New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Dick's considers removing hunting gear all together  (Read 4893 times)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
Re: Dick's considers removing hunting gear all together
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2018, 12:02 PM »
As a kid I remember going to the Dicks in Vestal and Binghamton in the late 70's early 80's and they used to do reel repairs and sold bait when they were just a small shop.  Like it or not it's really something how that store went from 2 locations to what it is now.  Anybody from Binghamton area remember the old Philly Sales stores?  That used to be quite the place with a small section devoted to hunting and fishing stuff. 

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Philly Sales!  Blast from the past.  Sugermans as well. 
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Near me we had Woolworths and Fays Drugs that both had great fishing tackle selections...someone mentioned the Dick's in Ithaca a few posts ago? Worst I've ever seen. I get my staples online but try to support the little shops when I can. Forest fisheries in Homer usually has a solid selection

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:27 PM »
they should close all together. we need fewer dicks in the world.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:29 AM »
I guess they don't need any business from sportsmen. I'm willing to do my part.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:46 AM »
they should close all together. we need fewer dicks in the world.
:roflmao: true to that
The only reason I do any business there is because there’s one right next to where I work, in the same strip mall and parking lot. They have a dismal selection to begin with for hunting, and their fishing gear is just enough to get me by in a pinch if I run out of something basic.

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Near me we had Woolworths and Fays Drugs that both had great fishing tackle selections...someone mentioned the Dick's in Ithaca a few posts ago? Worst I've ever seen. I get my staples online but try to support the little shops when I can. Forest fisheries in Homer usually has a solid selection

Forest Fisheries is a great little shop with really friendly/helpful people working there too

I was glad to see that Dicks has had a drop in sales numbers since changing their gun policy, seems strange that they are considering dropping hunters in an attempt to bring in more soccer moms.  I know I drop more $$$$ on gear than most broads do on tights and sportsbras

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 06, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Yeah, they should just shutdown and put thousands on the unemployment line because a few don't like what they stock... Brilliant stuff fellas...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 06, 2018, 12:12 PM »
The closest one to me is 45 minutes away, and I hate going to Burlington, so I very rarely make it out there. But they seem to have an alright selection of stuff...just never the one thing I went there for lol.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:43 PM »

Yes the old Fay's in Ithaca had a great selection of fishing stuff in the 80's.   Used to stop there when I was up that way fishing Milliken or the east side creeks in the fall. 

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:44 PM »
Philly Sales!  Blast from the past.  Sugermans as well.

Forgot about Sugermans but that was another. 

Offline Pete26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 06, 2018, 03:13 PM »
One more reason to not even walk in the door.

Offline jon4611

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish now work later
« Reply #42 on: Dec 07, 2018, 12:32 PM »
i think its sad its came to this

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 07, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Between the decline in hunting and the short season compared to fishing it probably isnt that profitable. Ultimately its business if they where making good money they wouldnt stop carrying hunting supplies. I much prefer runnings and when im in the store the ice fishing set up seems to always attract more than the hunting set up, granted im in the store only a very small percentage of the time and the set ups are at different times of the year but thats my 2 cents.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2018, 01:34 PM »
short season  what are you talking about I can hunt  from oct 1  to dec 18 for deer and you think that's a short season? and that's just deer  rabbits  till match  and  less  gun licence  for deer are being sold however a lot more  bow licenses are  sold  along with a  big increase in waterfowl hunting again...... now consider this  27 million guns where sold  in  2016   that's a lot of reason to keep selling guns

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2018, 01:40 PM »
trapper I hunt and a lot of people I know hunt but most of us hunt for deer season only. Not all too many people hunt like you. Again if it was very profitable their would be no thoughts of not selling hunting supplies. Pure business. Now fishing, lots and lots of money to be made with much longer seasons. I know I spend way more money on fishing than I do hunting. Again just my 2 cents

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Dec 07, 2018, 02:20 PM »
well there were 562,250 deer hunters in ny state  in 2006-07

569,247 deer hunters  in 2016-2017

just  for interest trapping licenses 

2006-07 ......13,144

2016-17 .....15,229

fishing

2006-07 ........991,084

2016-17.......925,949 ................the only decline ...66,035 ....

https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/26368.html

now add to that  the sales of guns have double  since  the  beginning  of obamas administration ....27 million in  2016  that's a  gun being sold  every 20 minutes  ;D

these are  facts  that can be checked in a matter of a few  seconds  ..... the liberals  don't want you to know these things they  keep  putting out fake  news ......

joseph geobbels......."If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" 

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:20 PM »
Man this thead is sounding awfully political.. Better shut it down before someone gets offended lol..

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:41 PM »
I saw a report the other day they are thinking about closing Field and Stream stores all together and getting rid of hunting and fishing in dicks
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 13, 2018, 05:31 AM »
Here in the Binghamton area the only place we have to buy any hunting or fishing items is Dicks. The selections stink but what's there to do? We had Gander Mountain until it closed. Short of an hour drive north or south we have to deal the cards with what we have. I get some things online but I sometimes like to actually hold the item in my hands before I buy it. And Trapper, right on my friend.  :thumbsup:

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 13, 2018, 06:44 AM »
Don’t forget the Dicks and Field and Steam are owned by the same people now. Dicks started Field and Stream to compete in the outdoor world with Cabela’s bass pro and gander. And they bought the field and stream logo just to say they have been around since 1871 as a sales pitch even though they have only been in business for the last few years. It is not the same Field and Stream we grew up reading. When dicks pulled their ARs so did field and stream. Also, field and stream marked much of their high selling items 10% higher than they do at Dicks knowing people would rather shop at the field and stream stores taking advantage of the guys that don’t want to shop around at multiple stores. Their headquarters are here in Pittsburgh so it’s been a hot topic with a lot of folks I know that work for them knowing they are not Pro Gun, not really anti gun either, just not willing to stand up for gun rights when they should. The sales are likely down because people that are aware of this like a lot of people around here have stopped shopping there.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 13, 2018, 07:51 AM »
I live in Binghamton and remember Philly's, Sugarmans, Allen's and Dick's very well. Only a fool would shop at Dick's (Unless your in the market for a $38 pair of socks) I get my ass out of bed every Saturday morning for garage sales and every Sunday morning for the flea market. I have an arsenel of hunting and fishing stuff that would take care of ten men. For pennies on the dollar. Shop wisely my friends. And the vintage stuff goes on ebay for dollars on the penny :)
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Dec 13, 2018, 07:56 AM »
I know one thing the dicks in cicero makes   good money on their pre hunting season sales  on hunting and  guns  I have seen the lines . I think it would  be foolish  for them to remove the hunting gear and the  gun sales, but that's purely opinion .Dicks makes a lot of money off guns......

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:24 AM »
You claim they aren't Anti-Gun ? They hired 3 Anti-Gun lobbyists in Washington DC ! How Anti-Gun does one need to be ?

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:39 AM »
I don’t think we can say they are anti gun if they currently sell guns so saying they are anti gun is not a good argument. Once they stop selling them I will be the first to call them anti gun liberals against our basic rights to protect ourselves, might even wear a T-shirt “Dicks are Anti Guns and I am Anti Dicks”

They might be anti guns for the people but are all for making money on them. Saying they are not pro gun is surely true. But a store that makes profit off of guns but is known to not be pro gun is simply selling guns and not standing by the right for their customers to own them. It’s nonsense in my mind. Purely in it for profit and not in it to stand by the customers rights. Anyone that pays for a gun knowing their money will go to lobbying against future purchases needs some better education on the matter.

For the record I have not stepped foot in their store since the day they pulled the ARs off the rack. Same for field and stream. It’s against my belief to donate my money to a company that will use that money to try to restrict my gun rights. 
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Although I don't agree they're not antigun after hiring Anti-Gun lobbyists , I absolutely agree with your points made about buying from them . Their prices are way over inflated anyway . Especially in the fishing department .

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Although I don't agree they're not antigun after hiring Anti-Gun lobbyists , I absolutely agree with your points made about buying from them . Their prices are way over inflated anyway . Especially in the fishing department .

You are right. I can’t disagree they are antigun except that they sell them... for now. So I guess antigun but also willing to sell them makes it convoluted. So from that stance I 100% agree with you. It’s like a drug dealer against drugs. We are addicted to guns (I know I am) and they are ok selling them to us but they don’t agree with us having them. All I know is I won’t spend my money there knowing that.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Dec 13, 2018, 11:11 AM »
wegmans doesn't sell guns   does that make them anti gun? and  if I  have  the  right to keep and  bare  arms  doesn't  the owners of dicks have the right to  decide not to sell guns???? my suggestion is  write  dick's  or call  the corp office and share your feelings

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 13, 2018, 12:11 PM »
You right Trapper as far as contacting them to voice my opinion . I'll admit I'm not very proactive . Your correct on their RIGHT not to sell guns or anything else . But , when they hired 3 Anti-Gun lobbyists in Washington DC , trying to take away my Constitutional 2nd Amendment Rights ?  Yes , I now take it personally . I will make sure their stance is known on ALL outdoor forums . They already took a  ( 12% ? ) hit in their bottom line last quarter because of their Anti-Gun stance . Thus the reason for getting out of the sporting goods line in Dicks .

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:40 PM »
4x4  right up front I like the way you stick up for what you believe  ^5   can you tell me  who these 3 anti gun activist are that they hired? I am not  above a boycott if I fell there is justification.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.