Author Topic: How often sharpening NILS  (Read 1054 times)

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
How often sharpening NILS
« on: Nov 29, 2018, 05:48 PM »
How often are you guys sharpening your nils auger heads? I have a nils convertible with a season or 2 on it. Still feels razor sharp but it must have a few hundred holes on it by now.

I would rather send it out now then have to stop using it in the middle of the season but in not entirely sure I even need too.

So back to the original question, how often do you guys sharpen your NILS? On a schedule or when you notice a difference in cutting?
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: How often sharpening NILS
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:14 PM »
How often are you guys sharpening your nils auger heads? I have a nils convertible with a season or 2 on it. Still feels razor sharp but it must have a few hundred holes on it by now.

I would rather send it out now then have to stop using it in the middle of the season but in not entirely sure I even need too.

So back to the original question, how often do you guys sharpen your NILS? On a schedule or when you notice a difference in cutting?

Umm....good question. I've had mine since 2014. Ran one year with the normal cutting head, the picked up an 8in power point used that frank sharpened and been using that head....haven't sharpened one myself yet. Both are razor sharp......I have heard that when a nils cutting head goes dull that it just stops cutting all of a sudden......but I can't say if that's true.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Ive cut several thousand holes in a long weekend before with the same head. If the ice is clean, they go a long time.

Get a spare head. If one goes tits up, send it to frank and get it touched up while you run the other one.

I get all 3 of mine done every year, but my useage is atypical.

Offline dfeste

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:57 PM »
They last a long time in clean ice as stated.  In the 10 years or so I've been running Nils I've only had one stop cutting and that was from a hit.   I always have a spare of whichever diameter I'm running.  To be safe send it in every 3 or 4 years and Frank will have it in better than new condition.  I know this is an expensive solution but a second cutting head is the smartest choice.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2018, 06:01 AM »
  Time and number of holes cut doesn't isn't an indicator when you'll need sharpening.
  If you have to apply down pressure to cut or notice it's taking longer then it should to cut that is a sign your blade needs sharpening. 
Otherwise if your Nils is cutting on its own just enjoy it and don't waste your money.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2018, 06:32 PM »
Frank what's your current turn around time? My 6 is probably due for a fresh edge. Wasn't sure how stacked up you are with the season starting and all.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2018, 06:42 AM »
 Baetis62,  I don't get backed up and I only require 6 hours of sleep so...
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2018, 08:55 AM »
In my experience, Frank's turnaround time for the actual sharpening is considerably less than the shipping time it takes to get the cutting head to/back from him.  He works fast; shipping is the time consumer.

But as Frank points out...if it's currently cutting, it's sharp.
S.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.