Author Topic: Maiden Voyage with the KDrill, why did I wait so long?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but the electric drill augers are amazing.  I’m using a Dewalt DCD996, mainly because I’m married to the dewalt system already.

Some first time observations of a first time user:

1.  Not messing with mixed gas is a big relief, especially when you don’t have other tools to use it up in.

2. No issues starting it.  Just pull the trigger.

3. I don’t believe the clam plate is necessary.  You should be able to control the torque of the drill with the drill’s own side handle.

4.  The weight savings is incredible, especially when you’ve been using a 10” Jiffy for forever.

5.  I’m going to miss that 10” hole, this little 7.5” hole is gonna take some getting used to.

If anyone is still on the fence about going electric, take the plunge, it’s worth it.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Maiden Voyage with the KDrill, why did I wait so long?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Hey TIBS, I have the exact same drill/auger combination and completely agree with your points ... with some minor disclaimers added below:

1.  Not messing with mixed gas is a big relief, especially when you don’t have other tools to use it up in.

I can use the same fuel mixture for my Jiffy's as well as my chain saw although not using it much, if at all, during the winter.

2. No issues starting it.  Just pull the trigger.

3. I don’t believe the clam plate is necessary.  You should be able to control the torque of the drill with the drill’s own side handle.

4.  The weight savings is incredible, especially when you’ve been using a 10” Jiffy for forever.

5.  I’m going to miss that 10” hole, this little 7.5” hole is gonna take some getting used to.

Will still be using one of my Jiffy 30 augers (have 8", 9" & 10" flytes) in the later season thick ice as well as for targeting larger species such as lake trout. I typically use an 8" Swede-Bore (Mora) for drilling new holes since it's a little more efficient (except at break-through) than the K-Drill, and the K-Drill as necessary to re-open holes in my hardside.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2018, 12:03 PM »
I agree with OP, went with K-drill & M- fuel two seasons ago , never looking back . So many reason

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2018, 12:18 PM »
I am a big fan of the drill auger as well... Milwaukee Fuel, Clam plate, and 8" Mora have retired my Eskimo gasser. I go with the Mora because it costs less and new blades are easy to find...

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2018, 02:11 PM »
Will still be using one of my Jiffy 30 augers (have 8", 9" & 10" flytes) in the later season thick ice as well as for targeting larger species such as lake trout. I typically use an 8" Swede-Bore (Mora) for drilling new holes since it's a little more efficient (except at break-through) than the K-Drill, and the K-Drill as necessary to re-open holes in my hardside.

I’m gonna keep the Jiffy 10”, for now.  I’m probably gonna fog it though for long term storage, unless I have some major catastrophe with the drill, I don’t see myself using the jiffy any time soon.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:08 AM »
i bought a kdrill 3 years ago and paired it with my existing milwaukee hammer drill.   Came from a strikemaster strikelite 8 inch 4 stroke that never gave use a bit of trouble.  but we wanted a backup and this seemed the most cost efficient. 

we have dirty ice and the chipper blades have been spectacular. 

that ice though wrecked the blades on the strikemaster and after being unable to find replacements for over 2 years, we stuck a kdrill on the strikemaster powerhead and that thing is awesome.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:11 AM »
I ran mine through 30" last year and it was amazing.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Might have to get an extension for mine this year, some ponds around me already have 10" of ice! Early December, central NH!!!!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Might have to get an extension for mine this year, some ponds around me already have 10" of ice! Early December, central NH!!!!

I've decided that I'm not taking mine off. It's still extremely light and I too have a feeling we're in for a thick ice season in NE WI.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.