Author Topic: Vexilar ducer advice (proview vs dual beam)  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Crimson Night

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar ducer advice (proview vs dual beam)
« on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:47 PM »
I upgraded my Vexilar FL-20 to a Vexilar FLX-28. The FLX-28 is nice but it came with a Proview transducer. I am used to my dual beam transducer that switches from 9 to 19 degree beam widths. This proview doesn't appeal to me. It seems like an excellent deepwater transducer but it seems to not be good for the shallow water since I would have to turn up the gain to widen the beam. I would get a cluttered view by doing so. I also fish Lake Winnipeg frequently which requires wide beams in 5-15' of water. I also fish a lot of ponds in only a few feet of water.

I am wondering if I should take the dual beam ducer from my FL-20 and put it on the FLX-28. Then sell the FL-20 with the proview on. I feel like I didn't make the best choice and I want to salvage the situation as best as possible.

I would appreciate advice on this subject.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Vexilar ducer advice (proview vs dual beam)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:28 PM »
Either that or look for a TriBeam before they are sold out.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Or wait till next year for the "quad beam" just kidding  but something must be coming for them to discontinue a product  that many liked

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:45 PM »
Or wait till next year for the "quad beam" just kidding  but something must be coming for them to discontinue a product  that many liked

I think a quad would be way over kill......lol

What kinda shocked me is the tribeam they had was working well. The first Tribeams had a lot of issues, but once they switched the design they work great.

Offline Crimson Night

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:01 PM »
I don't mind using the dual beam. I pretty much only need 9 and 19 degree beams. If I don't need to get a tribeam I won't get it as it's not necessary.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2018, 08:50 AM »
I think the dual beam is the best ducer they ever made but unfortunately it is no longer available. I personally use a tri-beam and fighting with my proview for a season.  Hated it for the same reasons the OP mentioned.  My tri-beam works great but I think having three cone widths is overkill.  In 25 FOW, there isn't a hell of a lot of difference between the 9-12-19 degree angles.  A 9/19 would be just fine if you can find one. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Crimson Night

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Looks like I'll be putting the dual beam on the FLX-28.

I'll sell the FL-20 with the proview to someone. Lots of people getting into ice fishing looking for flashers. It should be an easy sell.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:55 PM »
I don't care for the proview either. on my FLX 28's I put on the standard 12 degree ducer and I find it is the happy medium. 19 degree is too wide at times and 9 degree is too narrow unless you are in really deep water.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2018, 01:19 PM »
my experience with the flx28 was def hindered with the proview ducer.   I think paired with my old dual beam, or a tribeam its a top notch unit . 

but i know old tom zedenko is always warblegarbling about the 28 only working as intended with the proview. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2018, 05:29 PM »
my experience with the flx28 was def hindered with the proview ducer.   I think paired with my old dual beam, or a tribeam its a top notch unit . 

but i know old tom zedenko is always warblegarbling about the 28 only working as intended with the proview.

Yep.

I just bought the FLX28 head when it came out and put it with a dual beam from my FL20 then later got the Tribeam for it. The FLX28 with either the dual or tribeam is great....

I kinda laugh at my uncle inlaw. His 38 year old kid and nephew drove into a pressure ridge and dunked the blazer in the water a few years back. So he gave his son his FL18. He liked his FL18 so much he ordered a new one in a double vision combo....it came with a pro view transducer.......poor guy just struggles trying to get the unit to work and display right in shallow water.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2018, 09:28 AM »
buddy had that double decker monstrosity for about a month before selling it.  we don't use cameras a ton in our dirty brackish water in IL.  he was like, i hate lugging this thing around.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Rebranding the 9 degree as a Proview was a mistake IMO.  Adjusting the gain only does one thing.  The fact that the 9 degree has a nice fat lobe near the transducer (ice surface) that you can utilize doesn't mean you can adjust the cone angle using the gain.  The output is pretty much constant unless using LP.   

The 2nd round tri beam, though better built, is morecrap imo; more noise, erratic cone shapes (blind spots) and nonintuitive gain levels when toggling between settings.  It just isn't worthwhile IMO.  The dual beam is sadly missed.  I find I use the 12 most, followed by the 9, rarely do I bust out the 19.  The 19 works great on shallow areas without weeds, but so does the 12. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.