Author Topic: Anybody use the Marcum Pancam?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anybody use the Marcum Pancam?
« on: Dec 09, 2018, 10:58 PM »
I've been looking for the right camera to view fish in my fish ponds that are pretty close to the house. All are usually gin clear in the winter especially one that I raise trout in. Talked to a technician at Marcum and he said the Pancam should fit the bill. It's supposed to be wifi capable up to 300 feet. And I'm supposed to not only be able view the camera on my computer or TV, but also remotely pan the camera.

I've had browns up to 12 pounds in the pond, about a half dozen brooks just over 6 lbs. and one rainbow that was close to 10 pounds. Would be pretty cool to see them cruise by the camera as the pond is quite small at 1/10th acre.

Maybe this camera is too new for reviews yet?

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Anybody use the Marcum Pancam?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:48 PM »
have you tried any camera in the water so you have an idea what to expect from one? i tried two and the first was black and white and huge from cabelas. took it back next day after finding out how short of distance it can be used. once ice and then snow on the ice develops the amount of light diminishes big time and that light loss is distance loss along with the water clarity.
i might be able to make a road trip to show you how the marcum cameras work. will do the driving info via pm if your interested.

if it is was you want and the the range is too short, you can look into range extenders for it.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:51 PM »
If your device likes the app it's great. If not it's a pain.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:03 PM »
sounds like you've had mixed results with their app? probably an older app by now. can you tell us what devices were bad or good?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Had an old Motorola electrify it worked well with,  Samsung tablet that it worked with but current Samsung phone it's laggy. The pancam never seemed to catch on and I don't think marcum has done much to try to improve the app.  It does have a video out but idk how far you could run a video wire

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:41 PM »
have you tried any camera in the water so you have an idea what to expect from one? i tried two and the first was black and white and huge from cabelas. took it back next day after finding out how short of distance it can be used. once ice and then snow on the ice develops the amount of light diminishes big time and that light loss is distance loss along with the water clarity.
i might be able to make a road trip to show you how the marcum cameras work. will do the driving info via pm if your interested.

if it is was you want and the the range is too short, you can look into range extenders for it.

I have not tried any cameras at all.

You would make a road trip down here to show you how they work? Sure you're welcome to come down if that is what you meant. You could fish my biggest pond too although the fish are raised to sell and not eat. Large bluegills and yellow perch. The trout I am holding onto until next fall. No fishing in the trout pond as they stress easily.

My address is 4700 N U.S. HWY 33, Ligionier, IN 46767
Phone number is 260-894-9055
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Central Iowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:50 PM »
They are neat if they work. Read the reviews many motor/ gear failures.
After taking my sons apart last night I see why as they are not the best built for sure. Plastic gear was stripped. I chatted on line with Marcum this morning and they won’t sell me a new motor.... I mean seriously?!!!
they want me to send it in. He said the technians would be in touch by email I haven’t heard back yet.

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 10:06 PM »

This is exactly what needs to be said to everyone that is looking at buying a camera so people finally have a realistic expectation of any camera on the market.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:01 AM »
They are neat if they work. Read the reviews many motor/ gear failures.
After taking my sons apart last night I see why as they are not the best built for sure. Plastic gear was stripped. I chatted on line with Marcum this morning and they won’t sell me a new motor.... I mean seriously?!!!
they want me to send it in. He said the technians would be in touch by email I haven’t heard back yet.

Well that's not good to hear. Must be why they are for sale on Ebay for about $100.00.

Offline Central Iowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2018, 05:28 PM »
New update  today-  they got back to me and said they would send a new motor for $25.00. I'm good with that.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:11 AM »
never heard of that. sending a part that makes you take their product apart to fix. good on them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.