The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New Guy!  (Read 1117 times)

Offline TYTYJM

• IceShanty Rookie
New Guy!
« on: Nov 28, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Hey everyone, I've never been ice fishing before but just picked up a used ice auger yesterday. Excited to get going this winter! Besides poles, tackle, and tip ups what else should pick up before heading out? Thanks!

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New Guy!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2018, 09:42 AM »
A sled helps to carry everything behind you, and some warm waterproof boots!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2018, 09:53 AM »
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Where are you located? What do people fish for in your area? It's not too late to turn aside before you wind up like us in the Land of the Living Dead waiting for a fish to come along.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline TYTYJM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2018, 10:06 AM »
Thanks! I'm in Billings Montana, we have some lakes close by. I would like to check out tongue river reservoir, cooney, and deadmans.  From Crappies to Pike!

Offline BonesJonesMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Oh, don't forget an ice skimmer for your holes.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Welcome! Get a spud or ice chisel too.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2018, 10:48 AM »
welcome!

many new to ice use a 5 gal bucket or two and then get too many things for the bucket and get a sled and then want to stay longer and get a shelter. flip shelter carries and holds your things and provides shelter all in one. then that gets heavy and you'll want to make a smitty sled.

then there is the safety issues. so cleats or screws in boots and flotation assist bibs at least that are meant for ice fishing.
they say never go alone and leave a note where you will be and times you'll be gone. so try to find a fishing buddy and learn from him/her and us.
watch videos on how to get out on your own. i get out on my back instead of my front because the flotation bibs and parka will have you laying on your back so don't fight it, use it to help get out. you can practice in the summer jumping off of a dock. always go back the way you came if you fall in and get out and roll away from the thin ice.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Welcome! Always great to see new ice fisherman on the board! I've been ice fishing for quite a few years, from lakes as small as 20 acres to as big as multiple state spans, so in as brief a statement as possible, here's the necessary setup-- Auger, rod/reel combos, lures/tacklebox, bucket, ice scoop, a warm outfit and water resistant boots at minimum, a sled to drag it (as high as sides as possible, so one of the heavy duty is ideal, although a kiddie sled works if you can balance it), and some form of safety device, such as ice picks. I'd also include an ice fishing finder, if possible. After using them, it'd be hard to fish without one. You don't have to break the bank on one, as the cell phone connected Fish Hunter systems by Lowrance go for sub $100 on a good deal, and those work well for ice fishing. I also put together a Striker 4 ($99) ice fishing combo after I took it off my boat to upgrade that. Cost $25 to retrofit it and it works great, with a flasher mode, scroll mode, and basic gps built in. If you're unfamiliar with ice fishing finders, there's a ton of videos on youtube to help explain how they work.

If you decide you like it and want to start getting fancy, that's when you can add a more expensive finder, pop up house, propane heater, hard sided carrying case for equipment, etc. Just like open water fishing, it can be reasonably cost effective to start, get expensive fast, but is worth the time and money if you enjoy it!

Offline TYTYJM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys! I'm excited to go out for the first time here soon. It's been fairly warm out here for a bit, but we have a winter storm coming in this weekend. Hopefully the near by lakes start freezing up. Anyone know ice conditions around the billings area? I saw that deadman's is around 2.5 on ice-report.com

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2018, 09:08 PM »
Welcome to the site, glad to have you here with us.  Have a safe and fun season.

Offline Cgasner1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Those step chisels for chipping ice are amazing think I got mine at cabelas for 20 bucks went with the 4’ one so I’m not splashing water on myself hopefully deadman’s iced up next week wanna rry that pretty bad

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Be aware of the ice conditions after it snows. Central Montana is supposed to get up to a foot of new snow this weekend and for those areas with very little ice if they get covered the ice may not get any thicker even with the colder temps coming.

Ken.........

Offline RedRocket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2018, 10:07 PM »
Thermal tip ups are nice!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2018, 06:14 AM »
all the gear in the world doesn't matter...yet...just get a five gallon bucket..with no gear..sit on the ice for 3 hrs....staring at the landscape..if you don't wanna blow your brains out....the journey has just begun....then the amount of toys and gear is endless

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2018, 02:40 PM »
ice picks incase you fall in, a throw rope incase someone else falls in, fingerless gloves and a 6 pack of your favorite adult beverages. (just remember to pack the empties off the ice)
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Boetticher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2018, 06:18 PM »
ICE CLEATS!! I thought these were a luxury item when I first started. First time I landed flat on my back on hard ice...ouch...proved these to be more of a necessity.  Limped into scheels the next day and bought the most expensive pair they had. Never regretted it.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Welcome aboard and there's always something new that ice fishermen can't live without. 

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2018, 04:18 PM »
Welcome aboard and there's always something new that ice fishermen can't live without.
that is a true story
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline TYTYJM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! I'm gonna try to go out to west rosbud next weekend. I picked up a couple used rod and reel combos and bought a garmin striker 4.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.