The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ion electric auger  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Fishhog1

• IceShanty Rookie
Ion electric auger
« on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:23 PM »
I've used an IonX auger, and loved it. But I don't feel I need to drop the extra cash on the X over the regular Ion. Am I correct in making this assumption? I don't know if those subtle extras are justified in my case. Anyone with experience using both models able to clarify for me before I finalize a purchase? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Offline bullscrickbowfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ion electric auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2018, 11:37 PM »
Not sure about the x but i am over 7years on my ion and it does fine. I did purchase an extra battery. I would like to know the same thing. Is there a big difference?

Offline Fishhog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2018, 02:08 AM »
The X has reverse which I found to be useless for clearing a hole in 10" of ice. It also has a light which I don't need. But it supposedly will cut more ice on a charge. I was curious if anyone with just the Ion ever ran out of juice when putting in a full day. Why spend an extra $70 if it's not needed is my logic, but I wanna be sure I'm not short changing myself on the decision.

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:30 AM »
IMHO not worth it. Have had my regular Ion for 7yrs now also. Cuts like butter and still holds a charge well. It’s all u need. Just make sure you don’t let the battery lay on the ice and you should be fine.

Offline wayno2469

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2018, 09:13 AM »
I bought my ION 4 years ago and have had no problems. It has reverse but I don't use it very often In fact last year I didn't even use the ION. I switched to a cordless drill powered auger. If the time ever comes that we get over 12 in of ice again, I will go back to the ION. For now, the difference in weight is enough to stay with the lighter unit.  Have fun and stay safe.  :tipup:

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2018, 10:54 AM »
I don't think it is worth the cost.  I have a regular ion and love it.  I did purchase the new battery for it so I have 2.  We drill lots of 8 inch holes with it.  Works great.  Nez

Offline Fishhog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2018, 02:09 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 10:51 AM »
I have the regular Ion and a buddy has the X.  What I prefer about the X:  Handles are narrower.  I find it more comfortable to drill with than my "regular" Ion.  The handles on mine seem wider than necessary which just takes up more room in the sled and isn't as comfortable to drill with.  The trigger on the X is also a better design if you ask me.  The regular Ion has a plastic  "paddle" trigger which is just asking to get caught on something and snap off.  The X has led lights on it....not a big deal for me but if you are into that or have a wheelhouse, the lights can be nice. 

Beyond those differences, I've found that the regular Ion with 2 batteries is plenty for what I do.  One complaint I have about both of them is the auger bit is too short.  They give you a 12 inch extension but then it is obnoxiously long.  Strikemaster has the perfect length.  If I had it to do over again, i would have gotten the Strikemaster.
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:48 PM »
I bought my ION 4 years ago and have had no problems. It has reverse but I don't use it very often In fact last year I didn't even use the ION. I switched to a cordless drill powered auger. If the time ever comes that we get over 12 in of ice again, I will go back to the ION. For now, the difference in weight is enough to stay with the lighter unit.  Have fun and stay safe.  :tipup:

When you use the cordless drill do you or can you use the ion auger bit with it?

Offline wayno2469

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2018, 10:57 PM »
No, I'm not sure that is even possible. I use a 6 in eskimo hand auger bit :icefish: :icefish:. Since I usually fish for panfish the smaller hole is not a problem. I will have tp check to see if the ION bit is adaptable to the cordless drill adaptor I use. It is a custom made one made by my son at the machine shop where he works.

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Thanks for the info, sure would be nice if it was possible. I was thinking about getting an ion, but not sure if I want to carry all that weight early on.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2018, 06:54 PM »
I’ll sell you my Ion with an extra battery and new set of blades for $475. Pickup in Sharon, Pa.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.