Author Topic: Please except my apologies on the Eskimo Pistol bit Ouch!!  (Read 7385 times)

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Please except my apologies on the Eskimo Pistol bit Ouch!!
« Reply #30 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Only LAZERS since 1988, so far so good (maybe lucky or good technique)?  Used Gas Auger until 2 years ago... Yep Milwaukee Fuel 20v + Clam Plate + 6" and 8" LAZERS ordered in 2016.

OP heal fast and THANKS for the Warnings to others.

Peace Out & Blessings
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:40 PM »
I agree.....we'll see if more folks have these issues, it might become Eskimo's nightmare product if it dances around cutting things......I believe I have 60 days to return it if I hate it.....hope to get it shipped fast and take it on the ice....the ice here is like a mirror right now.

The Eskimo pistol is basicly a flat blade shaver ($40 mora) design that Eskimo updated to the lightweight composite material.

There are a few things you can do to help prevent it from walking on the ice when it comes to the flat blade shavers, and if you do them you should be fine.

1st always make sure you have sharp blades. With the flat blade shavers the cut isn't very agressive. So you want to make sure the blades are sharp and will grab. Really dull shaver blades will just spin on the top of the ice and never grab to cut regaurdless of pressure applied.

2nd always make sure the very inside tips of the blade cutting edge towards the center are not chipped up, banged up, or rounded off on the very edge. This is what needs to grab to get the blades cutting.

3rd they cut great on a drill. Liked my Eskimo flat blade shaver. The trick was to apply a good steady down pressure to start the blades cutting, then once it started back off the pressure.

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:55 PM »
 That’s scary.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 27, 2018, 03:07 AM »
Apology accepted, but not expected, excepted, or even exempted!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Nov 27, 2018, 05:30 PM »
So......are we taking bets that the Eskimo pistol 2 will have a center point next season when it comes out.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 27, 2018, 05:31 PM »
I sure hope so  >:(

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 27, 2018, 05:37 PM »
I sure hope so  >:(

What I would really like to see is a K drill or an Eskimo pistol (with centering point) in a 9.5-10in size so a guy could use it in the wheel house.

I like my nils 8in with the power point, but in cold weather the holes freeze down to fast. I looked into a Nils 10in with a power point, but they ran around $350 for the auger and $198 for a spare cutting head......at $550 I opted for an old 10in hand mora I got about $125 into with 4 sets of blades.  Does the job, but a center point would be helpful.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 09, 2018, 10:53 AM »
Took the 8" pistol out yesterday, drilled maybe two dozen holes through about 7" of ice with anywhere between 1"-5" of snow on the ice. Absolutely no issue, I went slow the first few turns. Great auger and true 8".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.