The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Aluminum Shack Review Request  (Read 3809 times)

Offline mrbean1025

• IceShanty Rookie
Aluminum Shack Review Request
« on: Dec 01, 2018, 08:46 PM »
I am looking at getting one of the aluminum ice shacks and was hoping to get some pointers from here.  I've tried to look at a few manufacturers so that I could compare but it looks like Sport Shack is the only one in my area (Dover-Foxcroft) that has produced stock.  I called the guys in NH (Northern Fabrication Solutions) but they have suspended all new production... business must be really good, which I'm glad to hear.

The Sport Shack has 2 models that I am torn between, the 6x10 and the 8x12. The 6x10 just seems too small but the 8x12 seems too dang big. I would like to be able to put a couple fold down cots and a fold down table in it, cut a few jigging holes and have some room to move around.  The shack would spend most of its time on Sebec but I would like to be able to move it with a trailer to other lakes for derbies.  The 8x12 seems perfect right up to the point of wanting to move it to another lake and then back without a lot of work. I plan to pull it with a 4 wheeler but I do have snow machines too if needed. The prices are 6x10 $2995 and 8x12 $3495 at a local dealer so the prices aren't enough to make the decision for me. What do you think?

I am open to looking at other name brands if you guys know of any also.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Aluminum Shack Review Request
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:08 AM »
Have you looked at SnoPro?  This is my first year with a hard shack, I'm thinking picking up and moving lakes will not be an option, at least not an easy one.  I'm wondering how I will like being tethered to one place... 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2018, 05:30 PM »
SnoPro is made in Winslow, Maine. Support Maine manufacturers and workers. Where is Sport Shack made?

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2018, 06:34 PM »
Was a no brainer for me. For 500 bucks more you get an extra 36 sq. feet of room which is 60 percent more than the 6 by 10. Mine stays on one lake too. Bought a Clam pop up for travelling

Offline mrbean1025

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:30 PM »
9huskies: I believe Sport Shack is made in Unity, Maine. I agree with you on supporting the local guys.

Silversides: Your point of $500 for 36 more square feet is why the 8x12 is still in the running. I actually own an eskimo 949i now that I can travel with but thought it would be nice to travel in style all the time...

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2018, 02:22 PM »
I've been in both the 8x12 and the 6x10, the 8x12 is a no brainer for the additional space gained vs cost difference.  Every once in a while you see an 8X8 older shamrock for sale, 8x8 feels way bigger than 6x10 just because of the configuration.

Offline mrbean1025

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Thank you Gamefisher. This is actually the direction that I am now seriously leaning for these same reasons.  I can't get past the thought of forever thinking that I could have had 36 more square feet for $500 if I go with the smaller one.

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2018, 08:50 PM »
At that price differential it's a no brainer for me, go with the 8x12. If you go smaller you'll always kick yourself for not ponying up the extra bills for the extra 36 ft, especially when the prices go up in the future and the differential gets a bigger gap. You'll be money ahead in the long run.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:09 AM »
any shack over 4' wide is for partying not fishing. and will not fit into a pickup for easy transport.

Offline mrbean1025

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:18 AM »
Didn't really consider putting it in the back of my pickup but it would be a funny picture to post if I did, I have a trailer...

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2018, 05:22 AM »
If your going to be sleeping in it and stuff get the bigger one.  But if u go early and leave at dark get the smaller one

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:06 AM »
The big one you could spend the night and get some coyote hunting after dark. They prowl the ice looking for food at night.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2018, 04:08 AM »
Not sure who you are dealing with up in Dover, but Harvey Trailer in Bangor carries some as well. Not sure of the brand, but they look just like a Sport Shack. They have an orange 8 by 12 sitting in the yard

Downeast Fishing Lunatics

« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:59 PM »
We were where you are at right now about a year ago. We ended up going with the Sno pro 6x10 . When I went to look at a couple different brands I noted that the Sno Pro was much better built then the other brand . I noted much cleaner welds and the skis were wider as well. Without a bunch of gear inside it can be moved rather easily by a single person, You know as long as there isn't a foot of powder. I didn't care much for the fact there isn't a hole already in the floor to jig from and feel that it really wasn't built well to add one . The sales person did say you can do it but I personally will not be . I plan on using my 949 anyway for that purpose . I HAD NO Luck dealing with TBA in Bangor so I came from Lincoln powersports. They actually get them from Tba but sold it to us for less then TBA would. Hope this is helpful.

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:23 PM »
I just bought the 8x12 High country alluminum shack from jacks traps in Monmouth, me seems to be built decent.  I do wish all windows were sliders but the door window is and has roof vent as well the hitch can be mounted on either side of the shack. Can’t wait to get it out I would think if it was disision for somebody between the 6x10 & the 8x12 is if you have the means to move it (trailer) . The 8x12 I think maybe a little much to haul with my sled but I plan on using my side by side to move it anyways. The price and the room I just couldn’t pass on it.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:36 AM »
We were where you are at right now about a year ago. We ended up going with the Sno pro 6x10 . When I went to look at a couple different brands I noted that the Sno Pro was much better built then the other brand . I noted much cleaner welds and the skis were wider as well. Without a bunch of gear inside it can be moved rather easily by a single person, You know as long as there isn't a foot of powder. I didn't care much for the fact there isn't a hole already in the floor to jig from and feel that it really wasn't built well to add one . The sales person did say you can do it but I personally will not be . I plan on using my 949 anyway for that purpose . I HAD NO Luck dealing with TBA in Bangor so I came from Lincoln powersports. They actually get them from Tba but sold it to us for less then TBA would. Hope this is helpful.
Would be a shame to have that shack and not be able to jig out of it. This is what you want for your jig holes. Just do a search for "Catch Cover" and you will find them. All you do is cut a hole in the advantech floor between the floor joists and screw it in place. The cover snaps in place and will not come out on its own. They also sell sleeves to line the hole to keep the cold out. Very strong and safe to walk on when not being used. I have 3 in my 8 x 12.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:38 AM »
Over 4' eliminates dragging over some trails . for good jig holes use 5 gal pails with good covers  cut off pail bottoms and cut  pail off below two strength ridges .Cut hole so section below the pail top will slide down in tight. do this in warm conditions use tire irons to fit one ridge below floor and one above camp floor .Save the sleeve  when fishing remove cover and slide the sleeve down in hole this will eliminate drafts. When ready to move camp pull out sleeve and put cover on tight, this has worked for me for years . also this is a lot cheaper than buying fancy covers that can be costly.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2018, 11:13 AM »
Over 4' eliminates dragging over some trails . for good jig holes use 5 gal pails with good covers  cut off pail bottoms and cut  pail off below two strength ridges .Cut hole so section below the pail top will slide down in tight. do this in warm conditions use tire irons to fit one ridge below floor and one above camp floor .Save the sleeve  when fishing remove cover and slide the sleeve down in hole this will eliminate drafts. When ready to move camp pull out sleeve and put cover on tight, this has worked for me for years . also this is a lot cheaper than buying fancy covers that can be costly.

Do you think someone is really going to cheap out on covers when they have just spent 3k on an ice shack? : :-\

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2018, 12:12 PM »
Your money do what ever pleases you but I have been doing this for 50 yrs and it works very well .Dragging shacks several miles and keeping slush and snow out it un believable.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2018, 03:35 PM »
Do you think someone is really going to cheap out on covers when they have just spent 3k on an ice shack? : :-\

By the look of his post's this year it looks like Uncle Al is starting to set in. It is only Dec.  :cookoo:
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline mrbean1025

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Woodchip,

I'll keep that in mind but Gamefisher does have a point. The one I get will definitely be bigger than 4 feet in any direction, just too small for what I want.

Offline maine_fisha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2018, 02:22 PM »
I own an 8x12 sport shack, love the room it has, allowed me to install a table that turns to a bed. a kitchen area with a propane oven/cooktop and counterspace.

If I had to complain about 1 thing, it would transport. Getting it on the trailer is no easy task. I have rigged up a winch and plan to see how that works in a couple weeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.