The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ling questions?  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Slim Trout

• IceShanty Rookie
Ling questions?
« on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:19 PM »
Never caught ling through the ice, wanted to try and target them this year, heard of guys using cut sucker among other things... Looking for some preferred rigs/ bait to catch them, heard the night bite can be pretty good for them too.

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ling questions?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2018, 03:39 AM »
sounds like you got the info you need, i use cut bait a big white glow jig with a glow plastic tail bounce it off the bottom at sun down

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Yep, correct for the most part. I've caught them at all times of day, but sunset, dark, sunrise are when they're most active. Any greasy or stinky bait has worked for me. Cut sucker is pretty consistently solid, but I've also caught them on sandwich meat (that's just harder to keep on the hook). My biggest came on a dead minnow and a kastmaster. Glow jigs are usually the best choice though, ideally with a rattle jig nearby to bring them in, as those ling like their targets stinky and easy to find.

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the tags are filled you can bet Im on the ice
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:53 AM »
Y’all talk about stinky baits. I’ve personally used sucker meat on a 3/8 oz buck shot glow spoon. Bounce 3 x’s off the bottom, hold couple of inches off the bottom and repeat. It has worked for me in the past. I got introduced to fishing channel cats this season and I’ll tell you what, that blood dip bait is some potent stuff when I let it bake in the sun for a couple of days. It drove the catfish crazy and I couldn’t keep them off the hook this summer. Has anyone tried that potent stuff for ling?

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Chunk of sucker meat on a jig or spoon. Bounce it off bottom. You can catch them at daylight all day but sunset/night is really good. Or half a smelt of whole smelt on a quick strike rig on a tip up is good depending on the size of burbot is in the lake/river you're fishing.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

Offline SnoopySnowCone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2018, 11:28 PM »
I'll second what everyone said here, plus I have a lot of luck with a rubber crayfish filled with the crayfish smelling goo. Just hook it on a big heavy horizontal glow hook. Most burbot I've caught at Newlan, Sutherlin, and Holter have had crayfish in their bellies.

Offline lingking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2018, 09:41 PM »
a couple years ago i pulled a ling out and noticed it had a large bulge on the side of its belly so i cut it open and it was a crawfish claw just beneath the skin must of tried to claw its way out kinda cool. also i have a good spot at clark canyon for ling and usually every night  the crawfish will come up threw the holes and get in my shack i had to invest in nice hole covers to keep them out!

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2018, 01:02 PM »
I'll second what everyone said here, plus I have a lot of luck with a rubber crayfish filled with the crayfish smelling goo. Just hook it on a big heavy horizontal glow hook. Most burbot I've caught at Newlan, Sutherlin, and Holter have had crayfish in their bellies.

Everyone here is right about what good burbot baits are. Sucker meat and crawfish are amazing burbot baits. Caught them on both baits and others.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

Offline ztommy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:57 PM »
I've been thinking about trying to get some ling this year and I was curious what areas on Clark Canyon everyone goes for them ?

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:59 PM »
As long as what you’re using glow and smells, you’re good.

Offline Midge4u2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Taco Juan... you do newlan yet?

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:56 PM »
Ive been catching them on a rattlin rap,they are a blast on a jigging rig
Dont ask

Offline jriepe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:52 PM »
What size line do you guys use for ling? Just your trout setups or are they snapping off 4#? Excited to try for my first ling this year

Offline Buckammo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Ling don't seem to be line shy at all.  My ling leaders are made of 65lb braid and two hook.  For tip ups; leaders of some type are quite handy because the buggers would swallow a Volkswagen if they could get it in their mouth.

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2018, 02:39 PM »
I caught an 8lber on 8lb mono. Hell of a fight and didn't take long to bring him in. You can use your normal trout setups if you got tougher line. I myself use my pike rod. Heavy rod with 50lb Suffix tip up braid just cause I like the small diameter.My tip-ups have 40lb dacron but soon to have the same 50lb Suffix tip up braid.
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2018, 02:55 PM »
I just use my trout gear. I jig aggressively when I see them come in. I get them in shallow water though. I know that's probably not the norm, but they are aggressive. I can usually get them to bite when they come in. I will bounce the spoon on the bottom or whatever I can do to get their attention and then stick it right in front of their face. I have been able to get some video of them reacting to the jigs over the years.

Offline Jshafer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2018, 09:11 AM »
New here, was wondering how the ling fishing is on canyon ferry?

Offline lspower

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Slooooooooooowwwwwwww
Catch and release into bacon grease

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2019, 05:10 AM »
New here, was wondering how the ling fishing is on canyon ferry?

Any recent intel will be in the "MONTANA FISHING REPORTS & CONDITIONS" section !!

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=323792.0

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it swims ive caught it
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2019, 12:45 AM »
Use cut sucker meat and crawdaddy best results I’ve had and glow hooks jigs or anything that glows
if it bites I chase it

Offline Jshafer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2019, 04:14 AM »
Thanks for the info, just need a little more ice.

Offline Bhoesl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:14 AM »
I like to make up several leaders ahead of time, with a snap swivel on the end of your main line. They like to get all twisted up in the leader sometimes and are often hooked deep, that way each one you catch you can easily just unclip the leader, hook on a new one, and be fishing again.  Can retrieve the hook / leader later when you clean them.  This is especially helpful when fishing in the dark.

Offline IceAce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2019, 07:43 AM »
What kind of structure in the lake are you looking for? flats, drop offs? I've also never caught a ling

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2019, 04:00 PM »
This time of year they are prespawn and move from deep to shallow at night. In later Jan they are usually around rocks in shallower water.  Yes, drop offs are good in my experience but they move up them more than along them.  In CF we like to fish the old channel edges and move in as it gets dark, then set up on top of the drop in say 12 ft or so.  The other thing that works is night fishing below the dams in moving water after dark. They can be slayed drifting dead bait or raps running up and drifting back down. Not ice fishing but still fun along with the walleyes you catch. Works great below Holter dam. Used to get off the river from guiding fly fishermen, eat a meal at Issacs and head up to the dam at dark. Not a game for old men!

I am sure others will have a better answer. :tipup: 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.