Author Topic: Non Panoptix way to see sideways?  (Read 4239 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Non Panoptix way to see sideways?
« on: Dec 02, 2018, 10:24 AM »
I can't afford Panoptix. But I was wondering if you could angle your transducer to the side if you could see what is around your hole. I've seen people swing their ice transducer around their hole to see outside of their standard cone angle. I plan on using a boat transducer mounted to a pole using a Garmin EchoMap 73dv unit. I was thinking that if I angled the bracket sideways I could detect fish off to the side. I know just not true Panoptix but would it work?

Thoughts?
jbird68

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Non Panoptix way to see sideways?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2018, 12:15 PM »

The beam bender will angle your ducer some

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2018, 12:41 PM »
this may help with what to expect using your bracket.
https://videos.weebly.com/uploads/5/6/3/4/56340815/operation_725.mp4

i've used nylon cable ties/zip strips to make a transducer bender. never tried it on ice.

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2018, 02:20 PM »
I also bought a Beam Bender last year but didn’t get around to playing with it.   I hope to have more time on ice this season.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Correct me if I’m wrong, but would a beam bender, aka turning your ducer sideways, even work?

As soon as the ducer cone hits the top of the ice or the bottom, isn’t it going to show up as the bottom on the flasher?

I can see it working somewhat in 20+ fow. The deeper the better. But I would think anything under 20’ wouldn’t be worth it.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2018, 02:34 PM »
Correct me if I’m wrong, but would a beam bender, aka turning your ducer sideways, even work?

As soon as the ducer cone hits the top of the ice or the bottom, isn’t it going to show up as the bottom on the flasher?

I can see it working somewhat in 20+ fow. The deeper the better. But I would think anything under 20’ wouldn’t be worth it.

I think that is exactly the issue. The scanning stops at the first contact with ice, bottom, tree, etc.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2018, 02:38 PM »
I’d be using it for deeper water scouting for walleyes or perch, so hopefully I’d be a candidate for it to work. I know going in it’s got its limitations, but maybe once in awhile it helps me pick a direction to move towards.

www.beambender.com   might answer some questions.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2018, 03:13 PM »
Make a parascope and put in down the hole. Or get a pair of goggles :)  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2018, 04:07 PM »
I have one of the "benders" for my LX7 - use it, at times, when fishing in current.  Like was mentioned, if the beam sent out contacts anything, stationary - it's showing as bottom and you will "see" no further.  Parascope? - not so much unless you got crystal clear water.
The idea that the Garmin can scan 100 ft, or better, sideways is very appealing - got to see it in action, in real life.  Maybe this ice season, somewhere.  Using it on the boat makes it a little more helpful in the price justification, for some.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2018, 05:42 PM »
I can't afford Panoptix. But I was wondering if you could angle your transducer to the side if you could see what is around your hole. I've seen people swing their ice transducer around their hole to see outside of their standard cone angle. I plan on using a boat transducer mounted to a pole using a Garmin EchoMap 73dv unit. I was thinking that if I angled the bracket sideways I could detect fish off to the side. I know just not true Panoptix but would it work?

Thoughts?

I do this with my 73sv. I use the open water ducer.

Its rigged kind of weird but it allows me to angle my open water ducer anywhere I want and then I just spin the handle its attached to.

It works. Its not panoptix but I have been able to see suspended fish, a few times I saw fish hugging bottom.

I would love my sidescan to work without having to be moving. Big fan of side scan.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2018, 01:10 PM »

thats the issue definitely.  Swinging the ducer can work somewhat as long as the what you are looking for is withint eh angle .  We know that cone angles aren't necessarily perfect cones but this is the problem visualized. 

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2018, 02:08 PM »
What about the helix with the 360 transducer? Pop a hole, see 300' diameter, go to fish.  If you see nothing, walk another 300', repeat!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2018, 02:47 PM »
What about the helix with the 360 transducer? Pop a hole, see 300' diameter, go to fish.  If you see nothing, walk another 300', repeat!
Fish don’t pop on the display like it does with panoptix, but it does show them. it’s really good for scanning for structures and getting the big picture of the bottom. But it’s also in the same price range of the panoptix, and not nearly as portable. If you’ve already got the humminbird units I get it, but they really excel in different uses. Also, you can’t jig using 360.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Fish don’t pop on the display like it does with panoptix, but it does show them. it’s really good for scanning for structures and getting the big picture of the bottom. But it’s also in the same price range of the panoptix, and not nearly as portable. If you’ve already got the humminbird units I get it, but they really excel in different uses. Also, you can’t jig using 360.

I have a Humminbird Solix that I was considering getting a 360 for.

I bought the entire Livescope system instead. Livescope delivers what I was imagining HUmminbird 360 would do when I first heard about 360.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2018, 05:55 PM »
Buddy ordered panoptixs came in mail in 2 days. $1900 for ice bundle I’m so jealous. Thinking I could mount on kayak to justify cost but that’s  new kayak $$$$. We’ll see

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:52 AM »

i know guys that use their side imagine ducers.  hook it up to pvc and turn it on one side off on the other and then sweep the hole in a circle.   

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2018, 12:00 PM »

Thoughts?

I do this with my 73sv. It works pretty well.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.