Author Topic: Don't kill your fish you plan on releasing!!!!!  (Read 6645 times)

Offline alcanron

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Don't kill your fish you plan on releasing!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:44 AM »
I thought this was an ice fishing forum? Why do you keep bringing up fish that were caught in open water on the Kenai? I look at those Rainbows and I see resilient fish. Your so worried about hand placement look at the fishes mouth. They have been caught and released numerous times judging by the scaring . But then again I wear glasses so I might have missed something.
"There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only one you." The Old Man and The Sea

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Best PETA / HSUS / Troll thread I've ever read!! Beer Can Lake is 2nd..

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2015, 07:31 PM »
Best PETA / HSUS / Troll thread I've ever read!! Beer Can Lake is 2nd..
Thanks for your contribution...

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2015, 10:38 PM »
Trollin..? On an ice fishing forum? That ain't new here.
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2015, 10:41 PM »
I say...if you let them go and they swim away, all is well. If they go belly up, and its legal to keep, fire up the grill.

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2015, 11:03 PM »
So let me get this straight. On another post you don't want people pillaging fish on the lakes particularly lake Louise. But you could careless on how you handle the fish when caught? The point is we need to be carful when we release a fish. Not squeezing there guts and bringing them out of the tent in extreme cold just for a picture. All in all it does the same harm as clubbing it an taking it home. If it's handled poorly then it may die. Through the ice you can't get it back. So if you don't handle it well you may as well keep it so it isn't wasted. Food for thought!

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 18, 2015, 11:52 PM »
But you see..... People are either goin to listen to you, or they're not. Bickering over an Internet forum doesn't help. You don't have to, and don't have the right to, worry about what I do. I do encourage that large wild fish be released from that fragile system, but if they don't, sure i wont be excited for them, but i will hope that they use it. however, I'm not gonna spend my evening checking the page for responses. Now as far as beer can and Kenai are concerned, beer can is a put and take fishery. It's stocked 2-4X a year. Kenai River is a very productive and strong fishery, you can't imagine whatsoever how many trout, salmon, fish in general are beaten and abused and tossed back in by all the tourists and even many " residents".

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2015, 01:35 AM »
This is a joke that this thread has the most attention on the Alaska board.  I have fished for a couple years, heck I even liked fishing so much I decided to get a degree in fisheries.  I see nothing wrong the with the fish pictures posted earlier, keep them coming :)  Go fishing and stop the b***hing ;)
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2015, 11:47 AM »
So let me get this straight. On another post you don't want people pillaging fish on the lakes particularly lake Louise. But you could careless on how you handle the fish when caught? The point is we need to be carful when we release a fish. Not squeezing there guts and bringing them out of the tent in extreme cold just for a picture. All in all it does the same harm as clubbing it an taking it home. If it's handled poorly then it may die. Through the ice you can't get it back. So if you don't handle it well you may as well keep it so it isn't wasted. Food for thought!

if you fight a fish too long it could die also correct? so maybe we should put a time limit on how long you should fight a fight fish before saying well i dont want to fight it until its exhausted so i will cut the line.  but then you have left a hook in its mouth and that could potentially kill it also.  Anyways have you been out fishing at all lately?
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline Vohs574

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2015, 03:03 PM »
I haven't been out lately. Last time I was at lake Louise was when the ice had just started to form. At the end of October. We took the boat out for the last time at that time.

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2015, 12:42 PM »
FOLLOWING!!  BAHAHAHAHAHAHA this is hilarious.  The volunteer fish police squad has arrived.
U give a man a fish, u feed him for a day....I teach a man to fish.HE CATCHES ALL THE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Fishgod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:24 PM »
I haven't been out lately. Last time I was at lake Louise was when the ice had just started to form. At the end of October. We took the boat out for the last time at that time.

Ah, now everything makes sense in this thread. You need to spend your time more wisely. "A little less talk and a lot more action" GO FISHING!!!!!
Why do I always leave shrimp in my pocket from last week?

Offline repeatspawner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 23, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Prolonged air exposure can make it difficult for fish to recover and there are delayed negative effects that may not be apparent even if the fish seems fine when it swims away.

Studies have shown that the longer a fish is exposed to air after exhausting exercise the higher their mortality rates are (Ferguson and Tufts, 1992; Gale et al, 2011).  Even 30 seconds of air exposure reduces a trout’s ability to recover and can provide a significant additional stress even when catch and release fishing (Ferguson and Tufts, 1992).

Scientific References:

Gale et al, 2011: Physiological Impairment of adult Sockeye Salmon in Fresh Water after Simulated Capture and Release Across a Range of Temperatures

Pelletier et al., 2006: Do catch-and-release guidelines from state and provincial fisheries agencies in North America conform to scientifically based best practices?

Schreer et al., 2005: Swimming performance of brook trout after simulated catch-and-release angling: looking for air exposure thresholds

Hooton, 2001: The Impact of Angling on Steelhead in British Columbia

Ferguson and Tufts, 1992: Physiological Effects of Brief Air Exposure of Exhaustively Exercised Rainbow Trout (O. Mykiss): Implications for Catch and Release Fisheries

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #43 on: Jan 23, 2015, 03:31 PM »
maybe the squeezing was actually cpr to revive them before the release  ::)
If you drill it, they will come...

Offline AlaskaOutdoorsmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 23, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Here is a study done in Alaska by Alaska biologists titled, "An Investigation of Hooking Mortality of Lake Trout Angled Through Ice".  It is a long read but has some interesting findings.  Here is the link:  http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidPDFs/fds05-43.pdf

Offline JediMasterSalmonSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:30 PM »
This gets better everday.... ???

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Here is a study done in Alaska by Alaska biologists titled, "An Investigation of Hooking Mortality of Lake Trout Angled Through Ice".  It is a long read but has some interesting findings.  Here is the link:  http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidPDFs/fds05-43.pdf

Thanks for the link.  Good information from the limited study of Lake Trout in Alaska. 

In your attempts to propose a more conservative approach to lake trout management to the board of fish, contact one of the authors, Brian Taras.  He is a great guy and should be able to help justifying the need for action. 

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #47 on: Feb 03, 2015, 10:02 PM »
hold the phone....gotta go get the popcorn maker a poppin. Nothin like some good ole drama on ice shanty. Its just like tv soap opera....but better

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2015, 10:04 PM »
Your reference page is written incorrectly.....

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.