Author Topic: Great Russian Ice Fishing Video (new auger too!) - and he speaks English  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just saw this video. He has a different Folding Hand Auger.  Look at the folding joint - very strong.  Cool to see how he fishes and what he uses.

Here is the video itself:

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Likeable guy. He's using a Tonar auger which we saw on another Russian YouTube video which was a features and benefits comparison on the various hand augers in the

Russian market. The Tonar graded out as equivalent to the Nero auger which we have available through HT Enterprises who imports them from Volzhanka, their manufacturer.

I understand that Tonar has shifted their production to China but has kept their blade production in Russia. What strikes me is that the guy can spend some money on electronics,

underwater camera and GoPro yet he's fishing with a low tech Schooley type rod.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Likeable guy. He's using a Tonar auger which we saw on another Russian YouTube video which was a features and benefits comparison on the various hand augers in the

Russian market. The Tonar graded out as equivalent to the Nero auger which we have available through HT Enterprises who imports them from Volzhanka, their manufacturer.

I understand that Tonar has shifted their production to China but has kept their blade production in Russia. What strikes me is that the guy can spend some money on electronics,

underwater camera and GoPro yet he's fishing with a low tech Schooley type rod.

Thanks for the enlightening comments.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spend the money where you need to.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This is even more cool!!! A lightweight version made of TITANIUM.

https://www.zvejys.lt/poledinei-zuklei-en/ice-fishing-tools/hand-drill-auger-tonar-titan-tlr-130d-2-blade/

Could be cool to have the only titanium auger on the lake, or in the state for that matter. Why mess with plastic flights when you can have titanium?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Very cool vid. As far as fishing old school equipment, he was only fishing in very shallow water. A lot like end of season Bows on Higgins Lake here.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
That is one cool fish!!  I wanna catch one!
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The titanium auger is on an interesting ice fishing store site from Lithuania.

They have an entirely new view on augers and list the Nils under a different name. Different tools and interesting descriptions.

Fun to see what the other side of our frozen world is up to.

https://www.zvejys.lt/poledinei-zuklei-en/ice-fishing-tools/
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
English... what fun is that?  ;D

Titanium would be some serious auger stuff. I've got some Ti ice screws and they cut into ice like a hot knife through butter.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The titanium auger is on an interesting ice fishing store site from Lithuania.
https://www.zvejys.lt/poledinei-zuklei-en/ice-fishing-tools/
That titanium baby comes in at a featherweight 3 lbs. 12 oz. but it only cuts a 5 1/8" hole and will set you back $193.50 FOB Lithuania. Probably not the direction I would go.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That titanium baby comes in at a featherweight 3 lbs. 12 oz. but it only cuts a 5 1/8" hole and will set you back $193.50 FOB Lithuania. Probably not the direction I would go.

It would be if you wanted titanium.  Only one I know of.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kinda looks like a little grouper, pretty cool.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Kinda looks like a little grouper, pretty cool.

Looks like the gobies that plague Lake Erie to me..

<°)))>{

Offline river_ratt99

• IceShanty Rookie

I was going to order one of those 2 years ago, however they turn counter clockwise. Wouldn't work with my gas drill. They do 2 and 3 blade models in 3 sizes IIRC.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I was going to order one of those 2 years ago, however they turn counter clockwise. Wouldn't work with my gas drill. They do 2 and 3 blade models in 3 sizes IIRC.

Do you have the link?  I only found 1 size of the titanium auger.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I found it!

http://tonar.su/eng/products/catalog/Titanic_ice-augers.html?p=1&o=name&id=553

For under $180 ( plus shipping) you can get a titanium 3 bladed telescoping shaft with folding handle. Should handle almost 6 feet of ice!!  The only trouble is that it is just 6 inch, not an 8 inch.

But almost worth it for bragging rights. I may pull the trigger.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
<===Lefty===

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
$79 and free shipping to me. Might think about that.

That one isn’t Titanium though.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
$79 and free shipping to me. Might think about that.
C'mon Lefty, you don't need another one. Has your love for your Nero suddenly grown cold? The Tonar ain't convertible like your current model is and I'd bet that free freight is for

anywhere in England but not to include western Colorado.
                                                               Stinky

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
C'mon Lefty, you don't need another one. Has your love for your Nero suddenly grown cold? The Tonar ain't convertible like your current model is and I'd bet that free freight is for

anywhere in England but not to include western Colorado.
No I put in my Zip code and it says free shipping. Nero Had some problems yesterday on my new clam plate. Of course I drilled through 5" of Hard Crust then 6" of Ice. It would shut off and I know it wasn't the cold. I believe it was my sharpening of the blades that did it. I now got that Sharpening stone and redid them. I will see next trip out if I ruined them or not. At least I have 2 more sets of blades. And even If I can't get them sharp(Most likely will) I can afford the $15 a year for new ones.
<===Lefty===

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
lookslike he is wearing sneakers only..
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
lookslike he is wearing sneakers only..

He's Russian. It has to count for something. Maybe they have hairy feet like Hobbits.
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.