Author Topic: Ice Stopper Antifreeze Solution  (Read 10737 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice Stopper Antifreeze Solution
« on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Anybody use the Ice Stopper gizmo to keep their line from freezing in a hole while using an auto-hooksetter?  I was wondering if instead of buying the little bottle of "official" Ice Stopper solution at $12 a bottle, has anybody just used marine anti-freeze?  You can get a gallon jug at West Marine for $6 and it's non-toxic.  Every boat that launches in the spring dumps gallons in the lake as the systems flush out for the first run of the season. 

Here's the official stuff: https://www.dicksmithslivebait.com/store/ice-stopper-solution/

Here's the marine antifreeze: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine---50-f-engine-water-system-antifreeze-gal--499848?recordNum=1

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Ice Stopper Antifreeze Solution
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Handwarmer in a little to go plastic container - usually that side salad container.  Drop it into hole and solved.  Side salad container is usually black too, so helps to absorb sunlight/warmth.

...................... ..................

Would you like fries with that? No fries, a side salad please, no salad or dressing...  :tipup:
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Jaggerhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:38 PM »
I dont recommend putting any chemical in the water if possible. I have heard that black ping pong balls work good also

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:43 PM »
I dont recommend putting any chemical in the water if possible. I have heard that black ping pong balls work good also
I do agree with no chemicals in the water, but the West Marine stuff is non-toxic. You run it in potable water systems in your boat.

I like the hand warmer in a container idea, but would get pricey after a while setting 6 lines here in Ohio and fishing a few times a week.

Offline Jaggerhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:52 PM »
I think the antifreeze will just to diluted in the hole. I think you would have to have a crazy amount in there to do what you want it to do. And not sure but I think it wouldn't float on the surface

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2018, 08:59 PM »
I think the antifreeze will just to diluted in the hole. I think you would have to have a crazy amount in there to do what you want it to do. And not sure but I think it wouldn't float on the surface
My apologies, I probably should have posted what an ice stopper is for those unfamiliar.  It's kind of a slip bobber thing that you fill with an antifreeze solution then you run your line through to keep your line from freezing in the hole.

Here's a pic and a link to the product.

https://extacklestore.com/winter/Ice%20Stopper.htm

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:00 PM »
My states law says no ethylene glycol or other antifreeze agent is to be put into the water. I’m not sure if the ice stopper bobber is even legal here, though I just saw a set at Cabela’s for $20 for two bobbers and their solution. Though the idea of floating a hand warmer in a container is not a bad idea. Along with a hole cover that should work wonderfully to keep the hole from freezing over quickly. 

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:05 PM »
Cool idea . I've never heard of that antifreeze bobber thing before . I have used a heavy concentration of saltwater before , but can't remember how cold outside it was .

Offline Jaggerhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:10 PM »
Gotcha I didnt realize u were using a bobber style.
I also use a hole cover works great and cheap and unlimited uses. Just go to a craft store and get black foam pads ment for on the floor u can put them together like a puzzle. Anyhow just cut circles out of them with a small hole in the middle with a slice from the middle out to the edge for sliding your line in. Works great

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:08 PM »
You can easily make your own bobber device.
Get a foam pipe insulation cover. The kind that just slips over the pipe.
Just cut a small say 1" section off.
Glue it to a small piece of 1/2"PVC pipe.
Then put Mineral oil in it after you run your line through. Use the clear mineral oil you get from the drugstore.
It's safe for the environment.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:23 PM »
Then put Mineral oil in it after you run your line through. Use the clear mineral oil you get from the drugstore.
Do you have a pic of that setup? Thanks!

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:39 AM »
I use the regular solution just dont fill bobber only run a little in each when its cold have had no problem yet
Just enjoying life

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:04 AM »

[/quote]
Don't you get mineral oil on your line, guides and reel? Sounds messy.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:08 AM »
The Ice Stopper stuff is a propylene glycol solution. PG is non-toxic and common uses are as a food additive to retain moisture and cigar humidification (how would I know a thing like that  ::)). For 10 - 12 bucks you can get a whole quart and mix your own.

As far as putting anything in the water, the Ice Stopper contains probably 99.99% of the solution within the bobber. The bobber might freeze in the hole but you can effectively jig through the bobber because the PG won't freeze.

I've also used a small plywood disc and PVC painted black with mineral oil in the tube, similar to what kasilofchrisn is doing. A thin slit in the disc and the tube allow you to slip it on and off your line. To secure it to your line twist the tube in the disc so the slits are aligned, slip your line in and twist the tube so the slits are not lined up. Fill the tube with a little oil or just let the sunlight do it's work. Of course, paint the whole woks black.

You won't lose oil because it floats on water but it can be a little messy. Just my experience with it. At least with PG you can wash it off your stuff with just water or use a little soap to speed things up.

I often use wind tipups and have similar issues with the spool being above the water and expecting the line to be able to move with the wind. Hole covers are remarkably effective down to the teens, especially with sunlight and no wind. Make sure it's black and covers the hole completely.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Hmmm--interesting!

For a cover I have used a thin black rubber floor mat. They work better than the foam type, IMO, because you want to let the sun's heat in, not try to keep any little heat in the hole out.

Esox---wouldn't 1 of those plastic cigar tubes work even better?? ;D
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Don't you get mineral oil on your line, guides and reel? Sounds messy.
No it's not messy at all.
I believe I learned this from an In fisherman book, video or magazine several years ago.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:58 AM »
What we do around here to keep your hole from freezing over is to put an empty but intact pain can next to your hole, fill it with charcoal and light it. It'll burn away happily protected from the water and it will melt down a little into the ice but will keep the surface water of your hole warm, and you can warm your hands over it. Empty clean pain cans can usually be found at your local home improvement store.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Sounds interesting, whats a pain can? It doesnt get too hot and burn your line?.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Sounds interesting, whats a pain can? It doesnt get too hot and burn your line?.
I think he means paint can, or a tin can will work too. Haven’t tried it yet but sounds simple from what I’ve read. Drill your hole, then a shallow one next to it and chisel a channel between them. Put the can of coal in the shallow hole, the warm water will flow between them enough to keep it from freezing. From what I’ve read, it’s also a good idea to put a rock in the can so when the whole thing melts into the ice a bit it won’t float and tip over.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Hmmm--interesting!

For a cover I have used a thin black rubber floor mat. They work better than the foam type, IMO, because you want to let the sun's heat in, not try to keep any little heat in the hole out.

Esox---wouldn't 1 of those plastic cigar tubes work even better?? ;D

A.) Cigar tubes are for cigars... and B.) My hole covers are truck tire inner tube pieces for all the reasons you mentioned. Plus they take up zero space and are my favorite price. Flexible solar collectors!  :thumbsup:

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:45 AM »
If your holes are freezing over MOVE, you are not catching fish often enough.  Keep moving until you find active fish.  Pulling fish thru the hole on a consistent basis will keep the hole open.   :tipup:
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:48 AM »
No it's not messy at all.
I believe I learned this from an In fisherman book, video or magazine several years ago.

In-Fish, yep! I don't believe you have to put in a ton of oil either. Mono/fluoro runs/wipes right off. Still might not be the best idea for any kind of braid.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2018, 10:58 AM »
In-Fish, yep! I don't believe you have to put in a ton of oil either. Mono/fluoro runs/wipes right off. Still might not be the best idea for any kind of braid.

4:12 mark

=252

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2018, 11:03 AM »
If it goes in that bobber, i wonder if it isnt just a diluted saltwater/alcohol solution? Same thing people use on their car doors in the winter to "instantly thaw ice"
EYECONICFISHING

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Do you have a pic of that setup? Thanks!
Sure.
Here's a few different ones and one similar to what Esox built.
The hole cover was made on a hand crank gasket maker out of rubber floor Matt I had at hand.
They are 12" in diameter and I cut a small hole in the center with a slit to it for your line. The tube was less than $2 for a 3' stick at Home Depot.
The others are made of 1/2" PVC and 1/2" pipe insulation from home Depot as well.
Cost under $5 for both an 8' stick of PVC and 6' stick of the foam.
Just hot glue them together.
I cut a slit in the one PVC for your line. The foam keeps the oil in the hole yet also has a slit for your line.
You can make over a dozen of these for less than $8.
I'll probably paint them but that's just another $.97 for a can of cheap black spray paint.
I cut these with my pipe cutter and then chamfer the inside slightly with a step drill bit. Sand the end lightly just to make sure there aren't any edges to catch your line and then hot glue on a chunk of the foam.
Position the foam near one end so the weight of the longer end makes it float vertically.
I cut the slit with my backsaw but any type of saw would likely work.
I stuck a hatchet in the split till it was as wide as I wanted it then hit it with my heat gun until it fell off the hatchet once cool it is now set with a slight gap.
The oil is food grade and meant to help you with digestion so certainly not going to hurt the waters that we might put it in.
You only need a few drops per hole and I think it was five or six bucks for the whole container of oil which should probably last several years.

KasilofChrisN

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Awesome, thanks for sharing kasilofchrisn!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2018, 02:54 PM »
If it goes in that bobber, i wonder if it isnt just a diluted saltwater/alcohol solution? Same thing people use on their car doors in the winter to "instantly thaw ice"

Nope. I found the MSDS for the "solution" and it said PG solution so that's PG and water.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2018, 03:00 PM »
Ok I need to ask this.   If making your own, how does the mineral oil stop the ice from forming inside the tube?    Wouldn't the water under the little bit of oil freeze up?
Don

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Ok I need to ask this.   If making your own, how does the mineral oil stop the ice from forming inside the tube?    Wouldn't the water under the little bit of oil freeze up?
While I can't explain the science behind it I can tell you that it does work.
But it isn't my idea there's people that have been doing this for over 20 years I got the idea from Infisherman video produced in the 90s.
the reality is you should be checking your lines every half hour or so anyway.
I find that often times I get a fish shortly after checking my line and clearing the hole.
I'm guessing the added movement draws the fish in.
But on those windy/below zero days when you just can't seem to be able to keep the holes clear no matter how frequently you scooped them this is a viable option that works.
KasilofChrisN

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:26 PM »

the reality is you should be checking your lines every half hour or so anyway.
I find that often times I get a fish shortly after checking my line and clearing the hole.
I'm guessing the added movement draws the fish in.

This... big x2!

I'm out every half hour, 40 minutes checking bait liveliness, ice up, shaken 'em up Boss! And yes, I believe more flags after shaking than if I didn't.

Plus I gotta have something to do besides talk smart, sip tequila and smoke cigars.  @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.