Author Topic: Open lakes  (Read 764 times)

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Open lakes
« on: Feb 11, 2024, 11:32 AM »
Drove around a few lakes round lake,Shriner lake ,Kuhn lake  all clear.I assumed wawasee would be free also.WRONG😡A pretty good sized ice sheet remains at access .We need a good warm rain and more wind to completely break it up.I fished Shriner just to get out,no walleye or perch.Another boat fishing the deep water picked up a few perch.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
Re: Open lakes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2024, 09:18 AM »
Defiantly been an afternoon thing. Heavy skim ice each morning but thaws by the afternoon. water has been 39.7 in some places.  the bite is there if you can get out to it. Also seen alot of perch in the 5-7' range schooling around the weeds already.  we have mostly been walleye and bass fishing and doing good, mostly jerkbaits.
we did find an area LOADED with gills on the pan optics so might re gear and target them.  some were a foot under the surface just soaking up the sun over 20fow.
I would just like to have one or the other....open water or safe ice.  this in between thing sucks!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2024, 08:17 PM »
Thats interesting on the eyes and jerkbaits.  I would have guessed that to be too much of an aggressive presentation. 

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2024, 08:19 PM »
But then The water is almost 40 degrees in mid feb…. Wow who woulda thunk it!!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2024, 02:52 PM »
sorta aggressive, they are staged prespawn,  just off the steep breaks by spawning flats. jerk it over the break and just let it hang there. baits about 6' down in 10' ish fow....  if not hit in 2 or 3 jerks reel in and re cast. were sitting in 25' casting to 4'.
it is not a subtle bite for the walleye, they slam it, bass just feel like a mushy thing or a weed.
way better than slowly dragging a jig or watching a bobber...I'm to ADD for that.
The pattern has worked at numerous lakes up here in the NE counties.  as soon as you can launch a boat it works and just gets better.

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2024, 03:35 PM »
A-bomb - that is a great presentation this time of year when you can get out on open water. A buddy of mine actually turned me onto it awhile back and I thought he was crazy when I first heard it, but it can put eyes in the boat pretty quickly!

BRB - trying to figure out your blurred background just for the heck of it  ;D
Limit your kill - Don't kill your limit!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2024, 04:27 PM »
Well there are only 4 lakes up here that have prespawn size eyes so you have a 25% chance on your guess!
But it works 100% on all of them!
Got a 6#and a few of her followers off sylvan.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.