The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: East Gallatin Rec area aka. "Bozeman Beach" off Manley off Griffin  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Little spring fed pond guess it was old dump site. Spring runs into East Gallatin. Got out of work early today went to catch some suckers for bait for Jigmaster 5000. It was cold friends. COLD< COLD like absolute zero cold. Like every thirty second skimming the hole COLD. Well below zero. I fished two holes one 8 deep the other 10. One mid sized pearch on 12" rainbow. Went to Bozeman seafood downtown after it got dark bought some jmbo shrimp and made a big pot of jambalaya after lots of tabasco.
I'm using 2 pound berkley fire ice crystal (I tie on a ten foot leader uni to uni to my 10 lb power pro backing. It is the best I have ever used.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does your Ice Crystal or Power Pro accumulate water and ice up in those super-cold temps?

I'd like to fish superline on all my winter reels, but the ones rigged with Fireline eventually ice up on really cold days.
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
Bozeiceman I must suck at sucker fishing... went to the same pond and all I could catch were bows!

Jigmaster,
Just keep fishing that pond.  I used to live in Bozeman a few years back and icefished East Gallatin Pond from time to time.  Some trips I caught good numbers of suckers and then just a few or none on another trip.  Not rocket science.  I recall catching them at various depths but always near the bottom.  I think I mostly used small pimples with maggots for bait.

Was helpful to have the sonar when fishing there.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Was there after sunset last night -10 below again. Caught a small rainbow and a 12" sucker jigging a pimple with maggot. Yeh, I love the Fireline crystal 2lb but it Does ice up in cold temps. Pain in the ass.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
Warning:  Putting the logo on your posts makes you subject to ridicule, jokes and a good time all round.  This could end up being bad for your mariage and career if you end up spending too much time on the Ice Shanty and not working!!!   

Where excatly do you live Mr. One?

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
Warning:  Putting the logo on your posts makes you subject to ridicule, jokes and a good time all round.  This could end up being bad for your mariage and career if you end up spending too much time on the Ice Shanty and not working!!!   

Where excatly do you live Mr. One?

You must be teaming up with jigmaster

WHAT DID I START????????? EH Jiggy

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Everyone else was watching the superbowl, I was at the E. Gallatin rec area. Fishing maggots and worms. The temp had been dam cold here tonight I was out there at sunset near 50 degrees! Not a fish or a hit. My worm didn't even break a sweat. The sunset was great. The beer was cold. The best thing was someone had gone through and swiss cheesed the place with 10" holes! Since it was 50 no holes were icing up. I was fishing with Berkley crystal ice 2lb test #10" Gamakatsu hooks glo hooks droppers about a foot above w/ maggots. I systematically fished each hole top to bottom Not a dam thing.
I met a experianced ice guy named Lloyd. We talked ice, and Fort Peak. I just knew the Bears couldn't do it.
I decided that in 07 I want a Swiftwater Ranger rescue vest.

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'll be out there Saturdayon and off, anyone one sees a guy with a sled and chair stop by and help drill some holes!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.