Author Topic: who makes a good 6" ice skimmer  (Read 4322 times)

Offline offshoredrilling

• IceShanty Rookie
who makes a good 6" ice skimmer
« on: Nov 21, 2018, 10:31 AM »
I'm coming into my third season of ice fishing and one piece of gear I begrudgingly continue to use is the old $3 special ice skimmer. What QUALITY options are out there for a 6" hole? Most of the stuff on the market wont fit in anything smaller than an 8"

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: who makes a good 6" ice skimmer
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2018, 10:34 AM »
go to your local dollar store, they got all kinds of things you make work in kitchen section

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2018, 10:43 AM »
HWI Lifetime skimmer from Sportmens Direct

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2018, 11:12 AM »
I use the 30” plastic black/yellow Frabill scoop. It works for 6” holes but not as well as it does for 8” holes.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2018, 03:24 PM »
I need a new skimmer this year. I have an old one I inherited but need a second one for the boy. I am looking at this from marine general.

https://www.marinegeneral.com/product/lakco-ice-skimmer-2/

jbird68

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2018, 03:43 PM »
This is the best I have used beside a cheap plastic that gets the job done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dB0sfLKzJ68

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2018, 04:59 PM »
This is the best I have used beside a cheap plastic that gets the job done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dB0sfLKzJ68

+1 for the Deep Freeze Skimmer

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2018, 05:22 PM »
I use the 30” plastic black/yellow Frabill scoop. It works for 6” holes but not as well as it does for 8” holes.

I was thinking about getting one to save on the back... does to work well for this purpose?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:08 PM »
I have a couple "nice" 8 inch metal scoops. The metal ones always freeze up and the ice doesn't just break off like you might think. So I'm still using a 6 inch plastic cheapy.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:43 PM »
I took a cheapo orange plastic one with the small strainer and sandwiched the handle between some scrap wood I had in the shop with a couple of pipe clamps. Nice and long now.  Don't have to bend over too far when I'm seated or hole hopping.  Works great.  I also have the fancy Frabill one which I picked up for cheap late last year.  Like that one too but as mentioned it does work better on 8" holes.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:51 PM »
I use this one. have both the 16 and 32 inch models. the 32 inch saves on bending over to clean the holes. mainly use the 16 inch in the one man shack where I am close to the ice anyways.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/accessories/ice-skimmer.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:46 AM »
I like the ones like Jbird posted, get one with a longer handle, saves on the back, and the handle can be used for a measuring stick.

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2018, 07:22 AM »

these things are great come in two sizes as well, we use the larger one to shovel snow at times, the best thing is they float.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2018, 12:22 PM »

these things are great come in two sizes as well, we use the larger one to shovel snow at times, the best thing is they float.

That’s the best one I seen. You can trim it with tin snips and flame polish the edge if needed for smaller holes.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2018, 02:26 PM »
I took a cheapo orange plastic one with the small strainer and sandwiched the handle between some scrap wood I had in the shop with a couple of pipe clamps. Nice and long now.  Don't have to bend over too far when I'm seated or hole hopping.  Works great.  I also have the fancy Frabill one which I picked up for cheap late last year.  Like that one too but as mentioned it does work better on 8" holes.

I bought a piece of aluminum stock the same size as the existing handle and screwed them together. Also bought one of those retractable key holders, cheap shower curtain ring and connected everything together and attached to the D-ring on the lapel of my jacket...works great.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2018, 08:51 AM »
What about this? I know it's for cooking but it looks interesting.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/6-bamboo-handled-coarse-skimmer/407SKIMBC6.html

jbird68

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2018, 09:04 AM »
I have some sort of kitchen utensil with the strainer part on a 45 angle to the handle. I find that works better than the 'proper' skimmer I bought with a 90 deg angle.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2018, 09:17 AM »
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Need to have it plastic or metal.

The wok strainer will not work because the fine mesh will become a solid piece of ice. See what happens when you bang that soft metal.on hard ice to break the ice off it.

For a 6" I would use the smaller jiffy metal scoop. Anything larger go with a little dipper.

I carry a bait net when I am running and gunning to clean put hole and even that mesh became frozen. 

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Been using the “Big Dipper” 8” scooper for about 15 years. I tipped the opposite end of the scooper with a metal strip I use for chipping the holes as the day continues. What I am trying this year is switching out the 8” strainer with the 6” so I still have the long reach. Even with chipping the ice, the hole still would become smaller in diameter, originally drilled 8”. Like another post, I too used it as a way to get the snow and slush away from the action. Originally bought online from somewhere in Minnesota, now available thru Cabelas.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Are any of them with plastic scoops durable? I had two with plastic scoops and they both end up cracking and tearing. But I've been looking at one from frabill but it has a plastic scoop.
jbird68

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2018, 09:12 PM »
Are any of them with plastic scoops durable? I had two with plastic scoops and they both end up cracking and tearing. But I've been looking at one from frabill but it has a plastic scoop.

I mostly use the cheap plastic one's and they last for at least a few seasons and longer. I don't bang them on the ice though. When I want to knock the ice off I just lift my leg in a way that I can smack it on the bottom of my boot on the tread part. Works pretty good and keeps it from breaking your scooper.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:07 AM »
I use a metal one. Not sure if it would fit in a 6" hole, but the metal is easier to de-ice than plastic if you have a heater. Just set the scoop on top. You also get a nice sizzling sound when you clear the ice out of your hole. Just don't touch the business end.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:04 AM »
The main thing, IMO, is to have the scoop on a 45 deg angle rather than 90 so you can fling the slush off to the side. (Try to miss your buddies boots if you want to go with him again!)
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Jiffy makes a black powder coated metal scoop that works pretty well. It should be ok for a 6inch hole
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2018, 06:30 AM »
Jc, you've given me a new idea...

When I want to knock the ice off I just lift my leg

I always knew a few beers on the ice was essential. It never occurred to me to use the byproduct to de-ice my skimmer.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:43 PM »
The basic orange plastic ones.. the ones with the black plastic handle seem to hold up better, the metal ones crack. I usually clean the holes with the auger but use one when hopping skimmed over holes.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Jiffy makes one called the Chipper Dipper for a 6" and one for an 8". I have both, they have chisel points on them and measurement marks up to like 19". Powder coated steel, I've had both of mine for many years, they are bulletproof.

https://www.reedssports.com/jiffy/jiffy-chipper-dipper-6in-skimmer-59583?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgMPgBRDDARIsAOh3uyI49xX6Y5h1ltSAUdmsHHAluna1ioD0-VhOX6YPzJAvEdK-P0a30_EaAmOdEALw_wcB
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2018, 01:13 PM »
Jc, you've given me a new idea...

I always knew a few beers on the ice was essential. It never occurred to me to use the byproduct to de-ice my skimmer.

Hahaha,  That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2018, 09:28 AM »
If you get a metal one make sure it has rivets and not spot welds.  The spot welds won't hold up when you try to bang the frozen ice off the thing.

I like the ~5 1/2" one that has a telescoping handle, but I've lost two of them so far.  A 6" skimmer will have trouble clearing a 6" hole after a few hours.

I'm currently using a really cheap plastic one with a yellow skimmer head and black handle.  Works for me and I won't feel bad when I lose it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.