Author Topic: Heavy duty commercially sold tow bar  (Read 1573 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Heavy duty commercially sold tow bar
« on: Sep 25, 2018, 03:35 PM »
What do you guys prefer or have experience with on a heavy duty commercially sold tow bar? I'm looking at the clam series pro hitch to go with my new X200 flip sleeper hut I'm putting together. I have one friend that has one on his huge smitty sled and loves it. Have any of you used this tow bar and can give me some input about them?
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Heavy duty commercially sold tow bar
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2018, 04:01 PM »
I don't see why the Shappell HD Hitch wouldn't work for you. It is good up the 250 LBs.
https://www.amazon.com/Shappell-JSH-HD-Heavy-Duty-Hitch/dp/B003FBJE2G
<===Lefty===

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2018, 04:07 PM »
unless one of your overweight fishing buddies is riding on your sled that you are towing...good thing for skis!!   ;D

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2018, 05:13 PM »
I have an otter and it’s stout.  Shappel is good with mods (beefing up with cables etc) but mine didn’t last a year as stock.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2018, 07:40 AM »
I don't see why the Shappell HD Hitch wouldn't work for you. It is good up the 250 LBs.
https://www.amazon.com/Shappell-JSH-HD-Heavy-Duty-Hitch/dp/B003FBJE2G

I have looked at that one lefty, I have been using the lighter duty shappels and just dont like the way they attach to the sled all that much. I use them on my jet sled and recruit and have to replace the screw lock caribiners/u-bolts here and there from abuse on towing long hauls. I'm sure the bar will hold up fine just not so confident in the connections on this heavier sled

unless one of your overweight fishing buddies is riding on your sled that you are towing...good thing for skis!!   ;D

Oh I'm sure that will happen eventually. LOL It's just inevitible with the crew I fish with

I have an otter and it’s stout.  Shappel is good with mods (beefing up with cables etc) but mine didn’t last a year as stock.

I have seen the otters in person regularly over the years but again it comes down to connections to the sled for me. I will definately keep looking at the otter and the heavy duty shappell to see what beefier connection I can come up with that I'll feel feel comfortable with pulling around upwards of 200-300lbs depending on what we're doing that weekend

Thnaks Guys
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2018, 07:57 AM »
<===Lefty===

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2018, 08:04 AM »
I have a clam hitch model 8241. My shanty dry is 150 lbs dry and I load it up heavy. I'm not easy on stuff and it works great for me. I leave it attached to my machine and flipover the whole time i'm out and I put some serious distance on per outing.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Make one out of galvanized conduit. I made one 10 years ago still works.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Eskimo also sells a Hitch.
https://www.geteskimo.com/Product/2365/universal-tow-hitch

The tub on the X200 is upwards of 40in wide and that bar only goes to 36in wide, thanks again lefty

I have a clam hitch model 8241. My shanty dry is 150 lbs dry and I load it up heavy. I'm not easy on stuff and it works great for me. I leave it attached to my machine and flipover the whole time i'm out and I put some serious distance on per outing.

I cant seem to find a weight rating on this one, but do like it. Only thing is if I can get the pro for around the same price I may go that route and will have a handle to move it around when not on the machine

I don't think you could go wrong with the Otter Universal Tow Hitch Adapter.  It's got a pretty big backing plate:  https://www.fishusa.com/product/Otter-Universal-Tow-Hitch-Adapter?msclkid=b15988305385160e020fd39bd67cd817&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Brands_New&utm_term=4585238367860419&utm_content=All%20Products&msclkid=b15988305385160e020fd39bd67cd817&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Brands_New&utm_term=4585238367860419&utm_content=All%20Products

Paired with the Otter Hitch, and I'm not sure you'll find a more heavy-duty setup.

between the backing plate and hitch its pretty spendy$$ but for sure a good heavy set-up. Those are exactly the ones my buddies have

Make one out of galvanized conduit. I made one 10 years ago still works.

Thats what I have done to my shappell hitchs for my jet sled and recruit well at least put longer bars on them. They have held up good but no where near the weight I'm going to be dragging around. If I dont like the price I'm getting by the 1st of Nov. I will definately be fabricating something
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline ayvexp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2018, 04:22 PM »
Looks like Eskimo also came out with a new tow bar that works with either a trailer hitch ball or a traditional clevis hitch. 

https://www.geteskimo.com/Product/10189/hitch-universal-pin-and-ball-assembly

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.