The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anybody been up to hebgen lately  (Read 861 times)

Offline Mr. iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
Anybody been up to hebgen lately
« on: Jan 11, 2010, 12:08 PM »
wondering if the dam is fishing good? if the trout are biting

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anybody been up to hebgen lately
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2010, 02:23 PM »
historically i have heard good things, but as of late no good news from anyone I know... the only place that says the fishing is great is sportsmans in bozeman, and they just want to sell u gear.  As for me I will stick to canyon ferry this year, the best place for trout of a good size near bozeman period, and half hour closer drive than hebgen anyway.

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2010, 03:49 PM »
I fished it last week and did ok. We were going to hit the dam but the parking lot is closed. The dam work is closed for the season but the access is too! I could see evidence of fishing but it was from snowmobile. No trail to the lake that I found. The closed off limit area doesn't include the lake according to the map but... It blows that another legal tax paid access area is closed. What gives? The dam is safe and the ice thick.
We fished up by the Happy Hour bar instead. Trout to 20 in. but slow. I had some rookies and they missed a bunch. When the sun came out we had bites. I shoveled a large area to allow light. 40 ft of water. Fish were at all depths. Maggots and worms with glow jigs. Fished 6 hours. Normally at the dam we do much better. Snow was 16 in as was the ice. Plan to go again and find a way to sneak in at the dam. With just a bucket and rods. No sled access. Did not see another fisherman!
Tight lines  grant
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline Rap Jigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:54 PM »
Mr. Ice man

If you go let us know how you did. Ive been wanting to head up there but can't talk my cousin into going with me. Maybe a glowing review would help...

Offline DC711

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:59 AM »
I fished at the hebgen dam on sunday afternoon and was able to park next to the work trailers. We had a few rainbows bite in 25-30 fow. It was possible to take a small shack onto this part of the lake, but you couldn't get a 4 wheeler down there.

Offline Mr. iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:52 AM »
I fished it last week and did ok. We were going to hit the dam but the parking lot is closed. The dam work is closed for the season but the access is too! I could see evidence of fishing but it was from snowmobile. No trail to the lake that I found. The closed off limit area doesn't include the lake according to the map but... It blows that another legal tax paid access area is closed. What gives? The dam is safe and the ice thick.
We fished up by the Happy Hour bar instead. Trout to 20 in. but slow. I had some rookies and they missed a bunch. When the sun came out we had bites. I shoveled a large area to allow light. 40 ft of water. Fish were at all depths. Maggots and worms with glow jigs. Fished 6 hours. Normally at the dam we do much better. Snow was 16 in as was the ice. Plan to go again and find a way to sneak in at the dam. With just a bucket and rods. No sled access. Did not see another fisherman!
Tight lines  grant
Thanks man,  when i hit hebgen i'll fish the dam and let you know how i did

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.