Author Topic: 9:45 on a Tuesday..  (Read 1618762 times)

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 9:45 on a Tuesday..
« Reply #12180 on: Apr 10, 2018, 01:45 PM »
Good Mid day to all.

WW, great catch there  :thumbsup: :clap:  Meeting was to get some of the paperwork out of the way.  At a minimum it will be part time, but shooting for a full time assignment.  Got filled in on what would change, for one thing the location of the live bait tank.  Sounds like it will be visible, but more like the view will be that of an aquarium.  Prevents the little ones dipping up minnows for a look see, and leaving some in the dip net to die. ::)  A bit of plumbing will be in order as the front of the building doesn't have either water, or a drain, a sump system is the plan to discharge water overhead and back to the back side of the building where the drain is.  Wonder how a crawdad in the tank would go over  ;D bet one would take care of its share of dead minnows.

Seeing hows, in Colorado "Trout" is king, an expanded fly fishing section will be evident.  Having gone through the setup process a year ago, will be a hands on repeat.  Looking forward to it. :flex:

Jeff, just the mention of carpel tunnel makes my right hand hurt, but its because I just bruised my wrist/thumb area with a near fall.  Hope it all goes to plan, and heals up real fast.

Now we are heading into the Fire Warnings season, high winds and low humidity.  Snow pack in some areas are only around 70% :o

Good day to all.

Bud

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12181 on: Apr 10, 2018, 02:58 PM »
Bud, sorry I missed that about your new job.....Congratulations

Do you know if your store will open early to sell minnows? I was wondering here what they were going to do. At the old Gander when it first opened they had a separate entrance and the bait part opened at 6am. Then eventually they just did away with the bait altogether.

In our now open, new (old) store, they again have bait, but it would appear if you wanted to buy some you would have to go the night before to get it ???

WS

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12182 on: Apr 10, 2018, 03:24 PM »
congrats on the PB WW that thing is huge.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12183 on: Apr 10, 2018, 07:41 PM »
Marv  Thank You.... Pretty sure there would be no early hours.  Its always in the past, needed to get picked night before.  But what a novel idea, drive up window.  for your breakfast, and bait all in the same stop.
Bud

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #12184 on: Apr 11, 2018, 03:13 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Clear/calm 24* this am, high of 46 here today. Wondering if we're ever going to have a Spring or just jump into summer?

Bud...congratulations on the new job,,that's awesome!! Be it part time or full time, hope everything works out well for you Sir!    :thumbsup:
  Wally...congratulation s on your personal best Brown, wow, that's a slammer!! Another great trip for you and Mr.WW, best of luck on your next trip....thanks for the pictures!!    :clap: :bow: :thumbsup:
  Jeff...glad the PT went well, sorry to read more surgery coming up, dang! Did they set a date yet for your surgery?
  Marv...hope everything went well with your job yesterday, glad you had some extra help with you. Was cherry cola on the menu?   ;D
  OG...thanks for the fox story, you had a great seat!!   :clap: :thumbsup:   Have you been out fishin'?
  H2...best of luck to you and the team in the finale!!   :thumbsup:

We had an early start again yesterday and I fell behind on time to post. Got the word yesterday we have an outside job coming up starting next week at some point....hope the temps improve a bit, these consistent 20* mornings are getting old, lol.
  Yesterday morning a NYS Trooper stopped by our work area to see what the heck we were up to just before the jackhammers fired up slightly after 4am. Real nice guy, very tall, about 6'7" or so with a strong NYC accent. He swung by and watched our procedure throughout the morning while on his patrol from the tear out to getting it ready to pour this morning. Mentioned it was nice seeing guys working hard for living again, he was actually a union laborer at one time down in the City...but didn't miss the jack hammering.  :roflmao:   Cawfee's on....
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing!

Online ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12185 on: Apr 11, 2018, 04:45 AM »

Good morning Eddie, ER's,
                             It's 23* here on my hill, the weather cat is in, he's been staring at a baseboard heater for a long time. Then I saw some movement \,
                   it's a mouse. :%$#!: He'll get it eventually. :clap:
                             Wally.......Congratula tions on the PB, nice fish, looks like a wall hanger to me! :thumbsup: :clap:
                             OG...........I like the fox story as well! :clap:
                             Marv.........I can't wait to hear how your job went yesterday, I see more snow might be headed your way! :cookoo:
                             Steve........How is the house coming, it should be almost done. ???
                             Eddie........The state trooper probably doesn't miss the work but appreciates seeing others doing it.
                             The surgery that I'm going to have, I've put off for about a year so I thought it's about time to get it done. Thanks to everyone
                   for the well wishes on it. No date as yet I have the pre op physical next Wednesday.
                             I hope everyone has a great Wednesday Hump Day either at work or out catching fish.

IW

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12186 on: Apr 11, 2018, 05:28 AM »
Good Morning Eddie, IW! Good Morning Everyone :bow:

30 degrees with temps climbing to 48. You are correct IW, rain friday night snow on Saturday just don't know how much :%$#!:

Yesterdays job went well. We were able to get the tree down by 11am and I had most of it cut up by Crown time ;D. Everyone was in the best of spirits when when it was time to leave :whistle: I am going to go back today to finish cutting up a log that I needed my bigger saw for.

Today I need to take my medium saw apart and see what's making a noise. As loud as chainsaws are I hate when they make a strange sound ??? I am pretty sure something just needs a little tightening.

Hope you all have an excellent Tuesday :thumbsup: As always stay safe!

WS

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12187 on: Apr 11, 2018, 05:45 AM »
Good Morning ER's....ah Marv ??  This cherry cola you speak of, it something with the wrong label ?  ;) Doesn't sound like its stale.

I am struggling to remember when there is no longer a freezing temp Still seeing roller coaster weather from 70's to freezing yeah its getting old.

I plan on giving notice today, at the one, and hope to have a little break in between.  I have a feeling its going to seem like round the clock just before the opening day arrives.

Good day all.
Bud

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12188 on: Apr 11, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Afternoon all,

Thank you all for the congrats on the fish  :)  It was definitely an eye opener  :woot:  BTW all the fish were released  ;)2

Another strange weather day, one minute the sun's shining w/o a cloud in the sky, the next thing you know it's SNOWING like crazy :cookoo: :%$#!: Looks like we're in for at least a full week of rain and wind  >:(  Sure hope summer is nicer than spring has been so far  @)

Hope everyone has been having a good day whether at work or play. Enjoy the evening and stay safe.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12189 on: Apr 11, 2018, 03:31 PM »
Today is the warmest it has been since February. We started out with snow coming down pretty good but it only stuck for a while. We are in for a couple of days of warmup then back to snow.

A tiring day today for both of us. The wife had two appointments in the city today. The first was for a preop. physical for her gall bladder removal surgery next Monday. She got right in and was out in short time. She said the PA noticed she also had a thyroid problem by the looks of her hands and fingernails. She knew it because of the test she had recently after our Primary Doc was only going by a couple normal tests so she went around him to get her gastric doc to run another more specialized test that showed the thyroid was way out of whack. Dealing with the thyroid is next on her list after the gall bladder is out.

Her next appoinment was for a maogram. She was in and out of there in a short time. The place she went has valet parking. Those guys were actually running trying to take care of all of the cars comming and going. The guy that runs the parking really has a head on his shoulders to be able to keep things straight.

We actualy had time to beat the noon hour rush at our favorite place to eat while in town. We got our favorite waitress so she just told me what I normally had while there. It is fish fry night at the local VFW but I do not really need anything to eat after eating my early lunch.

ww I am with you on the screwed up spring and hoping summer is  back to normal. You and your hubby sure get into some nice fish and planty of them.

WS I never got to work for some one that came out with a toddy or two when the work day was done.

IFF I hope the new job goes well. We have had roller coaster weather but with out the high temps. Just snow and then some sun followed by more snow with out any warm temps untill today.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #12190 on: Apr 11, 2018, 04:29 PM »
Greetings fellow 9:45ers made some notes my apology if I miss commenting on someone's posts. The house is about ready to go on market some cleaning and furniture removal plus a few odds and ends left have to contact lawyer and see if property title mix up has been corrected.
Ice Wanderer sorry to read you decided to sell your motorcycle. Best with the hand surgery and shoulder.
Eddie glad truck problem was an easy fix. Always nice to get compliment on your work.
IFF all the best with Gander Outdoors.
Wallyworld congratulations on a great day of fishing and your personal best brown trout.
Tom Turkey all the best to your wife with her gall bladder  surgery and thyroid problem.
Whopper Stopper nice surprise from your wife on the concert. Did you complete new job at your cherry coke drinking buddies house.
Old Goat good story about the fox.
Icefisher-45 hope things are better for you now that insurance is back.
Hunts2long may your bowling improve as match for league title gets closer.

Weather guessers calling for periods of rain today through Friday. If they are correct Friday will feel like spring with high forecasted to be in seventies. A good evening to all stay safe. I try and post more frequently in coming days.
Steve

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12191 on: Apr 12, 2018, 01:28 AM »
Morning Everyone,
  33* this am, high of 52 here today with some rain expected late morning.

Steve...congratulation s on getting the house ready, best wishes with the title and a quick sale!   :clap:  :thumbsup:
  Tom...busy day for you and your wife, glad you got a chance to enjoy some of it at your favorite restaurant. Best wishes to your wife getting that thyroid problem under control.   :thumbsup:
  Wally...looks like the mud season is coming again for a few days. At least the rain and milder temps the next few days should wipe out the remaining snow anyway. Any plans on your next trip out?
  Marv...glad everything went well, hope your saw problem was an easy fix!   :thumbsup:
  Jeff...how did the weather cat do hunting?  ;D.

Early start this am, will check in later to see how everyone's doing!  Cawfee's on....
Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing!

Online ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12192 on: Apr 12, 2018, 04:58 AM »

Good morning Eddie, ER's,
                          It's 31* here on my hill with warmer temps and rain in the forecast. I hope it melts the 1+ foot that is still on the ground around my house! :whistle:
                          Eddie........You guys at work are probably pounding away while most of us are still in bed. ::) The cat finally got the mouse just when my wife got
                 up. She doesn't like seeing that kind of thing. ::)
                          Steve.........Glad to hear that the house is just about ready to go. I hope it sells quickly for you' :flex:
                          Marv.........I hope your chainsaw fix goes easy for you. ???
                          Tom..........It sounds like you and the Mrs. had a busy day, ending up at your favorite restaurant must have been a plus! :thumbsup:
                          Another therapy session today at the VA, I have been doing the exercises the the therapist gave me and there hasn't been any change at this
                 point, but its still early in the process.
                          I hope everyone has a good Thursday, pay day for those working, either at work or at play.

IW

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12193 on: Apr 12, 2018, 05:05 AM »
Good Morning Eddie! Good Morning Everyone :bow:

33 at the moment with a high of 50. Today is the calm before the hammer drops by Saturday night. Hard to say what we will all get but there should be something for everyone.

mr.clean sounds like you are close to being able to take a big breath. Hope the layer has good news :thumbsup:

Eddie Thanks for the coffee Sir! The saw was just a muffler bolt causing a high pitched exhaust leak. It ended up being a free fix minus a half hour so I will gladly take it. :clap:

WW hope the day finds you and Mr.WW plotting and planning your next trip out :thumbsup:

Yesterday I had my sit down with the boss. I told him it’s been an interesting 32 years, but frankly the fun is gone and the body says it’s had enough. It was probably one of the best talks we have ever had in my whole time working for him.  He reminded me of some of the crazy things I had done over the years and I returned the favor with some special memories of my own. I think we parted as friends and he said the door is always open, and he’s only a phone call away. A big chapter closes for me,  time for a new one to open.

Good Morning IW! Good luck at the VA :thumbsup:

Hope everyone had an excellent day no matter what's on the planner :thumbsup: As always stay safe!

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12194 on: Apr 12, 2018, 05:21 AM »
Morning all,

IW....good luck at the VA today  :)  congrats to the weather kitty on a good catch  :flex: :thumbsup:

MrC.....hope the house sale goes quickly  ;)

TT.....best wishes to MrsTT on her upcoming surgery and thyroid issues  @)

WS....glad to hear you made your decision about work, I'm sure it wasn't an easy one  ;)   glad that you and the boss had a good talk & parted ways as friends  :thumbsup:  best wishes as you begin a new phase in life, enjoy  :clap:

Eddie....hope things warm up before the outside work begins  ;D

Have a good day at work or play. Stay safe.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12195 on: Apr 12, 2018, 06:22 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS Marv!!!!!  :clap: :thumbsup:  :bow:

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12196 on: Apr 12, 2018, 07:08 AM »
Good Morning ER's  Well its official, I accepted the job offer.  At a minimum it will be part time, and I am fine with that.  I had expressed my desire that it be full time, so it looks like for starters it will border on overtime for the first couple weeks.  Will just have to wait and see if managing the fishing department will be in the cards.  The offer of employment was sent by email in the form of a Word document, which was not installed on my laptop, so had to bite the bullet and purchase Microsoft Office at least a year at $99.  Oh well, comes with the territory  ::)  And no doubt I would have to be able to use Office features to be "Up to Speed"  Official start date will be May 13th, Mothers day I believe. I just hope I get a few days between having a job to go to that allows me a little fishing time.

Woke up with what I would describe is carpel tunnel, both hands numb.  Sure hope that passes.

Marv X2 Congratulations on getting that "Chapter" closed out on your terms.  :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  I can sure understand about the ware and tear on the body. 

I spent a little time with the new chain saw at what remains of my stump, and had to put it away, one the chain needed to be resharpened, and two it didn't want to fire back up, think it was just two hot.   

hope all the appointments go well if you have that on your plate, now think its time to hit the bike.

best to all
Bud

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12197 on: Apr 12, 2018, 07:16 AM »
Good morning everyone, Tom Turkey hope your wife is feeling better, iff congratulations on the new job. I hope everyone has a great day and tight lines to those on the water.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12198 on: Apr 12, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Congrats WS! It says a lot about a relationship when you can sit down after 32 years and walk away as friends with an open door. Enjoy whatever comes next!! Hope you fellas all have a good day  :)
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #12199 on: Apr 12, 2018, 07:38 AM »
WS, you made the right decision!! We've pretty much all have been hoping that you would make it. Now it's life on your terms!! Congratulations buddy!!!  :thumbsup: :clap: :bow:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #12200 on: Apr 12, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Good morning everyone lots of news today.
IFF congratulations, :clap: :clap: may working for Gander Outdoors be an enjoyable experience.
Whopper Stopper all the best with your retirement sure between side jobs and honey do list you will keep busy.
Ice Wanderer glad the "weather cat" got the mouse. May the therapy exercises start to help your shoulder.
Eddie hope Spring like temperatures arrive before you begin outside work.

Thank you all for the well wishes with the house. Have a good and safe Thursday folks.
Steve

Online ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12201 on: Apr 13, 2018, 04:33 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                          It's a balmy 42* here on my hill, I see on the weather that it's just a teaser though, cooler temps back on Monday. :cookoo:
                          Marv........Congratula tions on your decision, :clap: I think you'll enjoy the time away from the jungle. From all the conversations about you and
                 your boss, there is no reason why you shouldn't have parted as friends. You gave him 32 years of good service and he respects that it's time after
                 all the abuse you did to yourself for his company. :flex:
                          Bud........Congratulat ions on your new job, I think it will work out for you. :clap:
                          Steve/And everyone.........Thank s for the encouraging words on my therapy but it's not going too well, yesterday, during the second exercise my
                 shoulder muscles started to quiver and ache. On one excerise there was a loud pop and the therapist looked at me and asked if that happens often. My
                 answer was "was" she gave me this puzzled look, like that's not suppose to happen. :unsure:
                          Eddie........I hope you had an early start and that Gremlins didn't get your computer. ???
                          I hope everyone has a good Friday either at work or at play.

IW

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12202 on: Apr 13, 2018, 05:19 AM »
Good Morning IW! Good Morning Everyone :bow:

First off Thanks to all of you that offered your best wishes to me on my retirement. I appreciate it more than I can say. I am looking forward to a more laid back life style and will in no way miss firing up the old Buick and  going to the jungle every day. I heard from my co workers yesterday, it was pretty nice but I have to say it was sad also.

IW sorry to hear about your PT experience. We are all hoping things get better for you :thumbsup:

Today things are going to slowly head into the turd gutter :cookoo: Things are quiet now but by noon the winds kick in and then the rain, sleet, and snow goes all evening and through tomorrow. In the end most guessers are thinking 8"-12" but the ice roads will make travel near impossible in many areas :%$#!: My wife is happy that it will be a weekend event and she won't have to deal with it :clap:

Firebox detail for me this morning. Then making a double check on the snow blower so everything is ready to go.

Hope you all have an excellent Friday! Stay safe!

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12203 on: Apr 13, 2018, 06:12 AM »
Morning all,

IW.....sorry to hear the PT isn't going very well  :(  did your therapist change your exercise routine  ???

WS.....sounds like a pretty nasty weekend  :%$#!:  sure is getting old seeing snow/ice in the forecast  :nono: better dust off the cribbage game  :roflmao:

Looks like some of that icy weather will makes it's way east by tomorrow night  ::)  not anywhere near as bad as WS's neck of the woods tho, just enough to slick up the roads and bring down power lines  >:(  hopefully people plan ahead and stay off the roads  ;)

Have a good day at work or play. Stay safe.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12204 on: Apr 13, 2018, 06:24 AM »
Good Morning WW, Marv, other ER's

Welcome to friday, I just got greeted to about 2" of snow on my deck.  And bracing for more wind today like Marv.

Marv I've been meaning to ask you what angle you prefer your chain saws be set at ?  Most are at what 20-25*  ??? ???

Kind of funny to me.  Calling in to say I am giving a two week notice.  Not something I have ever done before.  Now if the weather would co-operate, I would like to get in some fishing before being faced with 12+ hour work days.

Ohmygosh, just realized its Friday the 13th, now I know I am staying in.......Just in case  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Bud

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12205 on: Apr 13, 2018, 06:24 AM »
It stayed above freezing overnight (34), must be Spring.

IW, glad the kinks are working out. I keep telling the wife, "it's the weather".

WS, best wishes with your new JOB, but now you are the BOSS.

I see the DEC stocking trout yesterday. They put in 3000 rainbows about 10/11 inches. The best part is they dumped them at an area where there is NO fishing until May 5th. That should give them a chance to spread out. A couple years ago they stocked when season was open and it was like a zoo. It would have been just as good to give each person a 5 gallon bucket of fish. I was sure that year there were guys catching trout to take home to their own ponds.

Hope everyone has a great Friday the 13th....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12206 on: Apr 13, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Another run to the other place yesterday. What makes me wonder is why I have not seen any turkeys in all of the travels I have made recently. There were some old turkey tracks on the property yesterday so that I was good. My son who travels all over for a pest control company says he has seen very few turkeys in his travels. I guess I will have to hunt my life long hunting buddy's property as he has a few around his place.

WS It is good to here you have given up the tree job in the city.  I have worked for a few outfits that had some bosses that sound like him. That was the reason that I became self employed the last few years I was able to work.

Need to get on the move so we can go get some groceries before the stores get too busy.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12207 on: Apr 13, 2018, 08:49 AM »
Marv I've been meaning to ask you what angle you prefer your chain saws be set at ?  Most are at what 20-25*  ??? ???

I usually use Stihl chains and filed to an angle of about 30° - parallel to the "service mark" that's etched on the tops of each cutter showing the proper filing angle. I have a jig that I put over the tooth to help keep the stroke level and angle close. I find that proper raker height is about as important as chain sharpness in making the chips fly.

r2l and TT Thanks for the comments and wishes :thumbsup:

I can't wait to be done with this snow so I can start spending my time doing some outside fun things.

WS

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12208 on: Apr 13, 2018, 02:15 PM »
I usually use Stihl chains and filed to an angle of about 30° - parallel to the "service mark" that's etched on the tops of each cutter showing the proper filing angle. I have a jig that I put over the tooth to help keep the stroke level and angle close. I find that proper raker height is about as important as chain sharpness in making the chips fly.

Thanks Marv.  I like to really toss the chips if the motor has the power, and first thing I do, even on a new chain is shorten the raker height
Bud

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12209 on: Apr 14, 2018, 04:38 AM »
Good Morning ER's

Waiting to see what the results are for what they are now calling the Friday the 13th blizzard.  Its 27* out on the deck,  A Walleye Tournament is scheduled for my home lake today, and think the temp at launch time is expected to be 30* and winds are still at 20 mph.  On the bright side its suppose to be full sunshine.  I need to gas up the blazer, so might as well go over for a look.  Glad I am not in this one.

Just peaked out in the hallway, and noone out there ?  Must be sleeping in this morning.  I'll put some fresh coffee on and there's glazed donuts under the dome, help yourself while they last.

hope your day goes to your liking
Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.