The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: i 90 this time of year?  (Read 902 times)

Offline niceout

• IceShanty Rookie
i 90 this time of year?
« on: Dec 05, 2018, 04:55 AM »
If l had to come across i 90 from Missoula east back to CT in December should this be a huge travel concern?
Never spent a winter in Montana  :o  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
Re: i 90 this time of year?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:10 AM »
You'd be fine. I-90 is pretty well taken care of. Sure.....It can be terrible during those storms that last for days & the mountain passes can sometimes make you wish you had just stayed home. If your vehicle has a good set of tires I wouldn't worry to much about it.....Good luck to ya !!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:19 AM »
The stretch of I90 from Cleveland to Syracuse is subject to horrible conditions and closure during lake-effect storms.  These areas can get feet of snow in hours during persistent squalls.  Avoid travel on this stretch of I90 at all costs during these events.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline niceout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:19 AM »
You'd be fine. I-90 is pretty well taken care of. Sure.....It can be terrible during those storms that last for days & the mountain passes can sometimes make you wish you had just stayed home. If your vehicle has a good set of tires I wouldn't worry to much about it.....Good luck to ya !!
Kinda what l thought, if a big storm comes maybe l'd have time for  :tipup

The stretch of I90 from Cleveland to Syracuse is subject to horrible conditions and closure during lake-effect storms.  These areas can get feet of snow in hours during persistent squalls.  Avoid travel on this stretch of I90 at all costs during these events.

DN
l think @ Cleveland l'd be headed for I-80, that dead deer stretch of highway  ;D

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:31 AM »
I traveled from syracuse to wyoming on 90 multiple time. I live in the Syracuse area and have traveled the NY stretch countless times. Yes at times it gets shut down or slowed up usually because of an accident but I would take my chances on that and stay on 90 rather than alternative routes. If you are really worried you can get apps for your phone and check it occasionally and if need be take an alternative route around the traffic condition then get back on 90.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:22 AM »

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2018, 10:08 AM »
In my travels on i90 (within MT) I always seem to be driving during or just after a storm, so anything outside of the city limits of large places like Missoula is usually ice covered, bumpy, kinda crapty. But slowing down a bit and having good tires, 4/Awd or weight in the back of a Rwd will almost always get you through.

Offline WilleyBooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:24 PM »
I recommend that you watch the weather forecast and pick a time between storms in which to make your trip. Don't force yourself to adhere to a schedule; if the weather is bad, shack up for a while. The authorities may make you shack up for a while because there are stretches they close when a storm comes through. A lot of people drive I-90 in the winter and the vast majority make it to their destinations with no trouble - use good judgment and you should be okay. Watch out for snow plows - they kick up snow so that visibility is reduced to 25 or 30 ft - you have to be careful not to run into the snow plow; remember which side of the pavement the snow plow was on.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:42 AM »
sorry...and please don't take this the wrong way...but you sound like the woman who called 911 cause whales were breaching near her chartered whale watch boat...just look at a weather forecast and adjust accordingly...a half inch of freezing rain in Missouri is way more lethal than a foot of snow in montana...use some common sense.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.