Author Topic: One man flip over suggestions  (Read 3461 times)

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: One man flip over suggestions
« Reply #30 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:23 PM »
Will a one-man hut carry all your gear?  If not, it seems to me that is not a solution, or you leave gear at home.  I need a 2-man to carry all my stuff.  No way around it.
FX 150

Offline wayno2469

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:11 PM »
If weight is not a big deal, I would definitely go with the Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno. I had one for several years and loved it plenty of room and warm. Only complaint, just too heavy for me to load into the truck as I  got older.  Switched to the Shappell FX 100 and like that also.  It's much lighter and easier to load for me. The seat requires some modification for my liking but it was an easy fix.  Hope this helps. Have fun and stay safe. :tipup:

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:47 PM »
I bough the Eskimo Wide One Inferno this year for the same reason you're looking at. I didn't install the seat system which saved about 15lbs. It's tough fitting everything in it but I can do it. Pulls easy and I can lift it into the back of my truck pretty easily. Heats up easily with a little buddy heater and no condensation. One other negative is getting the insulated fabric tucked in when folding it up for a long walk out I'm just anal about having it drag.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:49 PM »
I have a Frabill Recon and it works for me. Lightweight and holds everything that I need. Mine came with a three legged folding chair. I use a 6 gallon bucket with padded lid, or folding nylon chair. The only thing that I don't care for is it doesn't have a zippered door. But I understand that the newer ones do.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:06 PM »
I have sat in several units the last few days, I think I like the idea of the built in chair for my back. If Fleet Farm gets some in on sale I will probably go that route

thanks for all the replies

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:13 PM »
I would look at the Clam Corporation shelters.  They have an excellent web-site.  I have an old Scout from when they 1st came out and it's still a good shelter.  The new Scout XLTC ($319), Kenai Pro ($329) and the Blazer ($249) which is there economy model have all been improved since I bought mine.  The thermal models will add more weight if weight is a concern as you had stated in your 1st post.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Old style Shappell (Rovers) pre- Eagle Claw if you can find them...lightest in the biz.
   no the Flip-N-Fish is the lightest

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:14 PM »
I use my Eskimo Sierra as a single....sure is nice having the little room in it.

Offline Fr33Th1nk3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:33 PM »
Eskimo 1 evo insulated is what i have I love it. I also hear the wide 1 is good as well.
A bad day fishing beats a good day working.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #39 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:01 PM »
So I think you should keep the 2 man and spend 40 bucks to build a smitty.

If it costs that much.

You can still use the 2 man and have more room and if your son has the chance to fish with you it's on a smitty, making the drag almost not a drag  ;D

A 2 man on a smitty is gonna pull easier than a smaller one man without.

You can thank me later for saving you the money on a new flip over  ;) ;D ;D
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline icetrawler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing is Surreal!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Shappell FX100 One Man Flip-Up Shelter  Light, Easy to load and pull, comfortable, good price - $209 and up.

"Are you fishing or are you going fishing?" :)

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Shappell FX100 One Man Flip-Up Shelter  Light, Easy to load and pull, comfortable, good price - $209 and up.

I got the same shack. I too was worried about the size of the tub/sled and didn't think it would carry all my gear (as a previous poster above said), but I can get all my stuff in there no problem and I bring a fair amount of gear out.

I was also surprised how well it heated up. Last weekend in 20 degree temps, I barely had my little buddy on. And when it was on, it was on low.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Bought the Kenai Pro last night, finished the assembly today. Looks like I will need a light inside also for early and late fishing. Super dark inside with black inside.

It is a little larger than I wanted but the price was right at $289 and it is thermal. Seems pretty light but I do not have any gear or a heater inside.

Purchased at Fleet Farm on sale currently also received a $15 gift card

Thanks for all the replies and help

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.