The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Favorite boots for ice fishing??  (Read 4257 times)

Offline Frontier87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Favorite boots for ice fishing??
« on: Nov 24, 2018, 06:34 PM »
What’s your favorite type of boot rubber or pac boot??

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Favorite boots for ice fishing??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2018, 07:02 PM »
I don’t know how they compare to others, but I’ve been wearing a pair of field and stream 1000 gram insulation rubber/neoprene hunting boots. I’m on my third season with them and they keep me dry and relatively warm. I usually use a pair of the hot hands feet warmers for the really cold and long days. 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Snowmobile boots with good liners . Never cold

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2018, 02:47 AM »
Cabelas predator extremes. Bulky but super warm.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2018, 03:45 AM »
Don't know if they're my favorites...yet. But I just picked up a pair of Bogs Bozemans that are rated down to -72*  They seem comfortable enough and easy on and off. Prior to these, I owned a pair of LaCrosse Icemans that were my favorite. Kept my feet warm and dry for many years. Unfortunately, I put screws in the bottoms for traction a few years back and they managed to work there way through the soles at the end of last season...a cold,wet surprise! (never again). Trying to repair them...more to follow. Anyway, good luck in your search.

https://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/71971-001.html?utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=Retargeting&utm_content=Ads&utm_campaign=FW17_Criteo
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Frontier87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:52 AM »
I used to have lacrosse alpha Burlys with 800g of thinsulate. But those boots don’t hold up and start to leak after 2 years of use. Not sure if this is because they are a neopreane style boot? Switched to lacrosse  4x burly 1200 grams of thinsulate  all rubber boots. Hopefully they don’t leak after a couple years.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:05 AM »
I used to have lacrosse alpha Burlys with 800g of thinsulate. But those boots don’t hold up and start to leak after 2 years of use. Not sure if this is because they are a neopreane style boot? Switched to lacrosse  4x burly 1200 grams of thinsulate  all rubber boots. Hopefully they don’t leak after a couple years.

That's sorta-kinda what these Bogs have for uppers, but plenty of rubber before getting there. Plan is to be easy on them and keep legs of suit over them, which I've always done anyway. BTW Frontier, where did your LaCrosses begin to leak. I never had issues until I "put the screws to 'em"  ;D

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:16 AM »

By far the best boot I have owned...never cold...not even a little !!

Offline Frontier87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:23 AM »
That's sorta-kinda what these Bogs have for uppers, but plenty of rubber before getting there. Plan is to be easy on them and keep legs of suit over them, which I've always done anyway. BTW Frontier, where did your LaCrosses begin to leak. I never had issues until I "put the screws to 'em"  ;D

After 2 years of ice fishing and snow blowing they leak through the curve of the boot on top of my foot. Ends up leaking through and soaking my socks in just a few hrs. They have the rubber bottoms like your saying but it’s a different type of rubber then their “all rubber boots”. All I can think is it’s not as tough. I almost switched to pac boots but couldn’t pass up the Black Friday deal on the lacrosse website

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:33 AM »

After 2 years of ice fishing and snow blowing they leak through the curve of the boot on top of my foot. Ends up leaking through and soaking my socks in just a few hrs. They have the rubber bottoms like your saying but it’s a different type of rubber then their “all rubber boots”. All I can think is it’s not as tough. I almost switched to pac boots but couldn’t pass up the Black Friday deal on the lacrosse website

Same here...Reg. $150 down to $50. I'd be a fool not to try them   ;)

Offline Fish2kill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2018, 01:13 PM »
In all honesty the warmest my feet stayed was when i wore my steel toe knee high uninsulated rubber work boots with 3 pairs of socks. Not sure why but did a much better job than any winter boot ive worn. Granted ive noticed my "waterproof" winter boots in the past hadnt been quite so waterproof.
A skeleton walks into a bar and asks for a beer and a mop

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall.

Happy fishing!

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Lacross ice kings with wool liners it's the warmest boot they make my last pair lasted me 20 years wore a hole on the souls got me another pair now. They are not cheap but worth it IMO

Offline Frontier87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Lacross ice kings with wool liners it's the warmest boot they make my last pair lasted me 20 years wore a hole on the souls got me another pair now. They are not cheap but worth it IMO

I almost got a pair but was unsure how they would do if you were standing in water, Walking thru overflow, or just a heavy wet slush.

Offline Grantman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Mickys, warmest boot on the planet!

Offline LSHD69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2018, 04:34 PM »
I’ve been very happy with 1200 gram Danner Pronghorns. At least good to zero. Maybe a little lower. Then it’s bunny boots.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:31 PM »
I used Danner Boots for years. but after they stopped making them in USA the quality went to pot. 

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Baffin Titans
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Keen Summit County. Waterproof and breathable with 300 gram insulation, 450 gram around the toes. They are good to -15°, then I switch to LaCrosse 600 gram insulated boots. Any more insulation is too much.

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Agree woodchip guide gear 40$

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2018, 05:33 AM »
Plus 1 on these. My feet have never been cold when wearing them on ice, snowmobiling, or hunting. I just spent three hours in a tree in -2 degree weather Thanksgiving morning.Toasty toes.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2018, 08:39 AM »
I use my Baffin snowmobile boots when it's snowy and my Muck Arctics when it's soupy.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Muck Arctic Ice boots for me.. my only gripe is that I wish the calf was adjustable as I have ham hocks

Offline Jadler311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2018, 11:51 AM »
I've used the LL Bean Big Game boots for the last few seasons and have found them to work great. Waterproof, relatively lightweight and very comfortable. They have kept my feet extremely warm even on the coldest days up in the County. The BOA lace system has been really helpful as well.  :tipup:

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:00 PM »

x2 on both points.  I bought a pair of Cabela's Gore-Tex Meindl hunting boots last year prior to the season and found those suitable for most days and a heck of a lot easier when hiking a distance on foot. 

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Gotta love the Baffin's! Feet are always warm and dry!

smitty :tipup:

Offline YukonClam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Mickys, warmest boot on the planet!

Yep! 
If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago."

Zane Grey

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2018, 07:23 PM »
i have bad foot circulation and the only boots to keep me warm are the baffin apex -150f rated . pricey but worth it!  canadian military issue. these are allagash region warm!

Offline 59tony

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 27, 2018, 07:42 PM »
I’ve worn lacrosse icemans since ‘97 n they finally started to crack last year... I didn’t like the reviews on the newer models apparantley the quality wasn’t there like before so I just got muck arctic ice delivered...my buddy swears by his arctic pros  n they’re both good fo -60....the only difference is the ice has a new tread specifically for ice and the rubber goes further up i the calf than the pros.....lookin forward to testin em out!

Offline jcrow75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 27, 2018, 08:05 PM »
I have used Mickeys for years and love them for keeping my feet warm and dry. I hate that they weigh so much when we're walking through heavy snow or a long distance. I am looking for something fully waterproof and light weight.

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2018, 06:14 AM »
I like my Muck Arctic Sports and Cabelas 1200 gram pac boots (I take 2 pair on weekend trips cause my feet sweat). I use regular waterproof hiking boots before the snow hits, that's my favorite!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.