Author Topic: Frabil predator?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Bad0351

• IceShanty Rookie
Frabil predator?
« on: May 08, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Do any of you guys own a frabil predator and how do you like it?
I would like to have a flip up shelter for next season and this looks like the size and quality I am looking for.
I know it's a big investment and just trying to make the right decision.
Thank you for any info you can give.
Growin old ain't for sissy's.......

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Frabil predator?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 08:49 PM »
Well built, tons of room, heavy as hell, not for pulling long distance by one person. assembly instructions could be better if you are buy new in the box, took the 2 of us about 1/2 a day to put together. there's a bit of a learning curve to set up, but once you get a method it's a breeze.

Offline Bad0351

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 03:46 AM »
Thank you so much for the info.....ok to pull alone for distances of 1/4 to 1/2 mile alone? And would the citadel be any easier?

Offline sweth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 06:08 AM »
As for pulling by hand it all depends on conditions. On glare ice will pull like a dream, a little snow it will begin to get more difficult, any slush and just leave it at home. Took three of us everything we had before to get it off a slushy lake. Also it is very heavy to load alone and also takes up a complete and I mean complete 6ft truck bed, can slip an auger along the side that's about it.

Offline Bad0351

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Thanks great info maybe be better off with a pop up.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 10:36 AM »
take a look at shappell. their popular fx line up is great. the fx100 will be offered in a thermo option this fall. i have one and like it plenty. i keep buying when ever they upgrade them so i am on my 4 generation of it. they were the lightest available. their thermo editions offer very little added weight.

smitty skies are the way to go if you want an easier pull thru snow.

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 01:40 PM »
take a look at shappell. their popular fx line up is great. the fx100 will be offered in a thermo option this fall. i have one and like it plenty. i keep buying when ever they upgrade them so i am on my 4 generation of it. they were the lightest available. their thermo editions offer very little added weight.

smitty skies are the way to go if you want an easier pull thru snow.

FX100 and Frabill Predator are quite a bit different size wise. I always see you advocating Shappell, do you work for them? I've owned over 20 flip overs but never a Shappell. They're not popular around here. I sat in one at Dicks and it had a bench with carpet on it, same as the original Genz fish trap with the dock or outdoor carpet.
See you on the ice!

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Do any of you guys own a frabil predator and how do you like it?
I would like to have a flip up shelter for next season and this looks like the size and quality I am looking for.
I know it's a big investment and just trying to make the right decision.
Thank you for any info you can give.

Are you looking at the Side step or front door model? I do not like the Side steps as the front bar lays across the sled when folded down, making it less handy to access all your gear in the sled and makes the entire setup a little taller when folded down, I cannot fit it under the tonneau cover. Also it takes longer to setup a side step as you need to use the spreader poles to make the front stay up.

If none of that matters to you, having 2 doors on the sides is great but I will not own another.

See you on the ice!

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Thanks great info maybe be better off with a pop up.

How many people do you want to fit, you are looking at a large flip over but talking about pulling it by yourself? I'm guessing you fish alone, but want the room to take out other people from time to time?

If it were me, and I was spending what the Predator costs, I'd buy a popup big enough to fish however many people you think you'll fish with, and use what money is left over on a small single man flip over. Maybe the other way around depending on how often you fish alone versus with other people. Different tools for different jobs.

Popups are fine, but you can't beat the quick set up and mobility of a flip over. If you don't care about the quick set up and/or don't need to move around a lot, you could always get a suitcase style, put it on a smitty sled, and have a real easy pull.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 05:33 PM »
If your dragging any 3 man by hand you are going to need a Smitty sled...so research that and locate some long down hill skis ….so videos to help with your quest

another option

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Bad0351

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 05:45 PM »
This is all incredible information and I want to thank each and every one of you for your help!!
I have a lot to think about now that I hadn't even considered before, and that's what makes this site so great!!
All you guys getting together to help a guy that doesn't have as much experience
Once again thank you.

Dale

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 09:50 AM »
FX100 and Frabill Predator are quite a bit different size wise. I always see you advocating Shappell, do you work for them? I've owned over 20 flip overs but never a Shappell. They're not popular around here. I sat in one at Dicks and it had a bench with carpet on it, same as the original Genz fish trap with the dock or outdoor carpet.

the man mentioned he had to hand pull. so then weight became a large factor so i spoke up. the reason the shappell is low profile is for wind and weight factors. adding hyfax runner kit to the bottom did make a huge difference on all of my sleds and flip over shelters except for in snow. then the skies make a huge difference. shappell suit case shelters come with skies already attached or are offered for sale for the 3000 model. i have one of those as well, but much prefer the flip over as it is the fastest and easiest way to get on ice and fishing and moving with no take down.

no i don't work for any one you'd know. there is a marketing manager that is a fellow member here. if you wanted to speak to him.

i did buy a frabill 2110 and wrote a lengthy review about it on amazon. i am certain frabill wished i hadn't voiced my opinion in my review.
 i do like shappell and i compare other brands to it when shopping and building and using them. to me, shappell is the standard i look for because of weight and function and price and availability. they were michigan based and were bought out by eagle claw recently. i also hand pull every time i ice fish.
i am from michigan and enjoyed supporting shappell. they were family based and not a huge name brand. so if you hadn't been following the name, then you wouldn't understand the enjoyment some of us have with the brand.

much of the weight from flip over shelters does come from the seating except shappell uses light weight wood and carpet to help keep weight to a minimal. shappell is very popular around here and we just add a bleacher seat for a back rest and they are also light weight.

Offline Crewchief

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 08:50 AM »
I have a Predator and, except for the weight, love it. If I were to buy one now I would get the side step version though.

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 08:34 PM »
the man mentioned he had to hand pull. so then weight became a large factor so i spoke up. the reason the shappell is low profile is for wind and weight factors. adding hyfax runner kit to the bottom did make a huge difference on all of my sleds and flip over shelters except for in snow. then the skies make a huge difference. shappell suit case shelters come with skies already attached or are offered for sale for the 3000 model. i have one of those as well, but much prefer the flip over as it is the fastest and easiest way to get on ice and fishing and moving with no take down.

no i don't work for any one you'd know. there is a marketing manager that is a fellow member here. if you wanted to speak him.

i did buy a frabill 2110 and wrote a lengthy review about it on amazon. i am certain frabill wished i hadn't voiced my opinion in my review.
 i do like shappell and i compare other brands to it when shopping and building and using them. to me, shappell is the standard i look for because of weight and function and price and availability. they were michigan based and were bought out by eagle claw recently. i also hand pull every time i ice fish.
i am from michigan and enjoyed supporting shappell. they were family based and not a huge name brand. so if you hadn't been following the name, then you wouldn't understand the enjoyment some of us have with the brand.

much of the weight from flip over shelters does come from the seating except shappell uses light weight wood and carpet to help keep weight to a minimal. shappell is very popular around here and we just add a bleacher seat for a back rest and they are also light weight.

Funny enough, I had read your post here and review on amazon on the frabill before I bought an aegis. The pole system I liked, the new plastic seats I did not. I sold it shortly after. I would not mind trying a Shapell but as mentioned they are not as popular as the other brands around here and I rarely see one for sale (could mean everyone keeps them for a long time), I will keep my eye out.
See you on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.