The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Info on Rivers in your state  (Read 801 times)

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Info on Rivers in your state
« on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Hey guys, ya got a Hoosier here wanting to vacation in your fair state.  I'd like to know of what rivers would be a good choice for this summer when I go on vacation.  I've heard talk of the Fox and the Wisconsin Rivers.  I have a 14 foot jon boat with a 9.9 Evinrude on the back with my electric motor.  Looking for a few rivers that will allow me to zip up n down them without worry about the bottom tearing up my motors.  Also, I'd like to be able to get into pike and walleye with small mouth bass too.  I've been through your state on my way to Minnesota but I'd like somewhere a lot closer.  Info on ramps and towns would be appreciated too.  And any laws that I need to know.  Just a fellow sportsman here hoping to get a little help.  Message me if you feel generous enough to inform me.  Thanks guys.  Tight lines and be safe out there. 

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Info on Rivers in your state
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Look up Fremont Wisconsin. On the wolf river good fishing, places to stay, you can travel pretty far by boat.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:20 AM »
The Wisconsin river by the WI. Dells also some great fishing and very scenic.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:29 PM »
Mississippi is full of pike, bass and eyes and has nearly endless sloughs and backwaters to explore with a jon boat.  Plenty of places to stay and some campgrounds right on the river.

Edit:  I almost forgot, if you don't want to you don't have to pay for lodging.  Just find any island that looks good to you and throw up a tent.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2018, 02:51 PM »
Mississippi is full of pike, bass and eyes and has nearly endless sloughs and backwaters to explore with a jon boat.  Plenty of places to stay and some campgrounds right on the river.

Edit:  I almost forgot, if you don't want to you don't have to pay for lodging.  Just find any island that looks good to you and throw up a tent.
Now this is good info.  I might want to check that out about the islands.  Probably not really all that far either.  Thanks for the info

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:41 PM »
The Mississippi is big water and a hike across the state for you as it forms our western boundary. Depending on where you put in different regs may apply; Iowa/WI or MN/WI boundary regs can be a little different and to fish too far on the "other side" will require a license from that state. Not trying to steer away as there are lots of opportunities just want you to be wise if you decide that's your destination.

The Wisconsin is another choice (already mentioned) and has a healthy walleye fishery. There's also a couple wide spots that function somewhat like lakes (well sort of), Petenwell and Castle Rock.

You can run the Wolf River from Poygan (near Oshkosh) clear to Shawano before you encounter a dam. In the spring it gets pretty busy with walleye and white bass fishermen until the general opener spreads 'em out a bit. Just north of Shawano is Menominee County which is Reservation land. Again, different rules and culture. As you go farther north on the Wolf it gets more remote and still offers a lot.

You could head north of Green Bay and hit either the Peshtigo or Menominee Rivers. The Peshtigo is closer and has at least a couple of campgrounds I believe plus a number of flowages created by power dams and is known for smallies and walleye as is the Menominee. The latter (not on reservation land) is the NE boundary of of WI/MI and flows south (in WI) from about Iron Mountain and empties into Green Bay as does the Peshtigo.

The south part of the state has the Fox upstream from Green Bay. Not much like a river right away until you get out the west end of Poygan, then you'll run into a couple of dams that make Puckaway and Buffalo lakes. After that I think it's clear sailing to near Portage, not certain about the navigability of all of that though there's at least two more natural lakes it flows through. The Rock starts up around Horicon Marsh, flows south joining the Crawfish at Jefferson and continues south through IL until it meets the Mississippi at the Quad Cities area.

Plenty of opportunities. Good to look ahead and make plans. Should be a good trip!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.