Author Topic: Snow and Lake access in area north of big river  (Read 1711 times)

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snow and Lake access in area north of big river
« on: Apr 16, 2018, 10:06 PM »
Hey all,

Hope everyones regular ice fishing season went well.  I actually had a pretty decent ice fishing season rounded out by 3 good trips to last mountain at the end of the season.  Now me and my buddy have our eyes set on some april trout.  but since we do not have snowmobiles and since the end of this winter (is it actually over yet??!) has been snow filled i was just wondering what conditions were like up in the area north of big river.

we are fine walking on the lake if there is slush and deep snow (we would rather not get stuck) but my main interest is the road into the lake.  We are planning to camp a few nights in my buddies winter tent and if needed we will hike into the lake bringing the gear on the sled and wearing our backpacks.  just kinda wondering what we might be getting ourselves into.  And wondering if we should avoid the optimism of thinking the trail into the lake looks good and start driving down it only to find out too late the snow is too deep.

So i am wondering if anyone has been up in the area and has any snow/lake reports to share.  The path in is heavily tree covered so i assume the melt will be going slower.  Anyone with any recent knowledge of the snow up in the hackett lake area?

We are planning on heading out this friday april 20th.

Thanks in advace for any info, and good luck to everyone trying for trout this month!

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Snow and Lake access in area north of big river
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Sounds like fun. There is a lot snow in the bush, no vehicle access to Teds.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2018, 09:48 AM »
What lake are you trying to access?

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2018, 11:08 PM »
We went to Ted's, hiked in with our backpacks and each dragged a sled with gear.  Didn't end up using the winter tent and instead just made a tarp shanty tent.  Slept in winter sleeping bags on our mats on a tarp on the ground.  And made a roof and make shift tarp walls for protection from the rain.  It ended up raining saturday but our shanty held up and kept us dry.  Really liked doing it this way when the weather was warm enough that the winter tent and woodstove were not required.  A fair bit more room and less gear to drag in.

The first night we just had the roof and floor tarp for our sleeping area.  We suspected in might rain the second day and added the walls and the tarp over our fire sitting and gear laydown area.  We decided next time we do this in weather warm enough for using our sleeping bags like this (without tent and woodstove) we will make a more thought out and better setup tarp tent structure.

Unfortunately we didnt catch any fish.  We were very mobile, trying different locations and hopping around multiple holes at different depths.  Saw one of the flasher but that was it.

The trail was still heavily snowed and lots of deep water in the low spots.

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Got to give you credit, that would be a hard walk into Teds. Too bad you didn’t get a few trout for lunch.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2018, 07:34 PM »
looks like a nice trip too bad the trout didn't cooperate

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Looks like it was a fun trip even without any fish.

My wife's aunt and uncle live on Delaronde and he took me out to Teds one day last summer for a great day of fishing. I seem to recall the trail in had a lot of low overhanging tree branches- does anyone know if you can fit a truck camper all the way down to the lake?
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.