Author Topic: Ice Stopper Antifreeze Solution  (Read 10735 times)

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Ice Stopper Antifreeze Solution
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2018, 06:31 PM »
My apologies, I probably should have posted what an ice stopper is for those unfamiliar.  It's kind of a slip bobber thing that you fill with an antifreeze solution then you run your line through to keep your line from freezing in the hole.

Here's a pic and a link to the product.

https://extacklestore.com/winter/Ice%20Stopper.htm

Years ago guys would use oil in the bobber. Some cooking oil. Some used baby oil.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:31 PM »
A.) Cigar tubes are for cigars... and B.) My hole covers are truck tire inner tube pieces for all the reasons you mentioned. Plus they take up zero space and are my favorite price. Flexible solar collectors!  :thumbsup:

So..........sometimes a cigar tube is just a cigar tube!? :)

Do you use the rubber as well as the plywood?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:44 PM »
So..........sometimes a cigar tube is just a cigar tube!? :)

Do you use the rubber as well as the plywood?

YesSir! And these days, just rubber for now but I'm thinkin' about it.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Im with you on shaking the bait.
When its real cold i use cut pieces from a foam camping bed mat you get from army navy stores. I also think it makes a difference in shallow water on bluebird days keeping the light out.
But the coal paint can idea sounds interesting, especially at night when walleye fishing.
Im going to try that.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:39 PM »
I tried the can trick a couple of years ago but the charcoal burned out within 2-3 hrs, so partial success I suppose.

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:51 PM »
In regards to the charcoal in a can, yes you have to add more charcoal to it if you want more than 3 hours of heat. I use this for tournaments where I can't have a shelter and must sit out on the ice. If you're not careful and put your line over the can you might melt it, but I've never done it.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:02 PM »
Another thing I’ve seen some people do (in videos) is use those battery powered air pumps. They drop the air tube with air stone into the hole to keep the water moving. There’ll be some icing, but it won’t freeze shut, for as long as the batteries hold out lol. Other benefit (according to the guy explaining it) is sometimes the added noise can attract fish, or the slight movement created by the flowing air and water moves the line enough to impart some action on dead/artificial baits. I imagine it wouldn’t take much to get some of those little soft plastics to keep wiggling.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:05 PM »
This... big x2!

I'm out every half hour, 40 minutes checking bait liveliness, ice up, shaken 'em up Boss! And yes, I believe more flags after shaking than if I didn't.

Plus I gotta have something to do besides talk smart, sip tequila and smoke cigars.  @)

Yes, yes. Be active, check those traps!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:49 AM »
The Ice Stopper stuff is a propylene glycol solution. PG is non-toxic and common uses are as a food additive to retain moisture and cigar humidification (how would I know a thing like that  ::)). For 10 - 12 bucks you can get a whole quart and mix your own.

As far as putting anything in the water, the Ice Stopper contains probably 99.99% of the solution within the bobber. The bobber might freeze in the hole but you can effectively jig through the bobber because the PG won't freeze.

So where do you buy this stuff? What's it called in the stores?  I might give it a shot. I love messin' about trying to see what works best.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 09, 2018, 09:23 AM »
I've bought it at a drugstore but it was almost twice as much as I could find it for on Amazon. I keep a bottle around for the cigar humidor. PG is also a component in vaping liquids. Buying for specialized applications raises the price significantly.

It just occurred to me that glycerin/glycerol is also a non-toxic additive with antifreeze properties.

Best price liter/quart: https://smile.amazon.com/Propylene-Glycol-Kosher-Grade-2-Pack/dp/B074CNBCGB/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1544367772&sr=8-9&keywords=propylene+glycol+quart

Best price gallon: https://smile.amazon.com/Propylene-Glycol-Food-Grade-Gallon/dp/B00GI2CIQS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544367686&sr=8-4&keywords=propylene+glycol

Interesting reading on antifreeze and main components:

General: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze
Glycols: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 09, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Esox, thank you for the research and informative links!  Ordering some on Amazon

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 09, 2018, 10:10 AM »
Years ago guys would use oil in the bobber. Some cooking oil. Some used baby oil.
I'm not sure where you'd get used baby oil. Do you scrape it off them at the end of the day?

I didn't know I needed an Ice Stopper, but all those other hole cover tricks I've used in the past were of so-so effectiveness. A new arrow in the quiver.

kpd…  Can't take my eyes off your avatar.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Fish are very sensitive to different scents so I would not recommend any chemical non-toxic or not on my line or in my hole.  Why do you think they make so many different power baits or scented plastics.  Just my opinion.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #43 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:34 AM »
Here's a page with some links to ppt and video from the mfg:

http://www.cansportrecreation.com/Stopper.html

Links are toward the bottom of the page.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:36 AM »
can,t find it(sorry) but remember seeing a contraption using a coffee can, some copper tubing ,n, i think charcoal to keep hole open. any one with better computer skills able to find that thread? wire

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:32 AM »
So what happens to the antifreeze solution at the end of the day? Does it just stay in the bobber until the next time you go out? Probably not since we're looking for the best deal

buying it by the gallon. So where does it go? Down the hole? Down the toilet? Said to be non-toxic but to whom? Does it degrade? Evaporate?  I've bought a pair and will use them

but just don't want to be irresponsible if I can avoid it.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:03 AM »
can,t find it(sorry) but remember seeing a contraption using a coffee can, some copper tubing ,n, i think charcoal to keep hole open. any one with better computer skills able to find that thread? wire

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:37 AM »
So what happens to the antifreeze solution at the end of the day? Does it just stay in the bobber until the next time you go out? Probably not since we're looking for the best deal

buying it by the gallon. So where does it go? Down the hole? Down the toilet? Said to be non-toxic but to whom? Does it degrade? Evaporate?  I've bought a pair and will use them

but just don't want to be irresponsible if I can avoid it.

There's a little rubber bead/stopper that pretty much keeps the stuff from running out the bottom when you reel up. End of the day? I'd probably let it run back into a container for reuse unless the bead really holds it in. No reason you can't recover unused solution. It does not evaporate well, outlasting any water that was mixed with it which also makes it a great wetting agent.

Non-toxic - FDA says so, it's in some of your food. What we know right now it's pretty innocuous stuff: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/propylene-glycol You'd have to be incredibly abusive to be irresponsible. The LD gram/pound for rats is over 6 times higher than salt but about 2/3 that for sugar.

"The toxicity of propylene glycol is very low. It has not been found to cause cancer, damage genes or interfere with fertility or reproduction. Moreover, there are no reported deaths on record"

I want to say that the Ice Stopper solution is 70/30, PG/water but I could be wrong. Sure it's a chemical but you could choose worse.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.