Author Topic: Eskimo pistol bit info  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo pistol bit info
« on: Sep 21, 2018, 11:16 AM »
Hi was at Scheels today they should be in soon when they come in. I chatted with a associate that was at the ice shows sounds like it will bolt right to the Clam plate and you can use a regular extension for it here is hoping. Just thought I would share. 

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo pistol bit info
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2018, 11:30 AM »
This is an awesome new product for this year. Can't wait to see some reviews on it. Lighter than the kdrill with flat blades should make it more similar to the nils speed.

http://tackleshack.ca/eskimo-pistol-bit-drill-ice-auger/
Da Pack!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Same price as the KD, uses less flights and has the standard cutting blades. Going to be interesting on how this stacks up vs others.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Same price as the KD, uses less flights and has the standard cutting blades. Going to be interesting on how this stacks up vs others.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks interesting, but besides a tad less weight it's a fricking flat blade shaver.......with the pics you posted.....I don't think the cutting preformance will be one bit different from a $40 flat blade hand auger. I think I'd rather have the k-drill at that price point.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Looks interesting, but besides a tad less weight it's a fricking flat blade shaver.......with the pics you posted.....I don't think the cutting preformance will be one bit different from a $40 flat blade hand auger. I think I'd rather have the k-drill at that price point.

Right!

A centering point would add a lot of appeal to it..

It'll at least drill faster than a kdrill too..

<°)))>{

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2018, 08:48 PM »

First it’s $30 cheaper, next it cuts an honest 8”hole (KDrill 7 1/2” hole which is 12% smaller), blades are same as Mora that are available everywhere for a reasonable price.
The flat blade Mora cuts far better than the K-drill.
Don’t know if you actually own and have used both but you really need to try each and then comment.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2018, 09:34 PM »
First it’s $30 cheaper, next it cuts an honest 8”hole (KDrill 7 1/2” hole which is 12% smaller), blades are same as Mora that are available everywhere for a reasonable price.
Don’t know if you actually own and have used both but you really need to try each and then comment.

Why would I have to have tried both to comment. It's not to hard to see the pros and cons of each.

To start with.....this pistol is a mora flat blade shaver. At the price point a simple flat blade hand auger can be had for well over $125 less then the pistol. The little bit of weight savings is not worth the premium....if the unit had center point it would add value, but doesn't.

While the k drill is more expensive, it has a centering point, and runs a chipper style blade. No hand auger or drill auger that I know of has a center point / chipper blade on the market. Hence why it can bring a premium, and why I would rather have the kdrill vs the pistol at those price points. I've already got a flat blade shaver hand auger for $20 that will cut like the pistol.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2018, 10:32 PM »
This is hilarious. Eskimo comes out with another Mora copy and everyone is drooling over it

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2018, 10:42 PM »
This is hilarious. Eskimo comes out with another Mora copy and everyone is drooling over it

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2018, 10:46 PM »
Yup meanwhile jiffy actually does something different and its "overpriced" "they're  headed in the wrong direction" ect.. makes my brain hurt ???  :whistle:

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2018, 09:29 AM »
The biggest selling point of this auger is it’s lightweight design for electric drills.  Having a 8” auger at 4lbs goes a long way when the next closest 8” auger weighs in at 7lbs or more.  8” Kdrill is not a true 8” auger.

But because Eskimo elected to use flat shaver blades it’s cutting performance is not gonna be any difference then per say the Mora blue augers sold by Strikemaster. 

However it will be more efficient at cutting then the Kdrill as far as speed and battery life usage.

To the guys who need to be as light as possible will appreciate this.  If your drilling a lot of ice holes every ounce of weight saving is helpful.  Especially if your the type that pop 100-400 holes a day. (Run and gun or tournament Ice anglers)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2018, 11:23 AM »

According to Eskimo's site, it's 249.99 for the 8". Same price as a KD8.

https://www.geteskimo.com/Product/10197/auger-complete-pistol-8-inch

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2018, 12:32 PM »
According to Eskimo's site, it's 249.99 for the 8". Same price as a KD8.

https://www.geteskimo.com/Product/10197/auger-complete-pistol-8-inch

OnLine stores show the price as $219.99.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2018, 02:48 PM »
OnLine stores show the price as $219.99.

Makes sense they'd sell them through distributors cheaper. Vexilar should do the same.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Makes sense they'd sell them through distributors cheaper. Vexilar should do the same.
At the end of the day Vexilar would more than likely lose money doing that because they'd have to spend time and cash enforcing MAP pricing. It's not worth the hassle, especially with a complex and labor-intensive product where warranty service is common.

Everyone and their brother would buy them $30 cheaper on Amazon from some cutthroat distributor who handled and stored them in sh*tty conditions, and guess who they'd come crying to for warranty coverage? Vexilar.

The company where I work used to go the distributor route and it was a nightmare. Some sketchy warehouse place would buy pallets upon pallets of equipment and sell it for pennies on the dollar on amazon because they had enough volume. Then when someone would need work done they come to us expecting to get it fixed for free because the seller they bought it from stone-walled them. We'd ask if they bought it from an authorized dealer and then they'd get pissed when we told them their unit wasn't covered under warranty.

We went MAP pricing for a while, but that is a tail-chasing endeavor trying to enforce it; now we just eliminated quantity break pricing and started offering retail sales, and the problems have gone away.

Bottom line, a product like a Vexilar sonar would be a nightmare for them to convert to distributor sales.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.