Author Topic: Sketchy ice today. Just going to take a trip to Michigan in a couple weeks  (Read 1881 times)

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
3in sketchy ice on a pond and sat there n thought about going out in it and chasing crappie but figured just wait and take a trip to Michigan the weekend of the 22nd and do some safe fishing since we have warm temps coming to ruin the progress we have had

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
I dont know how big of a guy you are but at 175lbs I'd be on 3 inches like stink on poop. I found 2 - 2.5" when scouting before work this morning. I'll be out tomorrow
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
I'm a big guy but I feel safe on good hard 3" which is what we have right now with no snow.  I'm going hunting tomorrow with the temps I'm seeing tonight.  Saw chunks floating in the river this morning which is a good sign.  I've got a couple of protected  from the wind go to ponds that I always get on.

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
I walked out about a foot and it started spider webbing and cracking big time.   I'm just over 200lbs.   So hopefully weather makes a change to ice making weather or I'm taking a trip to lake St Hellen in Michigan lol.  If we don't have safe ice is anyone looking to take a trip with me up there

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
The best I came up with was a thin 2 inches.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I haven't actually checked my ponds but I can't imagine it's over 2 inches if that.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Pondbear

• IceShanty Rookie
I walked out about a foot and it started spider webbing and cracking big time.   I'm just over 200lbs.   So hopefully weather makes a change to ice making weather or I'm taking a trip to lake St Hellen in Michigan lol.  If we don't have safe ice is anyone looking to take a trip with me up there

I'd for sure go with you after the 1st of the year. Do you rent a cabin?

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular

I'd for sure go with you after the 1st of the year. Do you rent a cabin?

Well it's looking like Michigan ice is about as good as ours in most places.    After the first of the year I'm thinking Wisconsin this year.  They seem to be beating up the crappie walleye and perch this year and have been having a great ice making year.   

I would probably be doing a hotel room or sleeping in the truck to be honest.   I'm a cheap f***er hahaha

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well it's looking like Michigan ice is about as good as ours in most places.

I am about 2 1/2 hours north of Mi/In border and there are guys fishing around here, some on the ice some in the rivers.  I haven't been out yet, been sitting in the deer blind instead.  Since I just moved into the area I checked out a couple lakes Saturday, both were locked up and I have heard of guys fishing in the area on a few of the smaller shallower lakes.  I don't think the start of the ice season here is much different than years past as a whole so far.  There is the chance of rain tomorrow but overnight temps at my house have been in the teens or low 20's for 2 weeks with out a night above freezing, that deer stand has been cold in the mornings.  Next weeks forecast is for the same,, 30's during the day teens at night, with the rain clearing the last of the snow this should keep a pretty solid base for those overnight temps to build on.  Just my opinion, but with deer season winding down I got a lot of stuff ready last weekend, relining rods this weekend and will be fishing when I am done chasing whitetail.  Not sure how far you want to go but there is fishable ice in Mi just most are saying, as they should, be cautious and call ahead to the local shops to verify if you are going to be driving a long way.  Good sound advice.

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks bud will do.  Thanks for the heads up

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm looking for the ice to be gone in my biggest pond soon here in Indiana if it rains. I can break the ice with my hand. 

It would allow us to reach out farther by casting then being stuck fishing near the pier that crosses the pond. Open water along the shore today too.

Looks like colder ice making weather is at least 2 weeks off if that.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Woke up this morning to 39 deg 44 now and cold front coming across the lake today and we will be back below freezing tomorrow.  My pond still had ice this morning when I went to work, I may take the spud and scout a little on Sunday or Monday.  When were you thinking of planning your trip?  I wouldn't say we will have ice enough for quads or sleds but I am pretty sure next weekend should be pretty solid around here.  I can keep you updated if anyone would like.  I did hear from a guy at work today his buddy was on Muskegon lake today 2-3".  A little skinny for me but they are there.

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the info...the itch is getting bad...definitely keep posting about ice conditions i have next week off i might have to do a road trip...thanks again

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
Im thinking of switching to Wisconsin since they are having 8+ inches of ice almost everywhere from Winnebago and north

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
Im thinking of switching to Wisconsin since they are having 8+ inches of ice almost everywhere from Winnebago and north

Winnebago pretty much only has safe ice on the  bays right now. I'm an hour south of Winnebago and didn't go out today because of how soft the 3" of ice was.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cadillac and Houghton reports decent Ice with quads moving around on Houghton, I will be checking Sunday, with the spud, a couple lakes close to the house and may fish Monday or hit the river for steelhead.  Cooled off again last night, right at 32 deg when I left the house this morning with a wintery mix on the way to work.  30's for the next week with low 20's over night should firm things up.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No more ice on my ponds here in NE Indiana this morning.  :'(. OTOH this should allow us to fish anywhere on the pond with open water gear vs. being limited to icefishing off the pier.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.