Author Topic: Snowmachine/4 wheeler which do you prefer  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Domi1983

• IceShanty Rookie
Snowmachine/4 wheeler which do you prefer
« on: Apr 10, 2018, 05:40 PM »
What's everyone running as far as a machine for ice fishing? Do you most prefer a snowmachine over a 4 wheeler?

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
Re: Snowmachine/4 wheeler which do you prefer
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2018, 09:24 PM »
I will use my ATV almost exclusively until there is more than 12" of snow & then the snowmobile comes out.....So, which do I prefer ?? Hmmm.....I would have to say the ATV because I'm able to load all my gear on it (snowmobile I tow a sled) & the ATV gets used year round.....Two totally different machines for different conditions.....Your conditions will dictate which is best for you.....Take care !!

You will probably find some talk on this subject in this section of the forum >>>>> https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=175.0

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2018, 12:24 AM »
I have purchased both a quad and snowmobile.  Both are used but in good condition.   During a normal Winter you normally need both.  Which one do I prefer?  When there is deep snow, the snowmobile.   When the lake has little snow or snowless, the quad.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2018, 04:40 AM »
I have both but prefer my sled but I prefer my sled which is fan cooled , we average about 143 inches of snow annually ,also  the lake I put the most time on develops lots of pressure cracks , far as no snow I still run the sled , I go  slow and bring along a little lube for the sliders , I usually don’t run anymore than 8 miles on any given day

Offline Domi1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:11 AM »
I have both also a snowmachine and a quad. I used to prefer using my Tundra, until I bought a set of tracks for my quad. Now the choice for me is easy, my quad all way with tracks.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2018, 08:41 AM »
I have both also a snowmachine and a quad. I used to prefer using my Tundra, until I bought a set of tracks for my quad. Now the choice for me is easy, my quad all way with tracks.

I 100% agree

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2018, 08:43 AM »
New owner this year, but the Snowdog is the ultimate, fits on a cargo carrier and can go on ice, snow or land....also no registration needed in many states (for now).

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2018, 09:35 AM »
I may have to start a new topic for this but I am just wondering if anyone plows snow at an angle if there is say more than 12" of snow on the ice. Not to bare ice but just enough so that the ATV has enough clearance from the snow and is usable vs a snow machine. I know wet snow vs light snow makes a difference as well but I do own a ATV that i will be rigging up for ice fishing and I also own a plow for it. In theory it sounds like it should work but there is no one better to ask then the group here that may do it already.
Just add water.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2018, 10:20 AM »
X2 on the ATV with tracks.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Sharps, I know that plowing on the ice does not set too well with those riding sleds. It leaves ridges for them to hit, plus they tend to become areas that fill with slush and water when the warmer weather comes into to play. Just my .02...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Sharps, I know that plowing on the ice does not set too well with those riding sleds. It leaves ridges for them to hit, plus they tend to become areas that fill with slush and water when the warmer weather comes into to play. Just my .02...h2l

Thanks hunts2long!

This is exactly the feed back I was looking for. New to the wheeler game and this makes complete sense and I wont be "that guy".

Just add water.

Offline Domi1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2018, 11:38 AM »
I would think it also depends on where you fish. If it a popular lake, where a lot of people are then they may not like the plowing. If you fish, remote lakes, where no one is go nuts and plow. Every year at my camp, I plow a skating ring for my two daughters. I have two neighbours, that share the lake also but they tend to come over and use it as well. Just keep in mind common respect towards others, that way everyone gets along.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2018, 04:47 PM »
I 100% agree
(Image removed from quote.)
Are the tracks easy to install yourself or do ya need them installed at a dealer? 

I would still like to use my wheeler in good weather around my property so I would  like to swap wheels for tracks and vise a versa. 

Is there a certain size quad required to install tracks on?

Offline Domi1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:19 PM »
The track kit I bought were the Camso R4S, the kit came with all the hardware to install. Took about 2 hours the first time, because I had to install the brackets, and all that. But everything gets left on, and its literally unbolt the tracks to wheelers and vice versa. Once hardware is install its pretty simple

luv2fish2

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2018, 07:19 PM »
x3 tracked atv   and i have a bearcat snowmobile and a max 2 six wheeler but atv gets the nod 90% of the time

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2018, 10:18 PM »
The track kit I bought were the Camso R4S, the kit came with all the hardware to install. Took about 2 hours the first time, because I had to install the brackets, and all that. But everything gets left on, and its literally unbolt the tracks to wheelers and vice versa. Once hardware is install its pretty simple
With the brackets and the added hardware for the tracks installed and the tracks removed, do you simply add the wheels backon for summer time use? 

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #16 on: Apr 13, 2018, 08:19 AM »
With the brackets and the added hardware for the tracks installed and the tracks removed, do you simply add the wheels backon for summer time use?

No, all mounting hardware needs to be removed before you add the wheels back on, then vise vesa for install.I use a Sears MC lift and if I do it alone, it takes about an hr and a half.  My machine is for ice only, I haven't had my tracks off in 4 years.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Apr 13, 2018, 10:40 AM »

I think there may be another way to look at this as well ... around here the people who have to walk would greatly appreciate a plowed path ... seems a sled should have no trouble breaking a new trail .... myself I prefer my quad as its much easier to load with gear and unload from my truck ...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline phesant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Apr 13, 2018, 01:45 PM »
X4 for ATV with tracks....... love ‘em

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:53 PM »
No, all mounting hardware needs to be removed before you add the wheels back on, then vise vesa for install.I use a Sears MC lift and if I do it alone, it takes about an hr and a half.  My machine is for ice only, I haven't had my tracks off in 4 years.
Thanks 52, I am going to buy a set of tracks this off season. 

Offline iceislife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2018, 07:37 AM »
I’m a wheeler guy due to year round use possibilities.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2018, 12:26 PM »
I prefer the atv for putting around and moving a lot. Snowmobile is nice on long hauls with sketchy ice. I have been known to plow a path for guys on foot away from my Fishing spot. ;D

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Different machines for different conditions.
I don't have a quad yet but it is on the list.
Snow mobile when there is plenty of snow and good ice, quad when there is not enough snow for snowmobiling(usually early and late in the season) and a hovercraft for when there isn't safe ice for either of the first two.  ;D
Got the snowmobile and hovercraft in my arsenal so far.  :thumbsup:

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 03:08 PM »
I got drunk in that building (BDFD) a couple of times.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.