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:24 PM »
My old spud bar is a 1.5 inch pipe with a chisel point welded on and I'm 55. Everyone has their own swing so check out a few videos like this one..
Youtube: Early ice: How to use a "spud bar" to check thickness

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:59 PM »
With a step chisel.  Each step cuts ar a different time and the strike is spread out causing a deeper impact.   If that makes sense

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:11 PM »
When you go to buy a chisel your trip to the store isn’t complete. Go and get some rope to tie to the chisel. If you don’t you’ll soon learn why.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2018, 05:00 AM »
nice to jnow never had one in all my years

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2018, 01:52 PM »
I have used the jiffy Mille lacs spud bar. The deluxe that is heavy as all hell.

I prefer heavy, I want some weight to be behind the spud.

Its got the stepped chisel.

Used it for a few years now. Works great.

Make sure to wrap the handle strap around wrist. If it goes through. It may leave your hand .
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:20 PM »
I have used the jiffy Mille lacs spud bar. The deluxe that is heavy as all hell.

I prefer heavy, I want some weight to be behind the spud.

Its got the stepped chisel.

Used it for a few years now. Works great.

Make sure to wrap the handle strap around wrist. If it goes through. It may leave your hand .

Did you use this for checking ice only or also for making fishing holes?

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:03 PM »
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Ice-Chisel/2581713.uts?productVariantId=5318094&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&WT.z_mc_id1=04879197&rid=20&msclkid=023ef6c932891508b5d7aad911dfc726&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CInn-_nTmN8CFSeVswodPBoBiw&gclsrc=ds

I just ordered one of the above cabelas chisel.  It looks to me to be a frabil chisel marketed by cabelas.  I went with this one for the weight, 6lbs, and the step points. I wanted something lighter since I am an old boy with a bad back. I haven't tried it out yet, but I think it should work fine.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:15 PM »
Did you use this for checking ice only or also for making fishing holes?

I used to check ice but early ice I'll use to open old holes.

I like the weight because I barely "throw" it and it digs about 3 inches into the ice. Less than 3 and it will break through easily. Little effort is needed by me it all the weight.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ahav

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on the Cabelas shipping and ice chisel.  I've been wanting to get one and $15 with free 2 day shipping is cheaper than me fabricating my own.  I just purchased one.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2018, 01:17 PM »
I got my cabelas spud bar in the mail. Looks real decent for the money.  I have never used the step chisel design but to use it for spudding on the way out the step chisel should work great. My theory is the amount of force is concentrated on the lead point and will penetrate farther than a conventional chisel.  That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
The chisel came dull as a get out, but what do you expect for $15.  The handle is nice with a ring for a safety loop which had a loop already attached.  I took a dremel tool with a drum sander bit on it and gave each of the steps a hollow grind to them.  Then I took a flat file and put a cutting edge on it.  I made a homemade scabbard for it and now I need to get out and use it.

Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2018, 01:29 PM »
For that price and free shipping you can't go wrong with that spud bar especially since it has the stepped blade which normally costs more money.  If I needed a spud bar I'd definitely buy it.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:18 AM »
I prefer the step chisel.

Seems to cut a but deeper and smoother than my old spud.

Looks like a decent spud.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.