Author Topic: Milwaukee side handle upgrade.  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Milwaukee side handle upgrade.
« on: Sep 17, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Called them today had to leave message. The new fuel drills have a new handle. Will it fit the old 2703 drill? Meaning can I just buy the handle to upgrade?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Milwaukee side handle upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2018, 01:04 PM »
The new handle will only fit the new drills from the way it looked to me. My budy got the 2803-22 kit last week and it is a bit different
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Thank you I kind of figured it but good to know

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2018, 08:24 AM »
After contacting them. Their answer was no it will not work. I said its a real bummer for many of us who bought the 2703-22 just two short years ago. Their response was sorry. You would think that they would have come up with a universal handle to fix the known problem with their product.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2018, 08:25 AM »
After contacting them. Their answer was no it will not work. I said its a real bummer for many of us who bought the 2703-22 just two short years ago. Their response was sorry. You would think that they would have come up with a universal handle to fix the known problem with their product.
  Since the 2703/2704 has a 5 year warranty, I wonder if they'll be replacing drills that get broken where the handle attaches with 2803/2804 drills.  I guess we'll find out.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2018, 10:03 AM »
What is the problem with the old Tee handle's? Mine has been working flawless. I put it on one time and have never taken it back off again. It seems solid as a rock.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2018, 10:15 AM »
What is the problem with the old Tee handle's? Mine has been working flawless. I put it on one time and have never taken it back off again. It seems solid as a rock.
  Since the handle has a small contact point on the drill where you attach it, a lot of people were having issues snapping it off when their augers would catch at the bottom of the hole.  I never have had an issue with mine and my Nils.  Sometimes, I don't even bother with the side handle since the Nils cuts so smooth.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2018, 10:30 AM »
I have the 8" K-drill and no problems either. The K-drill doesn't snag at the bottom of the hole.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2018, 12:30 PM »
While using my 10" mora drill converted auger I broke a piece off my 2704 where the handle attaches. Could have been partially my fault as I havent used that handle at all and may not have had it secured correctly or just a poor desing in the handle attchment. I dont use the handle with my 8in concertible nils as its not needed. I'll post up a pic later when I get home
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2018, 01:05 PM »
I know Mora's snag at the bottom of the hole even when drilling by hand.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2018, 04:49 PM »
  Since the handle has a small contact point on the drill where you attach it, a lot of people were having issues snapping it off when their augers would catch at the bottom of the hole.  I never have had an issue with mine and my Nils.  Sometimes, I don't even bother with the side handle since the Nils cuts so smooth.

The metal on the drill where the steel handle attaches is garbage.  Simply drilling caused my new 2704 to break halfway through a hole on about the second day of using the drill last season.  The bottom of the hole had nothing to do with its failure.  Examining the break point on the drill showed some dissimilar metal composition for the metal.  I'm not a metallurgist, but it reminded me of cheap MIM parts that snap or some sort of pot metal.  The steel on the handle that connected to the drill was solid and fine, however.  The combination of a good, strong steel T-handle, the torque applied when drilling and the resultant force of keeping the handle from moving while attached, broke the cheap metal on the drill.

Since this issue didn't start appearing until last year's drill motors started breaking where the handle attaches, I suspect that Milwaukee cheapened their manufacturing process for the metal around the drill where the T-handle attaches.  Prior years’ models didn’t exihibit this failure.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Here's what can happen with the old inferior side handle attachment, it still functions fine and I can still use the handle but not to confident in it

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2018, 07:59 AM »
  Since the 2703/2704 has a 5 year warranty, I wonder if they'll be replacing drills that get broken where the handle attaches with 2803/2804 drills.  I guess we'll find out.

I wonder if anyone has tried this, would be interested in knowing how it worked out. It is obviously a defect in craftsmanship rather than misuse so you'd think it would be covered...
Da Pack!

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2018, 08:35 AM »
With the new drill upgrade will the batteries still fit from my old drill? I'm going to try lok tite on my handle for me it was the handle coming loose all the time. If the batteries fit I may just buy the drill itself the new one that is.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2018, 09:01 AM »
With the new drill upgrade will the batteries still fit from my old drill? I'm going to try lok tite on my handle for me it was the handle coming loose all the time. If the batteries fit I may just buy the drill itself the new one that is.
Yes, the batteries are interchangeable between the entire M18 line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.